Siku Control Battery Recall

catkom3

I received a Newsletter from Siku today saying they were recalling some R/C batteries,here is a copy,

Control-Sicherheit-web.jpg

• Battery (item no. 6711)
  • John Deere Tracked Tractor (item no. 6761, 6762 or 6763)
  • John Deere Tractor 8345R (item no. 6771, 6772 or 6773)
  • Fendt Front Loader (item no. 6769)

Under adverse conditions, the defect on the 6711 battery may cause the battery to heat up excessively. As a responsible manufacturer of high-quality toys, we cannot under any circumstances accept reductions in quality and safety.

In order to exclude any risks, especially the danger of overheating with a possible fire risk, we request that you cease using the models, remove the battery from the device as soon as possible and return the complete product (model including charging device, remote control and battery, as well as any spare batteries of type 6711) to your toy retailer. Or send the item back to our importer. In both cases, you will be fully refunded the purchase price.

You can find further information here:

Affected productsRecall processFAQContactReturns form - returns via retailer

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Your SIKU team

I fully understand that Siku feel a need to recall the affected items, but as I understand it they will only refund up to the RRP(Recommended Retail Price).

For people in Germany this is not a problem as most prices there are a bit lower than the RRP, so they won't lose money, at least in most cases!

But for Denmark and probably a lot other countries, most customers may have paid a price quite higher than the RRP, and they will end up losing a lot of money!

Siku says that you must return the items for safety reasons, so what should one do if you're in a lose-lose situation?

If I keep my models, I lose the warranty and if I return them I'm gonna lose a lot of money  :-

Siku in the recall statement do not mention replacing the battery, only returning to either the place/dealer/shop you bought the item or directly to Siku. If I had one of the affected items I would first find out from Siku if the item can be replaced by them directly or from the dealer/shop. What's the point of having the model if there's no replacement for the battery?

our member "sikufarmer" and his topic never ending layout, is going to have a very empty layout with this one , going to hack a lot of convo guys off to, loads of them have been pulled apart for custom stuff that we see, like roppa harvesters, combines various implements  and a likes

Siku in the recall statement do not mention replacing the battery, only returning to either the place/dealer/shop you bought the item or directly to Siku. If I had one of the affected items I would first find out from Siku if the item can be replaced by them directly or from the dealer/shop. What's the point of having the model if there's no replacement for the battery?

There isn't much point in keeping the affected models unless you've got plenty of spare batteries, but then you might be in trouble if you need a spare part!

I have bought 4 of the affected models last year:

1 Siku 6769 with front loader bought at Amazon.de for 183,19 EUR which probably be full refunded.

1 Siku 6771 John Deere 8345 for 214 EUR and 1 Siku 6769 with front loader for 268 EUR, both bought at a danish store which doesn't exist anymore, returning these to Siku will definately result in losing a lot of money.

And this is the worst, in july last year I bought a Siku 6762 John Deere 8430T with light upgrades + electric front hydraulic from a famous ebay seller who specializes in such for 461 EUR, returning this to Siku will result in losing more than half of the money.

So why not return it to them and get a full refund you might ask?

I have written them, and so have others without any answer, all the modification they make are unofficial and I seriously doubt that Siku will cover their loss!

Lots of people are left without any replacement and a refund which in some cases is much less than what they paid - That is simply not fair!

Presuming that the Siku Company is situated within the EU then you the customer should, under the Sale of Goods Act, be protected and should be entitled to a full refund or replacement. Siku, by publishing this recall, has admitted there is a fault with their product and as so have declared it 'unfit for use' and should, if not replace the faulty part, give you a full refund for the full amount paid no mater where you purchased the item but you will need the original shop receipt for 'proof of purchase'. I am no expert on EU Law but you should be protected by it. For those of you that have purchased within the UK, print off the recall statement, try and find your purchase receipt and take the lot back to the shop and present it to the shop owner or assistant and see how you go.

Can't belive they don't just send replacement battery's out to all effected rather than do full recalls of the whole set , unless it's more than just the battery effected ? . Would be a lot cheaper for them , save any agro with the losses or gains some people would suffer, and act as a better customer care point to , as long as your old one goes back first job done

Can't belive they don't just send replacement battery's out to all effected rather than do full recalls of the whole set , unless it's more than just the battery effected ? . Would be a lot cheaper for them , save any agro with the losses or gains some people would suffer, and act as a better customer care point to , as long as your old one goes back first job done

Siku say it's only the battery which causes problems, and they have tried fixing it, but with no success, that is why they decided to recall all models using their midi battery!

