4 cylinder Turbo vs 6 Cylinder

SPN

The age old question - 4 cylinder Turbo vs 6 Cylinder.

My carpet farming operation, Mill Farm Organics, is looking to retire two Ford 7810s this year. They have been a fantastic workhorse over the years. They replaced two 7610s in 1989, which had replaced two 6600s in 1982, which had replaced two 6Y 5000s in 1978, which had replaced two 6X 5000s in 1974, which had in turn replaced a Massey 65 and Massey 165 as the general purpose carting tractors on the farm over the decades.

The two options under consideration are the 4 cylinder T6.160, the spiritual successor to the 7610, or the 6 cylinder T6.155, the spiritual successor to the 7810.

The tractors will primarily be used to power two feeder wagons at the farms two beef units in the winter, to power the two destoners during the potato planting season, to provide backup to the silage contracting outfit whenever extra trailers are needed (they will be pulling two Kane Halfpipes), hauling potatoes away from the potato harvester, and clearing bales of straw behind the balers. They will also be backup to the two T6090s and T7.210 carting grain during harvest.

The short wheelbase T6.160 Golden Jubilee with AutoCommand gearbox seems like a great deal, but would a more basic 6 cylinder be a better bet in the long term.

What would you advise?

One of each?

The bigger 6cyl would be more at home in the field and on the carting duties etc. when needed but would probably be a bit oversized in the winter jobs.

The 4 cyl would suit the yard jobs and perfect for the winter time while still being able to haul a trailer if needed. 

At least if you had one of each you could see what jobs need done and send the most appropriate tractor at the time  ;)

a six pot is always a bit more stable due to the longer wheelbase,fours are a bit bouncy,lucky you can order one of each

If it was my choice I'd go for both but order up a t6.160 bluepower instead of the golden jubilee

Thanks for all the comments guys.

My thinking now is to get a T6.160 Blue Power and a T6.160 Golden Jubilee.

The farms have a T8.300 and a T7070 for the heavy work, and a T7.210, two T6090s and a Fendt 415 for the mainstream work (tillage, carting, baling, etc.)

The two replacements for the 7810s have to be chunky enough to step up if they are needed, but for the most part their work is as listed in the OP.

One of the biggest factors is the speed range. We need a very slow gear for the diet feeders, but we want 50k for road work (the main weakness of the 7810s) to future proof the tractors.

The idea of an old fashioned 6 pot with a low-tech gearbox appeals, but we can't get 50k and a creeper gear in the low tech box. Autocommand gives the full range of speeds.

Reliability and longevity are bigger factors than capital cost, because these tractors will be with us for at least 10 years. The 7810s lasted 25 years and are worth almost as much today as they cost new.

Decisions, decisions.

Always loved  the sound  of a turbo  powered tractor  , when i 1st start driving tractors in the 70s  only a few  farms had them & we was in awe   ha ha! we like many in are area  din t !!!!! due to the cost id thing

T6.155s with Claasic gearboxes would be a nice purchase ! I know you want 50k but as the bulk of their work will be yard work a 50k box wont matter, hard to beat two gear sticks going straight to the gear box as regards reliability !

I totally agree John and Ol. The experience with the 7810s (and 110-90s) really supports that view.

The decison to go with a 50k box is to future proof the purchase (aka, the younger generation won't wear the idea of a 40k box on tractors that will be doing lots of roadwork).

The final decision was the two special T6.160s on skinny wheels for the role described in the OP.

However, because the T6.160s are not really up to the job of standing in for a T6090/T7.210 when required, a previous plan to replace the old Ford 6640 on the organic pig unit with a new T6.140 with front loader has been modified. We have a T6020 with front loader on an outlying farm, where it is under utilised, so this will be swapped over to the pig unit. This T6020 will then be replaced with a new 50k T6.175 ElectroCommand on the outlying unit. The T6.175 will be a good fit in the mid-range lineup and will be well able to take on 4m tillage equipment and 16 tonne trailers.

Archived