What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

been a rather sad day today as HWS PLANT HIRE, the yards and all machinery has been bought by a much larger uk wide plant hire company, i would like to thank all my customers from the last 4 years for there custom, many of which have became good friends and will continue to keep in contact, the sale has been in the pipeline since 2008 when my father gave it up after 25 years and i took over to see if i could take the company anyfurther, since then i managed to open a further 2 depots, increase the fleet from 15 machines upto 95 machines, but due to the current economical climate the company is no longer able to expand, me, connel and our younger and much more immature brother mark are returning to our trades as bricklayers, and mark as a joiner (no brains required), once again, thankyou for your custom, and good luck in the new year  

Sad to hear this Harry all your hard work gone could you not work with the new company or start out on your own like a one man band type of thing? As you have your customers and the know how

Sad to hear this Harry all your hard work gone could you not work with the new company or start out on your own like a one man band type of thing? As you have your customers and the know how

I've been told if I ever need a job that I've just to ask, thought about starting a much smaller company with my brother but it would be too much hassle, me and my brother are going to be packing our bags and heading down to London in a 3 weeks time bricklaying, the good thing is all the staff that I had have been kept on, might start another plant hire company but that won't be for a long time, 

Can't say who bought it over but can say there going to do wonders to what I left them, it was a difficult decision, but hopefully I've made the right decision to sell up when I did, it was also tough for my father keeping it going for as long as he did, two small plant companies round about me which often hired machines off me have shut up shop and moved on, it was difficult too run due to rising fuel and machinery costs and the fact it was a 24hr operation, I could have sold on half of the machines, and became a smaller company, but that could have ended badly, going to miss touring around in the lorry and working on weird projects, will hopefully be able to spend more time with my family, friends and absolutely brilliant girlfriend, who has helped make the company what it is now, also with the plant hire I couldn't guarantee there would be work coming in and I know that the new company can, 

• Like 1

Building up the gable end of a house today, getting back into swing of things, was surprised to see so many people working there from when I was 16, the usual messing around seeing how many 4" concrete blocks you can carry at once, watching the forklift driver and thinking, I'm better than you, went to pub, then home,

Been out the road helping a mate plucking turkeys. Three of us doing the deed, started at 11.00am stopped 3/4 hour for dinner and stopped 5.30pm. Plucked 42 birds weighing from around 12lbs to 35lbs in weight. Have rather sore fingers now!

Been out the road helping a mate plucking turkeys. Three of us doing the deed, started at 11.00am stopped 3/4 hour for dinner and stopped 5.30pm. Plucked 42 birds weighing from around 12lbs to 35lbs in weight. Have rather sore fingers now!

Oops, I first read that as helped to mate 'plucking' turkeys! Not really sure how one would go about that, especially once they've been plucked!

Started building up to dpc on a new build the day, tommorow I'm being reunited with my loadall and I am going to be dismantling a yachts transport cradle which has been built with massive Steel beams, Stihl saw, fuel, couple of new blades and a few pairs of laces for my boots (burn easily) and ill be good to go, weather permitting

Sounds a bit different, Harry. I take it with all this wet weather, the yacht is now in service!!

I'm just about to depart for the Uni over in Wales with another load of hay, then on to......Doncaster to an auction centre to collect two lorries! Bit of a trip ahead of me.

Enjoying 615km's in the dark, in the constant rain and with typical midlands traffic to boot! Night out near Chesterfield tonight, ten hours wasn't enough to get me up to Doncaster to load :(

Truck stop or layby?

Truck stop or layby?

It were trookstop joost off joonction 29, duck. It were reet neece, I ad steeak piiiiiiiiiie and mash. Ooooooh it were looovely, friendly plaaace, duck. Just ticket, liiiiike.

Or something like that! Nice shop for all things truck, hi viz, confectionery, papers and so on and a very clean eatery with home prepared food. Better than that MSA muck and half the price too.

• Like 1

It were trookstop joost off joonction 29, duck. It were reet neece, I ad steeak piiiiiiiiiie and mash. Ooooooh it were looovely, friendly plaaace, duck. Just ticket, liiiiike.

Or something like that! Nice shop for all things truck, hi viz, confectionery, papers and so on and a very clean eatery with home prepared food. Better than that MSA muck and half the price too.

ayup me duck 'ow ya goin' on? 

junction 29 of the M1? my parents are off 23..