What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

1 hour ago, smithy said:

Don't now about the rain all round me have had 20mm on a few times but I only had about 3mm on two occasions my wheats and barley is coming though as I pushed the land down tight after ploughing to hold what moisture was there in ,I nearly bought a Galucho Toptilth of does 2 years ago at the doe show but somebody bought it 5min in front of me sounds like you are getting on all right with it how many horses do you have on the front and have you doubled up on you tractor wheels    

150 hp on the Toptilth smithy, this power will pull a 4m aswell . 135-140 hp will get along well with a 3.5 m. Overall width is 3.7 on the road. 12k is the optimum speed and it does do a great job. Bit like a power Harrow without the pto.  No duals needed, I am on 20.8 rears, at 20psi. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

150 hp on the Toptilth smithy, this power will pull a 4m aswell . 135-140 hp will get along well with a 3.5 m. Overall width is 3.7 on the road. 12k is the optimum speed and it does do a great job. Bit like a power Harrow without the pto.  No duals needed, I am on 20.8 rears, at 20psi. 

Thanks Chris

• 2 weeks later...

huge step forward today at home,the new staircase is in and fitted first time, no miss meassures thankfully, so we are now pretty much on the downhill to getting rid of the builders, just the old stairs to come out, new floor joists in and floor boards from them, the rest is all my work,and i can not wait

• Like 3

This is part of 7ton of steel that my mates are waiting for as they sent it off to be galvanised in the past couple of weeks and this lot come back to my yard on Friday which I unloaded if the rest come back in the next few days I will have a job of unloading it and transporting to site  

20161029_090324.jpg

20161029_090359.jpg

20161029_090459.jpg

• Like 3

This is my field where we did plant rape this year but as we never had any rain for over 7 weeks only bits here and there started to grow so last weekend we spread beans over the lot and ploughed in then power harrowed down ,it is a 30 acre field which I did 4hrs on the Friday night and over the Saturday/Sunday a further 30hrs then was ill on the Monday morning but we wont go there as it was a bit unpleasant and I cant remember eating half the stuff that come out    

20161022_170625.jpg

20161022_170632.jpg

20161022_170639.jpg

20161023_093454.jpg

20161023_093458.jpg

20161023_093530.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Busy times there Smithy. Hope your back to full strength after your short spell of feeling under the weather :)

Thanks Paul yes was only running on 4cylinders for a few days but up on 6 again now and my turbo is cutting in now and again haha

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

have you had any rains at all then smithy? i take it your like chris as is noe at all in weeks 

Where my main farm is we have had about 2mm on about 2or 3 times since harvest but that just dry up within a hr within about a mile or so all round me farmers have had 20mm or more on a few occasions as off the land I rent which is about a 25min drive away in a tractor has had some rain but not really enough and I don't think there is any forecast for this coming week    

Without the drawbar pulled out, which it isn't this time, I expect she's a few tonne light. The bales were wet and going to cover a maize clamp. Earlier in the season I loaded barley but loaded the trailer differently and she just topped 44t, again with quadrants. Thing is... it's 18t empty because of the plant trailer I tow.

• Like 1

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM, graham said:

good weights then tris ,I see you turn bed bales on the trailer gets a few more on that way may see you up eastwell see he has barns full  tris

There is a chap who comes on for the summer and just drives that one, lucky bugger. She pulls well and it's not often you get passed. The MAN was bought this year as it got offered at a decent price but it it was the trailer which was what was really wanted so I dare say the MAN will leave sometime soon, possibly with the heavy plant trailer from the Scania. We may well be up there if winter trade is good, it's handy for back loads from runs to Sheerness etc. ☺

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:24 PM, chris.watson said:

Chris could you get a picture of the Toptilth sometime if possible no rush , me and a mate of mine been looking at other models today plan on looking at some other ones tomorrow but wont be buying anything till next year we are just seeing what is about at the moment

Been on the apple pomace yesterday and today, again tomorrow and then Saturday and Sunday too. I'll be on it for the next three weekends too, all being well.

It's not strenuous! Basically, i to a 24/7 operation at the cider mill in Shepton. There are two lorries to ferry away the pomace after it is loaded, it goes for animal feed blending and to the AD plant owned by Wyke Farms near Bruton. As soon is one lorry is loaded, which takes about 5 hours, I pull the lorry out from under the elevator and park the second lorry under it. Off I go to deliver it to one of three places no more than 45 minutes away and return and repeat the process. So it's usually just two loads a day although yesterday was just 1 and the second was loaded by 17.30 with my shift ending a 18.00 so I couldn't take it. There are four large rotating presses which empty out every couple of hours, each trailer taking 10 discharges of about 2.5t each. Four of us split the work into 12hr weekdays, 12hr week nights, 12hr weekend days and 12hr weekend nights. 

Empty truck weighing out while another waits to weigh in, my lorry in the foreground being loaded with the last few press discharges.

Tipping at the AD plant.

Back to the second lorry under the conveyor.

20161102_100500.jpg

20161102_100519.jpg

20161102_105339.jpg

20161102_113049.jpg

• Like 4