Manor farm contractors yard & harvester barn.

I have decided to make a second improved layout specifically for parking my contractors tractors & tanker rigs etc and also a new barn specifically to store my Claas harvesters.

I made the framework last weekend, cut and shaped 18mm MDF in three managable sections during last week. Sprayed two sections with Rustoleum (pebble) for the stone effect and left half the middle section to be sprayed grey where the 600 x 500mm barn will be built. The right side section will be sprayed grass green initially but developed as rough ground for parking trailers etc.

I have cut and glued 4 I beam trusses to be deployed at 200mm intervals.  These will be getting sprayed once the glue has stiffened overnight and then the build can continue.

P1010515.JPG

• Like 3

It's coming along. I wanted to paint the trusses dark green but I had run out of paint, then I noticed a barely used can of old Ford blue which has sat around for 5 years so used that instead.  More timbers required then side panels can go on next.

P1010555.JPG

• Like 7

Corner pieces added , Juweela roof tiles fitted, guttering painted trimmed and fitted on the front (can't be bothered to do the rear)

I have two sizes of shutter doors, one for open and one for closed.  I am plagerizing Alex at Oakley's build as way of guidance, so thanks to him for trail blazing.

I will leave the roof unfinished as has Alex as it leaves access to move models and also lets the light shine in.

Still have perimeter fence too figure out and right side scrubland trailer park to finish.

P1010627.thumb.JPG.ee2a5f4fd52100d9ee020f6b2ed5a4cc.JPG

• Like 6

With the contractors yard now finished we can start moving kit in and free up space around the A D Plant as planned.  Our main contractor Bill Legge has quickly moved in all our tankers which are now ready to go spreading liquid digestate as soon as conditions allow.  Which is not a bad thing as he is still waiting for one of his new tractors to arrive.  As a brief recap Bill knew he would have to change two machines this spring as the 3 year warranties were due to expire on his MF 8740S and his original 8S.265. Although the 8740 had been a good reliable machine Bill found that the lighter 8S could do most of the same jobs and more economically, which persuaded him to look at tractors in the 250-300hp bracket.  He decided to consider other brands to his usual first choice favourites MF due to repeated annoying electrical issues and numb brakes. Both these problems have been well documented by other 8S users with one online blogger "Four Winds Farm" having their 8S tractor taken away for four months by their dealer to fix all the issues! His newer 8S and 7S bought after assurances the troubles were "sorted" has not proved to be entirely the case, although both newer tractors have been better than the original machine so far.  So during last autumn he looked at a few different brands, Valtra from the same dealer as his MFs, John Deere, Deutz and New Holland.  All performed well but he felt that a brand from a different dealer would be best so Valtra were ruled out, followed by Deutz as the dealer was too far away. That left JD & NH, the Deeres were very good and impressed whilst the new NH T7 PLMs particularly impressed which had not been anticipated.  The new cabs being very comfortable and quiet and spacious too. The fuel economy on the demo tractor DOE's left him for a couple of days was better than the MF which was an added bonus. After recieving quotes he decided to order two New Hollands, a T7.270 which is about the same power as his 8S.265 and a flagship T7.300 machine with 280hp that comes with all bells & whistles and will be driven by Bill's son.  Bill's father used to have an all Ford fleet back in the 70s & 80s until MF won him over with the pioneering 3000 series tractors in the early 90s. Whilst Bill was at the DOE show in February he also bought an ex hire 2020 T7.225 to replace his 11 year old MF7495 which was sold last autumn.

Bill's team will be more flexible across our farm and AD Plant enterprise moving forward into 2024 and with an increasing workload due to more land more customers for digestate. And with the spreading expected to commence this week a new Bednar cultivator has arrived to mix the AD plant fertilizer in to our maize ground in front of the drilling campaign.  The swifterdisc was supplied by DOEs and was attached to the rear of his first new NH tractor the T7.270 when he went to collect it.  His T7.225 was delivered soon after the DOE show and has been busy spreading nitrogen on some of our cereal crops.  His team have also been busy spraying across the estate using both his MFs as conditions dictate.

P1010645.JPG

P1010647.JPG

P1010648.JPG

P1010649.JPG

• Like 3

On 3/13/2024 at 6:32 PM, phil phoenix said:

All done, it has been a labour of love thats for sure.  Its nice and neat and also well lit unlike my previous effort built in a dark dingy back room.

P1010637.JPG

P1010639.JPG

P1010640.JPG

P1010641.JPG

Brave driver having to leave the yard,but looking very good Phil nice big dio

Edited by Paul Palmer

Just imagine there is a river running around the perimeter edge Paul and the two entrances are via bridges😉

To build a really good big one with incoming roads or tracks would just take up so much room and also time to build it. This one took three unplanned weeks off work from start to finish.

27 minutes ago, phil phoenix said:

Just imagine there is a river running around the perimeter edge Paul and the two entrances are via bridges😉

To build a really good big one with incoming roads or tracks would just take up so much room and also time to build it. This one took three unplanned weeks off work from start to finish.

Yes i know Phil😉same with me now Phil, lack of space, but as i hopefully get older i will not miss going up to an attic

Due to the frustrating rains we were forced to come up with things to do during January, one of them was to build a mounted cultivator capable of assisting drainage across the farms which could be pulled by our 200 - 300hp tractors, a six leg subsoiler, two banks of opposing discs and a big packer roller.  The Fendt 728 was the chosen machine as it hasn't done any serious or hard work yet, thats about to change.

Our contractor has had some issues with the tyres on his new NH T7.270 tractor, one tyre kept deflating and on inspection there were found to be some serious problems with three of the four on the tractor. The tyre manufacturer is looking into it, however contractor Bill is insisting on a tyre brand change as the obvious cure, he has not had issues with previous tyres from the maker so negotiations with maker and dealer are underway. His other new T7 is now at the dealers being PDI'd and also sat on the same makers tyres!!  Silly season will commence as soon as April arrives as we can't put off the backlog of work any longer.

P1010671.JPG

P1010674.JPG

• Like 3

Delivery Day!!

Our contractor picked up his new NH Bluepower T7.300 on Thursday from Ernest Doe's and then drove to the old farmyard to collect the Claas combine header, which was later followed by the 770 Lexion itself. Still more room in the shed for another harvester, which we are still negotiating with Claas for.

The new blue tractor will be going on the big Joskin tanker after easter to do some direct injecting into old maize stumbles and ripping them up at the same time.

P1010681.JPG

P1010683.JPG

P1010684.JPG

P1010686.JPG

P1010687.JPG

• Like 6

Fall steam above on the farm presently with the maize drilling in full flow, with our JD 8R 410 pulling the 16 row Vaddy drill. Our Fendt 936 is on cultivation duties along with the 728 & 724. Our remaining tractors are still hauling old maize into the A D Plant and new digestate out to customer fields.

Our contractor has completed his new line up of tractors and has added another ex hire T7 to his fleet as a gopher tractor, this time one of the very popular T7.210 model's, which joined the T7.225 & JCB 542-70 in hauling fertilizer  for the JCB to load onto the 225 and its Amazone spreader.

Bill's son who is driving the new T7.300 blue power has splashed out on a trendy weight block for the tractor which is now hooked up on the big 24000 litre Joskin tanker and weather permitting it will be out this week prepping old maize stubbles for this years new crop.

P1010697.JPG

P1010695.JPG

P1010696.JPG

• Like 8