Roadless Ploughmaster 78K / 118S

Another couple of builds that I've been meaning to do for a while, a pair of 4 pot and  6 pot ploughmasters. The 78 will be based on the Ford 6600, the 118 on the later 10 series. I've made a start on the cabs, just wondering why some have Windows with round corners and others are angular?

original (2).jpg

IMG_1134%20(Kopie).jpg

1 (2).jpg

WP_20200126_17_14_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20200126_17_13_25_Pro (2).jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:DCheers Sam! There was only going to be two, then I fancied an equal wheeler as well to go with the Muir Hill and County 1454 ( that i must get back to!)and seeing as I was already half way there with the 118, a 120's also underway

Excellent again John.

Love the 118, real classic in my opinion. The angular windows were fitted to the first ones (from mid 76), known as the J series, the rounded windows where introduced late 78/early 79, and were known as the K series. 

The S series that you are making also had the k series type cab. (rounded windows) 

I am half/two thirds of the way through making a k series 118, and I have all the dimensions from the real machine, so if you need any measurements just let me know. 

Really looking forward to watching this progress. 

Thank you John, I did wonder if that was the reason for the windows but I thought I must be wrong as to me the angular windows actually make the cab look more modern than the later rounded ones. I knew someone on here would keep me right, I've a little idea about the red machines but these blues are not my area of expertise!

How did you find making the cab? On first glance it appears a relatively simple build, but the execution is proving anything but, it might not be a curvy affair but there's certainly an abundance of angles to get right! Thanks for your offer, I might be taking you up on that yet!

Yes totally agree John, thought the cab would be reasonably straightforward, but once measured up, and put to paper - it is lots of different angles..... It took me three attempts just to get the doors correct, with the angle of the bend :huh:

Also tried to do the mudguard/fenders as one piece, pretty much the way they are folded on the real machine, but a combination of the plasticard cracking (just as you think you've got the right angle... Doh) and the fact that my origami skills are not up to the job!!, means it will have to be a different approach. 

7 hours ago, alf aphid said:

That mudguard design  made me break out into a cold sweat ! Brilliant work john!

Thanks Alastair, me too!:D I see this cab as a bit of a trial run, hopefully the ones that follow will have a bit better fit and finish once I've got something to copy from!

7 hours ago, JEP said:

Coming along very nicely John, will be another great addition to your fantastic range of scratch built tractors. 

Thank you John, I'm hoping they should fit in nicely with the rest of my models from around that era

Made a start on the skid for the 118, this I'm doing in halves as I intend to cast it so that it can be used in future builds. A question to the Ford men, am I right in thinking that the Ford 2715E engine  was the same as the one used in the Muir Hill 121? 

WP_20200214_17_00_07_Pro.jpg

Looking good and making progress john. I think you are right about the engine, back to a time when you could whip an 4 pot engine out and shoe horn a big 6 pot in with only some extra steel chassis rails and a bit of welding to lengthen the bonnet. 

Thanks John, I thought that was the case, but I'm no expert on these blue things! That makes the castings doubly useful as with the addition of the drop box I can do another Muir Hill or two with a bit less work!

Your right Martin, not wanting to sound old (again!) but those were the days!

9 hours ago, Ben Gardebroek said:

This looks great John. Very nice to see how you make the the engine and other parts. 

Thanks Ben, as I'm hoping to cast the engine I'm making it in halves rather than the usual one piece like the skid for the 78.....i just wish I could cast the cabs as well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived