Best way of model casting

Fang

Question

I have got to the stage with my County drawings to start making some parts in 1/32 scale.  What is the best way to split the model to cast in resin?  A lot seem to have the engine/gearbox/rear axle as one casting split lengthways to give 2 halves. Scaledown looks like it is also split lengthways, but also engine/gearbox, rear axle centre, rear axle housings, all separate (but white metal casting), DBP looks like it is split into engine, gearbox, rear axle, rear axle housings as individual parts

Just wondering if any method is better/worse than the other?   I assume the more parts the less shrinkage/distortion there is, but more components to assemble.

10 answers to this question

The fewer the parts, the fewer the moulds, the faster production is. I usually focus around venting and making sure there is as little chance of airbubbles being trapped ie less detailed side at the top and as few sticky out bits per part as possible. 

Jumping onto this. I've made it a annual thing to ask about for casting info, but I've decided to give it a whirl during the cold autumn months. Problem is I have to rely on ebay since it makes the whole import/VAT thing easier, so it might reduce the possibilities.

I tried searching for Mouldcraft on here, I know I've seen it mentioned once or twice, is that a reliable brand? I know they do starter kits which you can get, but if anyone could help me out with navigating through the jungle of products I'd be grateful!

I'm looking to try both resin casting of parts/chassis and wheels/rubber, so kind of a shortlist of the essentials I would need and advice on brands to look up at ebay would be nice :D

8 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Hopefully this is handy Jan. 

I'd highly recommend any of MBFG's products, you should find that they are all listed on eBay, although I think they have an issue with shipping abroad. 

Thanks, James. 

Did have a look on Ebay but no luck, probably filtered away due to the shipping issue you mentioned. I did however find alternatives which I think should suit my needs so far (images listed below). Would cost me in the range of £150 at least (yes, half of it is shipping, import charges and VAT).
image.png.3f8f9d12e5525f9027d7844f31990394.pngimage.png.67500e17c08d4a33d204b8ca95cc7c5d.pngimage.png.ef5fb6865bcdd4796d81d68c64338e60.pngimage.png.a8793da5f2859ded45bc4f58112dda46.png 

59 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

surely there must be a model company in your home  country that sells this sort of thing jan ?? 

You would think so, but not really. Sure you can get your hands of epoxy, resin and the likes of it but it's a lot more expensive than the quota from Ebay. It's not a very big business it seems, most of what you can find is very small amounts meant for jewelry casting or very expensive bulks for clear casting on furniture, boat repairs, floors etc. 

The cheapest I could find (unbranded) was at least 120 quid for less than 500ml of resin, and that's just the resin. A clear resin as well. The wares off of Ebay totals to less than £90, but it's the shipping that really makes it expensive. 

Archived