round balers

Paul Palmer

Well Paul.. McHale Fusions are all the go at the moment in my area..Very little contractors using a separate baler & wrapper now it seems..They have all updated to Fusions...one less tractor & driver needed ..

Well we run 2 McHale Fusions a F2 and F3 at work the boss tells me that he's saving fuel, tractors and paying another man to drive a wrapper he wouldn't go back to the old way he can bale and wrap a lot more that 2 balers and wrappers going.

Well we run 2 McHale Fusions a F2 and F3 at work the boss tells me that he's saving fuel, tractors and paying another man to drive a wrapper he wouldn't go back to the old way he can bale and wrap a lot more that 2 balers and wrappers going.

thanks Rob,looks like a wiking claas 455 for the layout then,cheers

If I remember correctly I read that McHale dealers will receive two models per dealer sometime in summer and the model will be readily available closer too the new year. How correct that is I dont know but the person who said it seemed pretty certain.

Depends on how much you bale as well. Round me quite a lot of farms have their own round baler for straw (many mixed farms) so bale there own silage without owning a wrapper and just get a contractor in to wrap. Another option is a round baler then have a stationary wrapper in the yard, much faster than wrapping in the field as you can load trailers with a spike rather than a squeezer and there is less chance of damaging the wrap as you only handle wrapped bales once. However both these ways do need a bit more labour than a combi baler

If I remember correctly I read that McHale dealers will receive two models per dealer sometime in summer and the model will be readily available closer too the new year. How correct that is I dont know but the person who said it seemed pretty certain.

Leave it with me until the weekend and I'll see if i can give an update-only thing is if he tells me in confidence,I won't be able to repeat it but those of you with contacts will understand that.

Depends on how much you bale as well. Round me quite a lot of farms have their own round baler for straw (many mixed farms) so bale there own silage without owning a wrapper and just get a contractor in to wrap. Another option is a round baler then have a stationary wrapper in the yard, much faster than wrapping in the field as you can load trailers with a spike rather than a squeezer and there is less chance of damaging the wrap as you only handle wrapped bales once. However both these ways do need a bit more labour than a combi baler

thanks for the reply Pat

As Pat says, a mixed farm is mainly going down the bale in field and wrap in yard route. We have a jd 990 round baler, we cart on 40 foot artic trailers. These are pulled by our jd6125 r with a loader and spike. We make 4 foot bales for silage, and this means I can get 23 bales on a trailer. We pick the bales up in pairs and when one trailer is at the yard we unhook and take the empty one back to the field. We have one man on the jcb in the yard wrapping with a remote control mchale wrapper and stacking the bales. Yesterday 3 of us baled, carted , wrapped and stacked 407 bales. As Justin has said, the all in one machines are for the contractors really, but when you have to move them on and off a trailer, the risk of a tear in the plastic is very real.

Yeah your right..Chris.. The tear in the plastic is a big issue.. Even tough the Fusion & other combi balers are a great advance saving time & money..you still get the odd farmer that would rather wrap the bale in the yard.. I know my own uncle would much rather it..That is the way he done the bales years ago when he had his own outfit of baling gear.. Now he has a contractor doing it with a Fusion.. And he is too cautious when drawing them in...If you rip the plastic..then god help you.. ;D   The other thing about a Fusion is that contractors will not want to use them on straw for fear of them catching fire ..because they aint cheap.  One contractor near me has an old  Welger RP200 for the straw & wont risk his Fusion..

I remember years ago having to use bags on the round bale silage , many farmers were tight and reused the same bags for years  , awful job if you had a badly baled bale. they also saw wrap as a cost each year compared to reusing old bags . its gone from a 3 man job to a single operator , so there must be some sort of saving there

Archived