What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Got to have plan! Look forward to tasting it at a show sometime ;) Or if I up your neck of the woods again, best bud......... Top man...... No1 Yorkshireman........ Master Cider Presser .......

Enough now?!

Anyhoooow ....... For me today, already been to the local MVF mill to pick up 6t of finishing meal. Now its back to spreading hay as I have done for the two previous days. This weather is a nightmare for it. 50ac on the deck and now its a mixture of conventional, round and big square hay and also some big bale haylage. Quality dictating what will become what. Haylage is being raked and baked now by the contractor with his Class 2900 on TM150 and a Welger D4004 on a Fendt 720. Once the rake man has done his bit he'll go back for the 998 and the baler will move into what will be big bale hay. Little baler will get going later in the day and somewhere along the lone the round baler will bale the damper areas and someone has to go and stack a few hundred wheat straw bales on a farm where 60ac of standing straw were bought. Oh and we'll have to get the hay bales in too......

I'll bear you in mind when I'm making the cider then Tris :laugh:

Ahh the joys of trying to make hay in this weather :( At least when we do it we use the big baler so carting is a doddle.

Your tractors are looking well Tim. I assume they are original an have not been resprayed :huh:

The 880 Bill has been sprayed, when I bought it around 12 years ago it was being used as a yard tractor and had a front trip loader on it but it wasn't heavy enough to handle big bales of silage that's why the previous owner wanted to sell it. Condition was not very good, the bonnet had been well battered so I had to source a good replacement. Mechanically it was very good so had to do nothing engine, clutch or gearbox wise. I sold the loader for what I paid for the tractor so spent very little money on the tractor apart from a set of new tyres and more recently a new seat, I kept the original mudguards as they were perfect and retained the roll-bar, although I hate it, so that others can drive it. I know no history about the 880 but you can't have everything. The 780 on the other hand is totally original, original in that mechanically it has never been touched since new from 1968, all the tin work is original, it had a little surface rust on the back end so I had to re-spray the rear wheels, front wheels and the mudguards and seat but the bonnet is as I bought it in 1998 at the farm retirement sale, it was new to this farm so I have the complete history, including the original invoice. I did put a new set of rear tyres and one front tyre on it, new steering joints and seat cushions, gave it a good service and that was it really. The engine as I said is totally original, dynamo, water pump, starter motor and everything else, it's even still on the original clutch, all quite remarkable concidering that it's done 12272 hours to date, yes, that is 12 thousand 272 hours. This tractor is very well known around the area here because of the history of the farm and the family it came from, but that's another lengthy story.

Went to Honiton Hill rally this morning, wish I stayed at home, all the trade stalls but 3 had gone, nothing moving except for tractors with chains, ropes and strops hooked up to everything else on wheels in order to pull them out, it's like a bog in the fields. Should have went there yesterday as it was dry and they did manage some combining and baling straw.

• Like 1

Went to Honiton Hill rally this morning, wish I stayed at home, all the trade stalls but 3 had gone, nothing moving except for tractors with chains, ropes and strops hooked up to everything else on wheels in order to pull them out, it's like a bog in the fields. Should have went there yesterday as it was dry and they did manage some combining and baling straw.

i went yesterday it was wet but not impossible to get about in the combines were going up there and the balers to clear some ground for the ploughs and cutivators

Did you see the D.B. 880 and David Brown baler working? The baler is mine and my nephew has been doing a bit of work on it, I loaded it up on my trailer and took it up to him a month ago after it being stood in one of my sheds for nearly 15 years. He baled 30 bales with it and it never missed a bale until he baled a bit of the wetter straw near the hedge and broke the shearbolt in the flywheel. He was awarded the trophy this afternoon for the best working exhibit in the class, I think it was more the novelty that no-one has ever seen a David Brown baler in that area before.

Preparing a very important presentation which I have to give to my area manager tommorow afternoon at another store. Then I can relax and enjoy the start of 2 and half weeks holiday with a road trip here..................................http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/

I took my camera but there was nothing much left to photograph and the only thing 'working' was the steam rack saw bench, the D.B. baler was sheeted down but I do have lots of pictures of the baler so I will post a few up dreckly.

Here's a picture of the baler in my shed before I took it up to my nephew at Hniton.

20120525_175655.jpg

Here's another with it on the trailer before unloading it up at the shed where my nephew worked on it a bit to get it going again ready for the rally.

20120708_155916.jpg

20120708_155929.jpg

Yes, they did make a device that turnrd the bale 90 degrees to drop it into a bale accumulator/sledge, this device was a curved tubular arm with rails to guide the bale around and it attached on the drawbar and was supported midway from the bale chamber. The baler was nicknamed 'the hill-sider', the sideways on bale chamber and cross-wise ram was ideal for baling on steep fields as the cross action of the ram eliminated the 'push' of the ram on the tractor so there was no ram 'surge'. It is said that David Brown got the idea of this baler from the paper recycling plant where they got rid of all their unwanted packaging, at this plant they had a paper/cardboard baler that ejected the bales out the side. The D.B. baler only has a pickup reel about 3 feet wide but will take a wider swath as the side guides are flared, as you can probably see in one of the pictures. The baler at its widest point, wheel to wheel, is 8 feet 3 inches and from the rear of the string box to the front crop guard on the pickup is 4 feet 6 inches and 9 feet 3 inches to the front of the drawbar clevice. The jack on the drawbar has 2 functions, firstly to raise and lower the drawbar to the height of the tractor drawbar for hitching up, secondly, when it's hitched to the tractor you wind the jack handle to raise and lower the pickup, this is acheived as the drawbar has a horizontal pivot pin on which the whole baler pivots on the wheel stub axles to raise and lower as described without actually moving the front section of the drawbar attached to the tractor. A very clever bit of engineering when you study it. These balers are now quite rare. As you can see, the bale chamber folds up for transport and you use the bale tensioner winding handle and springs to lock it in place for transport, you just have to re-position the link rods and springs each time between transport and working position. Tyre size is 9.00x10

No other baler manufacturer could produce anything similar as David Brown pattented it and when these balers were produced, 1960 to 1962, this concept of this idea would have not have even entered the heads of others. Once again David Brown was ahead of the rest and nothing similar has ever been produced since.