Is this wheel melt?

mb86

I noticed this tonight on my sq 1884, one front wheel appears to have wheel melt and both rears have an orange fluid  sitting at the bottom of the centres, none of my other models have this and there are other uh models in the same cabinet. If it is what can I do about it?

image.jpg

It very much looks like wheel melt, if the plastic is soft and a bit sticky that's what it is, it's a chemical reaction between the tyres and the wheels, unfortunately as far as I know there's nothing you can do to stop it you'll just have to find new wheel centres if you can or get some cast from resin.

just had a good look at my 3 and there's no sign of anything like this on any of them ,they are all still boxed mind?? I wonder has it been in a cabinet  that's caught a bit of sun maybe??? had a look at a few other uh ones while in the loft and no others seem to be showing it either

It is the only one that has been affected. It is in a cabinet and never in direct sunlight, think I'll take the tyres off and box it back up for now and hope none of the other models are affected. This has put me right off uh. 

Once this reaction has started you won't stop it even if you remove the tyres, the wheels will just continue to soften and melt, perhaps you should email UH with pictures to tell them what's happening, they might offer you a replacement.

Not come across any wheel melt problems on my UH's before Martin but have found traces of that orange oily type liquid on a few of the 16th Fords and a couple of the 16th Majors, on those it appeared to be behind the centre cap in the wheel as a lube on the axle retaining washer and screw, and around the drop arm on the majors steering box.... on the wheels that have had mods done to them and needed a repaint it's been a pain to paint them without giving them a wash in soapy water first.... but seeing as the rear axle on your county is a straight bar type I wonder if it was accidentally lubed on assembly??

Bugger. These models are less than a year old aren't they? Surely they should be expected to last longer than that! Has any one else's done this or have I got a bad one?

Hi there mb86

your not the only on ,am shocked to after reading the forum I went and checked model which is still I its box,I to have yellow oil sitting in the rims funny thing is I only have it on one side ,sitting in the seat left hand side front and rear wheels both buggerd ,paid good money for this as well.........Not Impressed !!!!!!

Martyn- that is very kind thank you, I will get in touch. 

Paul- it could be, maybe softened and run when warm but i can't see how it could have come from the axle behind the wheel to the outside.

CX 90- in mine only one front rim has deteriorated and both rears have the fluid on them.

Martyn- that is very kind thank you, I will get in touch. 

Paul- it could be, maybe softened and run when warm but i can't see how it could have come from the axle behind the wheel to the outside.

CX 90- in mine only one front rim has deteriorated and both rears have the fluid on them.

the way I see it is ...it's a nice model ruined ,

Checked both my UH 1474 & 1884  Martin & both seem fine  .. They have been stored in their boxes for the last 9 months in a disused wardrobe in our spare room.. So no light has hit them .. But it may be early days yet !! Nothing to say it will not happen to mine down the line.. :-

• 4 weeks later...

Seems Martin on closer inspection ... the wheel melt has hit mine now also.. I know I had a quick look at it a few weeks back.. But It never dawned on me to take it out of its box & check the wheels on the other side as I was going threw a few models this morning & sure as hell  here it is. Its also showing signs of starting on the other wheel also.  But just the rears..So yours aint the only one after all. 

IMG_3149_zpsavnthz3b.jpg

I think the orange fluid might be axle lube which is on the rear wheels, the fronts on mine are actually disintegrating, which is the wheel melt. This seems to be only affecting the one model in my collection, I hope it stays that way!

I think the orange fluid might be axle lube which is on the rear wheels, the fronts on mine are actually disintegrating, which is the wheel melt. This seems to be only affecting the one model in my collection, I hope it stays that way!

UH should be offering replacements if anything Martin.. They produced a faulty product, so they should fix it.. plus it could well happen to the Limited Edition Yellow ,White & Gold   ones yet & with the price of them ..they could be hell to pay if it does..:-

Those wheels are the same ones fitted to the county 1474 was it??? Is anyone experiencing the same with them ?? Also does it come back if you wipe it off ??? If it's just an axel grease the. It shouldnt come back , need to get to something in the loft this week so I will check mine again , got 3 so hopefully. One affected like last time

I think they should as well, but I also think unfortunately they won't give a toss. Even at the price these 1884's were it isn't good. 

Your probably right Martin. I sent UH an email about this issue since.. Just have to wait & see will they reply..:-

Those wheels are the same ones fitted to the county 1474 was it??? Is anyone experiencing the same with them ?? Also does it come back if you wipe it off ??? If it's just an axel grease the. It shouldnt come back , need to get to something in the loft this week so I will check mine again , got 3 so hopefully. One affected like last time

The 1474's have been out for longer so if they were going to go they might have done it by now. I have one and it is ok so far. 

They are the same type of  wheels Sean . But the 1474 does not seem to be suffering from the same problem.. It could be a separate production run of the rims.. Seems the 1884 batch are the bad eggs here. .

Archived