Lancaster County Tractors

Dusty Dan

This is Lancaster County Pennsylvania and surrounding areas which I am very familiar with by having lived there or visited or read about. This goes on for quite a while so if one becomes bored of it, I understand. But there are some interesting tractors and short stories and tid bits here that may be of interest to tractor fans of all ages. In my Franklin County area, Chambersburg, Pa., there are a few steam and tractor shows and tractor pulls each summer. I worked the farms in Lancaster County as a boy. 

https://www.lancasterfarminglocator.com/resources/category/classic-tractors/

I suppose there are differences. I never heard of some of your makes of tractors but they are really cool looking. For instance, I never had heard of the County tractors. To tell you something, the last time I drove a farm tractor, it was a Farmall and that was back in the mid 1980’s when I hooked up a flat bed wagon and pulled it along with a class of elementary school children out through an old apple orchard to a pumpkin patch. The farmer that I knew asked me to help him out and take the kids out to the pumpkin patch so each could pick out a pumpkin to take home. So, we had a great time with them on a beautiful October day. 

3 hours ago, Ferret90 said:

Yes, nice to see some different tractors we don't have over here, especially the ones with the front wheels next to each other, never seen ones like that :) 

They're what's know as row crops Ted, pioneered largely by International Harvester with the Farmall, the idea being that the wheels were spaced to run in between the rows of maize and the like without damaging the crop but making the tractor very manoeuvrable at the ends with a very tight turning circle. Some had a single wheel in the middle but the more popular was two wheels close together, known as the V twin configuration. I've seen old photo's of farmalls like these with front loaders cleaning out stock yards and such.....I bet stability was interesting if you turned a bit quickly with a loaded bucket in the air!

Always liked the old American type tractors especially the row crop trikes and v-twins, never really caught on this side of the pond i suppose the heavier soil over here made them less uesful. Similar to 4wd tractors that became popular over here years before it did in the US.

Archived