I have written to Siku explaining my situation and hopefully we'll find a fair solution, so I don't lose several hundred euros by only getting refunds with a max of their RRP which for 3 of my 4 models is significantly lower than what I paid for them!

No doubt that the best thing is to return them to the store where they were bought, but for some people that isn't possible, in these cases Siku will refund according to their RRP(recommended retail price)

In the case of those that have to return their models to Siku I would point out to them that their RRP is not always what the outlets sell for, although the retailer buys from Siku at a trade price, Siku 'recommend' a retail selling price but the shop, within reason, can sell the item for whatever price it feels right for them to make a profit. If enough contact Siku and make the point that the purchase price was above the RRP and where possible include the proof of purchase and ask for a FULL refund. For those that purchased from an online store and you have the proof of purchase from them contact them and see what they are prepared to do.

Siku say it's only the battery which causes problems, and they have tried fixing it, but with no success, that is why they decided to recall all models using their midi battery!

I have written to Siku explaining my situation and hopefully we'll find a fair solution, so I don't lose several hundred euros by only getting refunds with a max of their RRP which for 3 of my 4 models is significantly lower than what I paid for them!

No doubt that the best thing is to return them to the store where they were bought, but for some people that isn't possible, in these cases Siku will refund according to their RRP(recommended retail price)

if it is just the battery as they claim, then why not ask for a battery to be sent back, and replace it that way? ??? why would you need the whole model back, ??? if you get a normal siku tractor arrive broken say the cab , you e-mail them and they send a replacement part out, bang job done simple and straight forward. ok these are rc ,but only 1 part of the item is faulty,the battery, why not employ the same policy

If they're asking for the whole caboodle to go back then they obviously haven't got a fix for it yet in having a 'safe' battery unit to replace the faulty ones. Something perhaps Siku can clarify.

if it is just the battery as they claim, then why not ask for a battery to be sent back, and replace it that way? ??? why would you need the whole model back, ??? if you get a normal siku tractor arrive broken say the cab , you e-mail them and they send a replacement part out, bang job done simple and straight forward. ok these are rc ,but only 1 part of the item is faulty,the battery, why not employ the same policy

If the batteries just stopped working it probably wouldn't be a problem, but there have been reports of fire because of the batteries suddenly heating up even though the model wasn't turned on!

It's all about safety, Siku mostly sell toys for children, imagine what it would do to their reputation if a kid was badly hurt or even killed because of a faulty battery which they already knew was potentially dangerous - They had no other choice than to recall.

If the batteries just stopped working it probably wouldn't be a problem, but there have been reports of fire because of the batteries suddenly heating up even though the model wasn't turned on!

It's all about safety, Siku mostly sell toys for children, imagine what it would do to their reputation if a kid was badly hurt or even killed because of a faulty battery which they already knew was potentially dangerous - They had no other choice than to recall.

ah, with you. not seen that info mentioned, guess they must have been made by the same people as the boeing 787 Dreamliner batteries then :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I emailed Siku explaining my problems about a refund at RRP being much less than what I paid, and here's the answer I got...

Dear Sir or Madam,

I will be back in the office February 3, 2014 and contact you then. Mails are not forwarded.

Don't really know what to think of it other than had it been me giving my clients such a message(I work in IT support), I'd be in trouble  ;D 

that's very bad on sikus behalf, ok the main person may be on holiday, but given they are in the middle of a high? profile recall  ,  surely you leave somebody from the same office covering that person so the e-mails etc can be responded to. the cover person may not be 100% up on the issue but at least they can deal with it in general . it almost smacks of them not really caring, why make such  fuss getting stuff sent back if you can not be bothered to reply to the questions

I fail to see the problem,Siku's recall statement clearly states,

In both cases, you will be fully refunded the purchase price.

Dear SIKU fans!

In rare cases, our batteries with item number 6711 may present a technical defect. As a result and as a precautionary measure, we are recalling this battery and the three models from the SIKU Control 32 range in which this battery is installed.

Battery (item no. 6711)
John Deere Tracked Tractor (item no. 6761, 6762 or 6763)
John Deere Tractor 8345R (item no. 6771, 6772 or 6773)
Fendt Front Loader (item no. 6769)

Under adverse conditions, the defect on the 6711 battery may cause the battery to heat up excessively. As a responsible manufacturer of high-quality toys, we cannot under any circumstances accept reductions in quality and safety.

In order to exclude any risks, especially the danger of overheating with a possible fire risk, we request that you cease using the models, remove the battery from the device as soon as possible and return the complete product (model including charging device, remote control and battery, as well as any spare batteries of type 6711) to your toy retailer. Or send the item back to us directly. In both cases, you will be fully refunded the purchase price.

