Claas Dominator 85 vs International Axial-Flow 1460 (newbie vs old hand)

I really like this section of the forum but sadly not very often a new thread is put up here. Since I had a little time on my hands I've decided to review two recent scale model combine harvester classics. We have long been awaiting both models and they have both turned out to be real minters. USK Farm Models is an old hand, especially under it's previous Norev name. Replicagri is well known but this is their first combine. And what a job they have done! That's why I subtitled this newbie vs old hand. How do they two compare. All credits for the photographs go to my wife! She did an excellent job.

We have long been awaiting the two models in question. Especially the Axial-Flow. There have been plenty of detailed Claas combines in the past, but the Dominator 85 must be the most famous of them all. Equally the A-F 1460 has a long history and there was nothing available until now. The Dominator 85 was launched in 1974, as a follow up for the Dominator 80. This all new machine was actually developed by Bautz. A German brand which Claas took over. It certainly did them well! It has a 120 HP Perkins engine and comes with headers of 390, 450 or 510 cm wide. The combine has five straw walkers.

The Axial-Flow 1460 was a revolutionary machine in it's days and it was the first model brought over from the US to Europe. After initial demo's and purchases they were produced in a slightly modified version for Europe in IH's plant in France. This model is a French one. You can spot the difference because the cab air filter is on the left hand side (standing in front) compared to right, where you get in. The IH has an IH (of course) 135 HP engine. For threshing it has a single threshing drum followed by the unique single rotor. The concept is still very much alive as you'll know. Header widths of 370, 450 and 705 cm were offered. The 450 (15 ft) version being most popular. With the Dominator 85 they were mostly seen with the 13 ft version I reckon.

IMG_7016.jpg

First impression (8,5) First impressions of both machines are excellent. The Claas has a slightly more plasticy look to it than the IH. At least that is my opinion. Prices will vary of course but I G&M Farm Models is offering the Claas for £93,00 (dealer box) and the IH for £70. The Euro price for the IH seems to be around the €89 mark. Claas advertise the Dominator for € 89,90. There is also a version without the cab, which is slightly cheaper. Apart from that they are identical. I think most will agree the one with cab looks best!

IMG_7013.jpg

Unpacking (9) I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I unpacked both models. The A-F comes in a surprisingly small box which does have a nice design. It's packed in Styrofoam and once you sliced through the tape you can take the model out. No wires or screws to mess about with! The Claas comes in a much chunkier box that again shows the real deal. Not the best of photo's but al right. The model is packed in two plastic halves that come apart easily. No wires again! This is how models should be packed.

IMG_6888.jpg

Quality and finish (9) I will start with the Axial-Flow. The quality and finish are near perfect. A well deserved figure 9 from me personally. Replicagri are well known for building excellent models and this combine raises the bar even higher. The header bottom is all metal, as well as the dividers. The top is plastic. The combine has a sturdy feeling to it and I would say it's ever so slightly heavier than it's green counterpart. I had no problems with my model. It comes with a realistic clevis on the rear axle that includes a tiny pin. However, no header trailer!

IMG_6974.jpg

Quality and finish (8,5) The first thing you notice when judging the Claas that it has a header trailer, like all previous USK/Norev models. However, the linkage is a rather chunky pin on the back axle. This could have been more detailed. Again no issues with my model whatsoever. I do find the header quite small. The IH's wider one certainly gives a nicer feel I reckon. I believe it is a tat lighter than the IH and feels a little plasticy, especially the header. So 0,5 points deducted.

IMG_6979.jpg

Detail of Realism (Claas 9 IH 8 ) The Claas certainly has the edge when it comes to details. On the right hand side the big panel opens to reveal lots of details. On the left hand side a small panel opens. The engine cover does as well, which shows some nice features. However, these come with a price. The model costs more but you're left with some hinges that are quite visible. On the IH only the grain tank lid opens (on the IH two open but not much is to be seen). The IH therefore looks more realistic if you like. The header on the Claas is better but only slightly. The reel raises on both. The IH's reel tines can be positioned right, Claas not. With the Claas the dividers are removable. Fantastic! The rear axle of the IH does not only look better but also has a wider turning angle. That of the Dominator is piss poor and to big.

IMG_7016.jpg

Conclusion Both models are build to a very high standard. The Claas is a little bit dearer but DOES have more to offer. More detail, realism, header trailer. But the IH just look right. Nice header, big tyres, well detailed and no large hinges to be seen. They both have their drawbacks but they are hard to find! They are both pricey but certainly worth the money. My personal favourite is the IH, but only by a tiny margin. Mainly because I have plenty of Claas combines and no Axial-Flows. The final verdict for the Claas Dominator 85 comes to 8,7. For the International Axial-Flow 1460 it is 8,6.

Hopefully the comparison will be to some use! Maybe some people have money for either one but not the pair. May this help you a little what to go for. They are both worth every penny and most of the stuff written here is purely my own opinion. Questions or anything else, please do put them down here!

IMG_6988.jpg

I have also done a few measurements to see if the scale is actually right. My rough measurement says a little over 22cm for the Claas. This translates to 704 cm in real. Claas claim 960 cm although this might include the header. Anyway, it's a long way off for some reason!

IMG_6951.jpg

The Axial-Flow measures a little over 20 cm. In real life 640 cm. IH say 874 cm so again, quite a difference?

IMG_6958.jpg

Header width of the IH measures 15,5 cm translates to 496 cm. That would be 16,5 ft. However, there isn't a 16 ft header? Maybe there was.

IMG_6998.jpg

The header of the Claas comes down to 12cm exactly which makes 384 cm or 12,8 ft. This does very nearly matches up to the real size.

Don't let yourself be put off by my scale measurements. Maybe I got them wrong! The models don't look out of scale but I must say the IH's unloading auger does look rather short and doesn't reach a great hight. The Claas is a lot better.

Yes Chris I'm with you there! I have a long wish list but on top is an MF 760, followed by a 525 and then a Lely Victory or Clayson. M135 or M140. Still so many to be done!

Great reviews neils, i think your right with the header in the length measurements , all the brouchures i have inc these two ,do say in the small prints that it includes the header, ,only the width for the combine doesnt, pretty sure it gives the headers dimensions seperate so i suspect it could be worked out from it easy enough

Brilliant reviews Niels, not to mention the photography, it looks amazing

Thank you Pat! Though, all credits for the photography go to my wife. Photographing tractors and combines in 1/1 is not such a problem but a scale model is something different. She has better lenses for it to start with.

Great reviews neils, i think your right with the header in the length measurements , all the brouchures i have inc these two ,do say in the small prints that it includes the header, ,only the width for the combine doesnt, pretty sure it gives the headers dimensions seperate so i suspect it could be worked out from it easy enough

Thank you Sean. So do you think the size is correct of the models or some flaws there? It doesn't appear to be vastly out of scale I would think.

Really enjoyed the review.

Thank you Pete! This is a great section of the forum and should be used more.

When I have a chance and something interesting to show I will try and do some more reviews if people enjoy them.

I really enjoyed this thread..something like this would be a great embelishment in the model farmer magazine..its great to get a comparrison. Thanks iv found helpfull

I really enjoyed this thread..something like this would be a great embelishment in the model farmer magazine..its great to get a comparrison. Thanks iv found helpfull

Thank you for your kind words Gary. Andy knows where he can find me. ;)

Archived