Spalding model tractor and construction show October 2016

convo

10 hours ago, convo said:

yes you are all right this show is going down hill fast there were not manny people there at all I bet There were no more than 400 people , lots of empty space more effort needed to get people there or younger generation in , the only kids there are my friends 6 kids by two families and my lad ,,, sorry I had one customer of mine who brought his 7 year old !!!!! 

it was good to catch up with you guys and here is a picture of what the others that did not make it missed out on,,

roll on toytrac in 3 weeks time 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Is this  lorry for sale and if so how much . What scale is it . Looks like you had good few models out . 

Screenshot_20161004-094506.png

The truck is out my own collection and I have a man for it , Siku Scania 1/32 scale ,,,our stall is always like this , we are coming to Alastar bells show Ireland in the spring next year so you have a chance to come and see me ,,,the 6 spinning  racks on the  right are full of decals , wheels and bits and bobs to replace or modify your own models 

18 minutes ago, convo said:

The truck is out my own collection and I have a man for it , Siku Scania 1/32 scale ,,,our stall is always like this , we are coming to Alastar bells show Ireland in the spring next year so you have a chance to come and see me ,,,the 6 spinning  racks on the  right are full of decals , wheels and bits and bobs to replace or modify your own models 

That grand well if the man does not take it i will . Think i got a few bits off you 2 years ago when i was there first. 

Where is that Alastar bells show on and when ? Do you go to the moira model show ? 

I have said it before and I will say it again, the dates for this show in the autumn and Spring are all wrong in my opinion. A lot of people that are into this hobby actually work in agriculture and are usually busy when the shows are on.  I was desperate to go to Spalding last weekend but we are flat out on the farm, as we were last spring. The only time it will work is if it's chucking it down with rain. I know 6 people locally that would have gone to the show but were sat on tractors. Lots of factors contribute to low attendance as we all know, lack of new stuff out,cash flow, holidays etc,etc.. Maybe it needs to be once a year. There is also some other shows up country that are getting good reviews and are growing, and this keeps people from those areas coming to Spalding.

I see you point but one big fat fact ,, no younger generation coming through this show were ALL the others are seeing growth ,,, since Mandy got involved with toytrac you see the young ones getting involved and this is just simple advertising through the likes of free Facebook ,, yes free ,,

Warwick in February is getting 1000 plus with massive advertising through out the year ,,, Aberdeen down slightly on numbers for the first time this year Brian and andy had other things going on this year but 1000 people last year attended and they have more people on board pushing the show for next year .

the Penrith show we now run 500 last year ,, but 2 of the major roads were blocked because of flooding and it was bouncing down all day with floods all over , but they were 500 people who made the effort to come were spending money ,,we are almost fully booked for this year all ready . We have lots of new traders this year and new younger faces with displays. 

its all about putting in effort , why has Spalding not even got Facebook ? It's free ,

some of my customers are farmers ,, ok , working I get that ,,, but most of my customers are from farming background or no connection what so ever to farming so time of year has no effect ,

i do not compete selling at these shows as I do totally different stuff , but I do feel for all those selling the same because low attendance really effects them most ,if the traders are supporting the shows then the effort needs to be put in to support the traders ,what would be a good exercise for me to do is discount all my models on eBay / Facebook with what it costs me to go to Spalding and spend the weekend there and see if it is even worth me going with all the hassle of set up , driving and two days off work 

2 hours ago, chris.watson said:

I have said it before and I will say it again, the dates for this show in the autumn and Spring are all wrong in my opinion. A lot of people that are into this hobby actually work in agriculture and are usually busy when the shows are on.  I was desperate to go to Spalding last weekend but we are flat out on the farm, as we were last spring. The only time it will work is if it's chucking it down with rain. I know 6 people locally that would have gone to the show but were sat on tractors. Lots of factors contribute to low attendance as we all know, lack of new stuff out,cash flow, holidays etc,etc.. Maybe it needs to be once a year. There is also some other shows up country that are getting good reviews and are growing, and this keeps people from those areas coming to Spalding.