NO mention of RRP there,??

Regards

Joe.

I fail to see the problem,Siku's recall statement clearly states,

In both cases, you will be fully refunded the purchase price.

Dear SIKU fans!

In rare cases, our batteries with item number 6711 may present a technical defect. As a result and as a precautionary measure, we are recalling this battery and the three models from the SIKU Control 32 range in which this battery is installed.

Battery (item no. 6711)

John Deere Tracked Tractor (item no. 6761, 6762 or 6763)

John Deere Tractor 8345R (item no. 6771, 6772 or 6773)

Fendt Front Loader (item no. 6769)

In order to exclude any risks, especially the danger of overheating with a possible fire risk, we request that you cease using the models, remove the battery from the device as soon as possible and return the complete product (model including charging device, remote control and battery, as well as any spare batteries of type 6711) to your toy retailer. Or send the item back to us directly. In both cases, you will be fully refunded the purchase price.

NO mention of RRP there,??

Regards

Joe.

Take look here, it is very clear that they only pay up to a max of the RRP  ;)

http://www.siku.de/en/service/sicherheit/faq/6/return-6.html

Look for the answer to:

I cannot remember where I bought the product. My retailer does not want to take back the product. I bought the product from a retailer that no longer exists. I bought the product while I was on holiday. The retailer is a long way away.

ANSWER:

Please send the product directly to us. We will refund you the purchase price you paid (maximum: RRP).

Reading through the list of drop down answers the point about the difference between what they term as the RRP and what was actually paid, they don't seem to understand that the retail price charged by the shop may have been more than the RRP, perhaps someone, or everyone, should contact Siku and point this out to them, it's still a little confusing, clarity is needed from Siku, are they going to pay out what you paid for the affected model or what they recommend the retailers sell them for? 

Reading through the list of drop down answers the point about the difference between what they term as the RRP and what was actually paid, they don't seem to understand that the retail price charged by the shop may have been more than the RRP, perhaps someone, or everyone, should contact Siku and point this out to them, it's still a little confusing, clarity is needed from Siku, are they going to pay out what you paid for the affected model or what they recommend the retailers sell them for? 

Well said Tim,surly in this day and age there should be some mention of RRP in Siku's recall statement,something not right somewhere,!!

Regards

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

February 4th I finally got a reply from Siku about how much I would be refunded and the answer was not what I had hoped for, they are sorry that I had paid more than the RRP because they do not refund higher than that price  :-
I have 4 models and 1 extra battery for which I have paid 1126 EUR and according to their RRP my refund will be  811 EUR which means that if I return all my affected items I'll be losing 315 EUR :'(
As i have written earlier in this thread, I bought a Siku 6762 John Deere 8430T with light upgrades + electric front hydraulic from a famous ebay seller who specializes in such for 461 EUR and the refund for this will only be 239 EUR, so I am considering reducing my loss by keeping this model + the extra battery and returning the remaining 3 models.
I have tried emailing the ebay seller without a reply, I will try once more, but I have a feeling that even if they do reply, I won't be getting a full refund by the way they refer to Siku's recall in their ebay store...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Service-Fronthydraulik-Umbau-John-Deere-Raupe-Siku-control-1-32-NEU-/230962989029?pt=Spielzeugautos&hash=item35c67787e5

Bevor Sie in den Genuss kommen Ihren Traktor bei uns umbauen zu lassen, lesen Sie bitte den Sicherheitshinweis von Siku auf folgende Seite:
http://www.siku.de/de/service/sicherheit.html 
Um jedes Risiko auszuschließen bittet Siku die (weiter unten stehenden) Traktoren nicht mehr zu benutzen und diese direkt an Siku zurück zuschicken es wird der UVP erstattet. Es geht um Ihre Sicherheit, wenn Sie jedoch weiterhin mit Ihren Traktoren fahren möchten dann tun Sie dies auf eigene Gefahr, es gibt von Siku ab dem 20.01.2014 keine Gewährleistung mehr auf diese drei Traktoren:

• Akku (Artikelnr. 6711)
  • John Deere Raupenschlepper (Artikelnr. 6761/6762/6763)
  • John Deere Traktor 8345R (Artikelnr. 6771/6772/6773)
  • Fendt Frontlader (Artikelnr. 6769)

Siku attached a list of RRP(UVP in german) prices for the affected items which doesn't seem to be on their official site, so I have attached it to this post in case someone might find it useful :)

siku_recall_price.pdf

Archived