Printing White

catkom3

Question

For a long time now I've been thinking how to print White, So today I had a wee play around with my Paintshop Pro and worked out how to print White on a coloured background, Computer graphics are not set up to print letters one on top of the other, So maybe someone more familiar with printing could explain how to straighten that out but this method should work with most colours, Obviously you cannot print White unless you are fortunate enough to own an America Alp printer which does use White ink and costs an arm and a leg, I did try Tippex white fluid in an Ink jet cartridge but being granular the bits clogged up the the openings in the cartridge and failed miserably, here is my effort so far, What do you reckon,

Regards

Joe.

Dewar white on red.jpg

15 answers to this question

I'm a little lost what you're attempting to do here Joe? Surely just changing the font colour to white and ensuring it is ordered to the front layer will achieve the same effect, as you say the printer won't actually print white ink so a clear decal will still show the background colour through in place of white?

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

I'm a little lost what you're attempting to do here Joe? Surely just changing the font colour to white and ensuring it is ordered to the front layer will achieve the same effect, as you say the printer won't actually print white ink so a clear decal will still show the background colour through in place of white?

Ah you see what you just said baffled me, ??I have been Googleing all over trying to find how I could capture a white image then super impose that onto a coloured image. Mainly because my red Kenworth has limited space for decals, The only space I could put one is between the vertical grab rails on the side of the cab, But the text on them would need to be printed vertically also which is difficult 'specially with me having a W in the middle which throws thing's out a bit, Do you know if vertical printing is possible in a graphics app like Paintshop Pro, ??

Regards

Joe.

KW.jpg

Ah I see. I normally use Microsoft Publisher for any decal stuff. In that instance I would draw a square and make it the colour of the background paint I was applying a decal too. I would then make a text box and put that over the square, write whatever text I wanted on it and set the text colour to white. I would then simply print it off on white decal paper. With publisher and word etc you can just rotate the text box to any angle. I imagine its also possible with google docs which is free and works very similar to Microsoft Word.

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

same as i do james, bar i tend to use word, never tried publisher 

I really would recommend Publisher to anyone that has it as part of an MS package, it functions like word without the focus on writing lines of text, its more designed for doing graphics, Birthday cards, stickers etc.

2 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Ah I see. I normally use Microsoft Publisher for any decal stuff. In that instance I would draw a square and make it the colour of the background paint I was applying a decal too. I would then make a text box and put that over the square, write whatever text I wanted on it and set the text colour to white. I would then simply print it off on white decal paper. With publisher and word etc you can just rotate the text box to any angle. I imagine its also possible with google docs which is free and works very similar to Microsoft Word.

I just tried that in Paintshop, Works a treat, never thought white would be an option, But there again I was thinking Word, When I should 'ave been thinking text in graphics,:(

Regards

Joe.

3 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

I really would recommend Publisher to anyone that has it as part of an MS package, it functions like word without the focus on writing lines of text, its more designed for doing graphics, Birthday cards, stickers etc.

does it come in office then? as i have a 365 subscription for the i pad  

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

does it come in office then? as i have a 365 subscription for the i pad  

When I looked this afternoon it was available to buy, But if you have a subscription who knows, But as James say's might not be compatable with IOS,

Regards

Joe.

Hi,

Well, regarding printing White, that indeed is only possible with the unaffordable printer Joe says. So i had to find another possibility.
Since there are two sorts of waterslide-decalsheets, namely Transparent or White-based,  i choose the White-based version for whenever i need someting which has the white color in it. For example: i'm making the building-kit of the Caterpillar D8, bought me years ago a half-built copy secondhand, and there where no decals with it anymore. No problem, i can make them myself!

As mentioned in another topic, also started by Joe, i recommend the programm "InkScape", which i use for something over a year now after my computer crashed and i lost my Illustrator-app. Whenever you need to have white fonts on a colored background, as Joe's example here above, i make the colored background first and then put the needed text in it, making the textcolor white! That way you can easily place the text where you want it.
I'll show you the picture of the Cat-logo i've made in InkScape below:

IMG_5255.JPG.99c9cbe5fa8d62fdce0bdf017939eb39.JPG

As you can see it is printed on White waterdecalsheet, leaving it to dry white after assembling.
Right underneath the logo you'll see a small piece which i've cut out, that's where the type-numbering will be, but this is meant to be having the yellow background.
So that number "D8H" i will print separate on a piece of Transparent decalsheet, and place it afterwards in the niche.
The "old" CAT-logo i've designed using the drawing function, drawing a black square, a white circle and two black stripes. Just place them as you like to get the logo as it needs to be.

Any questions, don't hesitate!

Best regards,

Jan

• Thanks 1