Decals

As mentioned a week or so ago I've been messing around with some decals, Made on my PC and printed on my Canon Pixma Ink jet printer, They have all turned out pretty good except the font I used for the address's, Need to look for a better way of doing that, All fairly straight forward except the nearside Claas logo, which needs turning as the official Claas logo has the green on the left and Claas on the right, I use Paintshop Pro as I've been useing that for nearly 20 years, https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/?link=wm

The Combi-Bumper was just a daft idea I had, But in years to come who knows, hard to see in the photo's but there are orange side lights on that, tricky, A lot of haulage firms up here have Tartan banners on their trucks so I thought I would give that a bash, Not bad for a scanned / cropped / resized image of my Anderson Tartan tie?, pity I never got the corners lined up properly, All Chevrons were screen grabs mostly from sellers on E-Bay.

Regards

Joe.

DSCN0014.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0016.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0022.JPG

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0024.JPG

DSCN0025.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0027.JPG

DSCN0028.JPG

DSCN0029.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mb86 said:

Decals look really good Joe, are they waterslide?. Great idea with the tartan strip on the truck. 

Cheers Martin, hard to believe that is a scanned image of my tie,?? And yes waterslide from a seller on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232322269621?hash=item36177c81b5:g:j6QAAOSwB-1YoB6d

Regards

Joe.

Edited by catkom3
  • Like 1

Yes Brian I know, I probably didn't explain it properly but that image was the trickiest to reproduce as you need to take a screen grab of the Claas logo, then spin the stripes through 180 degrees than reattach the red Claas logo onto the other side of the green bit,? something like this.

Regards

Joe.

Claas logo 5.jpg

Claas logo 5.jpg

Edited by catkom3

28 minutes ago, 844john said:

Very nice job of the decals there Joe, thanks for sharing them. I really must have a go!

It probably is a steep learning curve John, But at least these day's help is at hand via Youtube tutorials, If you decide to use Paintshop Pro I can always help out, I've been doing decals for over twenty years now, Started on 1/50th scale which are pretty small, And the reason I use Paintshop is I originally down loaded a two week free trial which actually kept working for free for a lot of years, here is a scratch built model of Komatsu Birtley's six wheeler DAF from 16 years ago,

Regards

Joe

Marubeni DAF.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, catkom3 said:

Yes Brian I know, I probably didn't explain it properly but that image was the trickiest to reproduce as you need to take a screen grab of the Claas logo, then spin the stripes through 180 degrees than reattach the red Claas logo onto the other side of the green bit,? something like this.

Regards

Joe.

Claas logo 5.jpg

Got you Joe, I read your post as you would need to do, rather than you had done 👍

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I've been making my own decals for about some 20 years now. Originally using Adobe Illustrator, but after a computer-crash i've lost my copy.

So i had to look for something else which apparently became the app "InkScape". Probably not to mention i'm using an iMac, since the Mac's simply give better results in these fields of work, according to everybody who works with it.

The problem you might have with these fonts Joe (Catkom3), is that they seem to be like a ".jpeg"-file. The biggest disadvantage of that, is that these files are built-up from small pixels, which results in a worse visibility when you decrease them. Increasing them leads to un-sharpness also. I took a small example from the decals on your Claas combine, and there it shows quite good: The "CLAAS" word is very sharp (yes i know, it's original!), but the "Hay Farms" and the street name (if that's what it is) are un-sharp.

Example.png.2206eded3a93463d2c4e4201c5773654.png

What you need to have is a program which works with so-called "vector-files". Meaning that the files e.g. fonts and pictures always stay sharp, whether you increase or decrease them. It has no effect on the sharpness and visibility.

I can recommend InkScape to you. I'm using this now for over a year, and i'm very happy with the results, although Illustrator remains my favorit! Another large advantage of InkScape is that it's freeware! So you can download it for free!! Here's the link: https://inkscape.org/nl/download/

Another thing which is of direct influence, is how your printer is set for printing: i always use a high resolution for printing on decalsheets, just in order to get the best results. Choosing another version of paper might be also affecting the result. To go short: trial and error is my method and i ALWAYS make some examples on normal white paper before printing on decalsheets.

Good luck!!

Best regards,

Jan

• Thanks 1