Onion lifter

Had go at making my own onion lifter.

Lifter will up root a 6 rows of onions on a 1.3mtr bed and leave them to dry at 1mtr wide so you don't need row crop wheels on your digging tractor.

The rubber flaps and round bars at the back keep any from rolling out of the row.

Model is made from wood,and 1mm wire,it's a bit rough but over all I like it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to grow onions on my carpet farm because I already have a digger to harvest them and trailers/boxs to store and handle the crop because of growing spuds.Onions cost less to grow than carrots.Only thing to watch is onion's need lots of water at the same time as sweet corn and beans.Onions alway's leave you with a clean seed bed to drill wheat into with out much tillage so what you spend on more water would off set what you spend on trying to get a trash covered paddock ready with out burning.

I do go on  :-[:)

Interesting looking piece of kit fp, anymore pictures of it??

Does anyone in the UK grow onions in quantity or are they imported??  :-\

Loads of companies in the Uk grow onions Doc... Quite a few in the Fens... although the Spanish do send many many onions over here during their season (curently finished) - Chillian, Dutch and NZ Onions available in the UK now (UK season also finished (store)) - to give you a guide I buy 25kg UK onions for about ?1.50-?2.50 per sack... Chillian is currently costing me ?9.50 for a 20kjg sack

Also UK Onions are by FAR the best flavour and strength - Big Spanish type onions are watery and horrible  :P

Hey... can I be the FTF Onion correspondant  ???:D

Loads of companies in the Uk grow onions Doc... Quite a few in the Fens... although the Spanish do send many many onions over here during their season (curently finished) - Chillian, Dutch and NZ Onions available in the UK now (UK season also finished (store)) - to give you a guide I buy 25kg UK onions for about ?1.50-?2.50 per sack... Chillian is currently costing me ?9.50 for a 20kjg sack

Also UK Onions are by FAR the best flavour and strength - Big Spanish type onions are watery and horrible  :P

Hey... can I be the FTF Onion correspondant  ???:D

How long will onions keep for??

How long will onions keep for??

There's me asking to be Onion correspondant and I don't really know the answer to that question... I would say about 6-8 months for most white (yellow) onions... early Spanish onions have no skin set on them and won't last very long at all  ;)

Only just found this, was wondering what the machine was in your avatar pic :D :D :D

Excellent work Oli, looks like you have spent some time on it with the detail etc :o :o ;) ;)

Hard to say,I did a 10 mintues here and there for 2 weeks. like all ways I was working to an olly plan aka off the top of my head  :-\

Well it was a good plan, it all came together in the end as usual!

• 2 weeks later...