1/16th Massey Ferguson 135 Cab Version - Dealer Box

volvoman

I seem to recall that when Universal Hobbies introduced this model it was first released to MF Dealers only in limited numbers in a Dealer only  box - does anyone have any idea what the numbers were - I have a vague recollection it may have been 1000 but not honestly sure ?  

Thanks Andy - I still have mine -  very much MIB ! Was curious as one sold on Ebay last week in the 'standard' box for £130. Not sure what the difference would be not that I am thinking of selling it I  was just curious if anyone knew. I was advised by a well known MF collector on here to buy one for its 'investment value' at the time -  which I was going too anyway for childhood memories driving one reasons on my uncles farm in North Yorkshire. Wish I had bought two now !   

12 minutes ago, volvoman said:

Thanks Andy - I still have mine -  very much MIB ! Was curious as one sold on Ebay last week in the 'standard' box for £130. Not sure what the difference would be not that I am thinking of selling it I  was just curious if anyone knew. I was advised by a well known MF collector on here to buy one for its 'investment value' at the time -  which I was going too anyway for childhood memories driving one reasons on my uncles farm in North Yorkshire. Wish I had bought two now !   

Well worth hanging onto as its far better than the non cabbed version.  OEM packaging in my mind does carry a small premium, but its is very hit and miss.  There are more than several models I wish I had bought more than two of!!  Some prices make me scratch my head, both for being high and low....

Andy - could not agree with you more - here’s a bit of an anomaly for you . I have also have an interest in aviation there is a company called Bravo Delta Models who produce mahogany aircraft models in roughly 1:48 scale anything from WW2 to present day each one takes up to 60 hours to make they sell new for between £250 up to just under £400 new . They only make 12-24 of each and sometimes one off commissions . I’ve watched some second hand ones sell on eBay in mint condition sell for under £100 - go figure that one out ?? Whether it’s because they are a large scale I don’t know but when you think the likes of Universal Hobbies regard a limited edition as 500 - 5000 and a few sometimes a few years later they fetch far more than the RRP ( not all granted ) it doesn’t make a lot of sense . Strange world this collectors model world ! 

it always used to be the case that a company like massey would take a limited number stock from the model makers as part of the licensing agreements, i seem to remember in a discussion with a someone at toytrac that it was arround the 500 mark , which used to make doing limited runs a viable option when the likes of uh only do minimum runs of 1500 now. you had already sold 500 so to speak. so it could well have been similar back then, i know its change recently,where they now just take the cash,not any models, hence why limited runs are getting fewer from clubs etc when dealing with uh . siku still do lower numbers i belive . 

Thanks tractorman 810 thinking about it I think you are correct I think it was 500 I know they sold out pretty quickly and if I remember rightly each dealer only had a limited number as I recall. As Andy says whether it adds anything to the value is hit and miss it’s like most things it’s what someone is prepared to pay maybe it’s a touch more for a degree of exclusivity in the eyes of the serious collector . Not that I am selling ! 

Archived