I think the October one is at the wrong time as lot of people are drilling/lifting sugar beet and spuds allow I went on sunday I should have been drilling April not to bad for me as its only just spraying to do    

Noticeably different, empty tables, busiest crowd time didn't last long, people packing up at 2.30 - 3pm. 

Having said that we had a great time, we love the show and the night before catching up with friends in the pub. Also lucky enough to get some cracking models, so all in all a good day for us.

With reference to improving it I agree with what you guys have said.... and there are so many cheap ways this could be promoted............

1) Move the show to the last Sunday of April and October to hopefully get past Autumn drilling / spuds etc and main spring work.

2) Get a Spalding tractor show FB page marketing & selling the show. It seems the world revolves around FB!

3) Give the show model box a makeover - like Rickerby boxes but advertising the show & date, then launch on e bay 1 month prior to each show, a lot of people will see that! (sure there's someone out there who can do that to boxes without too much expense, cant think who???). Might even be someone with an interest in making the show work willing to do a deal.

4) Vouchers on e bay, a lot of youngsters look on ebay to get good value models, they might not even know about the show. Offer discount vouchers (5% of entry fee??) for pre ordered tickets on e bay, send them a redeemable 'e' voucher they print off for show entry. Wouldn't matter if nobody bought any - you've advertised the show! And if they did but them you have revenue before the doors have even opened.

As is say though we love the show, great weekend out and thank you to everyone who makes such an effort to make it work, we love it!

Firstly a big thanks to all the people that came and also bought models from us, and a big thanks to my helpers mr smith, uncle Mervy and her indoors as Arthur Daley would say! Here's my thoughts for what it's worth spalding tractor show in October seem to be better for me than April now as I think that now a days we have the likes of Tractorworld and model tractor plant and construction show plus others before Spalding tractor show in April and there is only certain a mount of money about to spend so I guess limiting the spend in April were as the October show is the first one of the end of year season so there is money about. I agree 100% with Peter and have talked about this for sometime now that the younger collector is not coming to spalding if you look at the age of the collectors the youngest is in there mid 30's were as for say the L.C.N show in holland there is a lot more younger collectors with an average of 10,000 show visitors in two days!. Making the show later on in April and October could help get more collectors in that are connected with farm work. Make the show more interactive as do the others, like model building competition, diorama layouts, showing your own models / collections like the L.C.N show does with display cases or maybe make the show in to a tractorworld type show with real tractors and related items but a new venue would have to be sort and the extra work would be huge but would bring other collectors in as well as the regulars. 

I am taken back by the fact that the young collector is not out in force at these UK shows . 40 to 50% of displays would be done by collectors aged anywhere between 10 to 20 years if age over here & I would say 60% of the sales at these shows would be purchased by the young collector again.. The Kilkenny model show would probably be the biggest in the Irish Republic and there was a turnout of over 5500 last year at it .  So the hobby is still good and strong over here ..but it's not just farm models that are displayed over here at these shows . It's everything from trucks,cars ,planes etc even tough the farm models & dioramas do make up the bulk of what's to be seen .  

So just a maybe Spalding needs to have more if a variety of models to help it up again & draw the crowds.. 

All good points peter, Martyn and Justin. When it comes to young collectors I think that it is a sign of the times in the farming world. You won't get as many young people collecting tractors as young people arnt in the industry in the numbers that were seen 20 years ago. Take the two parishes where I live on this farm, I have lived around here for 45 years and in that time the number of independent farms employing people has gone from 14 to 6. And that's just two parishes.Contractors farming large areas now farm the bulk of the land around us here. It won't get any better, machines get bigger, farms stop rearing livestock and the jobs arnt there in the numbers that once were. There isn't one worker around here on a farm under 30.  Says it all really.

Archived