What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

On the way home yesterday with the 474 I stopped at my mates to also pick up his David Brown/Case as it too has a steering problem (oil-leak under dashboard ) and it also needs its fuel pipes looking at as it keeps sucking in air and stopping ,first thing for both tractors will be a good steam-clean then get both in the barn at least I will have something to do over Christmas

20161209_151402.jpg

20161209_151411.jpg

20161209_151425.jpg

• Like 8

Had four days doing local pallet deliveries and collections in a 6 wheel Scania P320 this week and yesterday some local stock deliveries to local factories in this. It had a wash when I finished with it for the day, mind! Pallet deliveries again next week.

20161209_144127.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, smithy said:

On the way home yesterday with the 474 I stopped at my mates to also pick up his David Brown/Case as it too has a steering problem (oil-leak under dashboard ) and it also needs its fuel pipes looking at as it keeps sucking in air and stopping ,first thing for both tractors will be a good steam-clean then get both in the barn at least I will have something to do over Christmas

20161209_151402.jpg

20161209_151411.jpg

20161209_151425.jpg

Nice load Smithy 8) a real collectors set of your Case up front, a David Brown Case and a Proper International....  That David Brown looks familiar, is it the same one that your man uses in his firewood business??  On certain farms in certain areas tractors like these were classed as "Big"  compared to a farmers trusty 135  or Dexta and you now look at modern machines.... the front tyres on "Big" tractors now are on par with the rears on these classics apart from being a tad wider.... makes you wonder how big "Big " will be in another 30 years........Though i know of a member who's a good mate on here that would love Santa to turn up with that 474 for him on Christmas morning ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Nice load Smithy 8) a real collectors set of your Case up front, a David Brown Case and a Proper International....  That David Brown looks familiar, is it the same one that your man uses in his firewood business??  On certain farms in certain areas tractors like these were classed as "Big"  compared to a farmers trusty 135  or Dexta and you now look at modern machines.... the front tyres on "Big" tractors now are on par with the rears on these classics apart from being a tad wider.... makes you wonder how big "Big " will be in another 30 years........Though i know of a member who's a good mate on here that would love Santa to turn up with that 474 for him on Christmas morning ;)

Yes the David Brown is the one from my mates wood yard its developed a oil leak in cab which is to do with the steering wheel having to top it up every day so he asked if I could find the time to see if I can fix it . Yes tires are a lot bigger today on the front of modern tractors then the rears of  these classics but that is only as the tractors are 4 times heavier than the golden oldies ,was at a meeting a few weeks back and a Fendt spokesperson said that as and when driverless tractors are accepted they could see them getting smaller again but more off them in same field to keep up with the workload all on GPS the video he showed us looked like Ants all moving about so it could be the future ,and as for Santa well I better go and lock my 474 up don't wont that disappearing down somebody else's chimney haha Thanks Paul       

• Like 2

well after 1 x 13 hr day and todays 10 hr effort i now have all the base units in place,plumbing ready ,and all doors on , bar two that they didnt deliver  >:( , done ,so am bar 1 end pannel tommorrow eve all done ready for friday and the chippy in to do the worktops for me. had to be done as i have been asked to work Wednesday on ot due to loads of people off sick . didnt want to but was easier to say yes than have them force me to work,which they csn with 24 hrs notice as part of my contract . 

9 minutes ago, simong said:

IMG_1236.JPGIMG_1237.JPGIMG_1238.JPGIMG_1240.JPGIMG_1241.JPGIMG_1243.JPGIMG_1243.JPGIMG_1247.JPGNot today but yesterday had the pleasure of driving this John Deere 4255 on the Suffolk young farmers Christmas road run. Was a very enjoyable and well organised day.

IMG_1242.JPG

I passed 4or5 john Deere's on the A14 about 9ish sunday morning I think there was a claas  up front and a massey bringing up the rear just past Tothill garage  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smithy said:

I passed 4or5 john Deere's on the A14 about 9ish sunday morning I think there was a claas  up front and a massey bringing up the rear just past Tothill garage  

There was about 50 tractors all told, about 15 classic from 60's to 90's the rest were modern mostly JD R-Series with a few MF and 1 Claas. Met at Debach airfield for 10am, Went out though easton to Fram midway stop at Saxted green. Then back Framsden, Crowfield , Otley to Debach.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, simong said:

There was about 50 tractors all told, about 15 classic from 60's to 90's the rest were modern mostly JD R-Series with a few MF and 1 Claas. Met at Debach airfield for 10am, Went out though easton to Fram midway stop at Saxted green. Then back Framsden, Crowfield , Otley to Debach.

Well done sounds like a good day out weather was good too 

• Like 1

my only days annual leave over the xmas weeks today, sore subject >:( , but fallen ok as its work top fitters today,followed by the new furniture and big fridge freezer arriving . only up side to 1 days leave is i am covering the boss for the two weeks, so plenty of working from home and errands to do using the van while its quiet 

Got a Friday artic job again after being on the rigids all week. Helping a company relocate to Warminster from Westbury. They sell matting. All sorts for all applications, changing rooms, offices, domestic, factories, schools, health care... just about everywhere. If you could see the green matting and coir matting that is being skipped, you guys would have a fit. Acres of the stuff!!!

Still. Got me some rolls of different stuff to take home for the dogs. Also, it means I get this for a day even if it's only going to be three loads!! 

20161216_112732.jpg

20161216_122801.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on these two today the david brown I have the rear brakes apart as they are binding a bit and the dashboard out as it has a steering oil leak also resealed all the fuel pipe fittings as it was sucking air in somewhere the 474 had got water get in one of the kingpins and seized solid but with a bit of heat and a big hammer me and my mate spud got it apart   

20161230_142323.jpg

20161230_142352.jpg

20161230_142516.jpg

20161230_142549.jpg

20161230_142620.jpg

20161230_142438.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, smithy said:

Been working on these two today the david brown I have the rear brakes apart as they are binding a bit and the dashboard out as it has a steering oil leak also resealed all the fuel pipe fittings as it was sucking air in somewhere the 474 had got water get in one of the kingpins and seized solid but with a bit of heat and a big hammer me and my mate spud got it apart   

20161230_142323.jpg

20161230_142352.jpg

20161230_142516.jpg

20161230_142549.jpg

20161230_142620.jpg

20161230_142438.jpg

clever idea turning the king pin over , ready made vice. whats the 474 like , wouldn't be many made before the rebranded it  the 475 with a perkins engine

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dm434 said:

clever idea turning the king pin over , ready made vice. whats the 474 like , wouldn't be many made before the rebranded it  the 475 with a perkins engine

we tried it in a press yesterday ,not much to push against on the bottom and with some heat on it the bearing housing was bending we had 15ton of pressure on it and not moving so plan B plenty of strong block of wood under tractor front end in case it did slip ,stub axle upside down with a hyd/jack pushing up on the bit we needed to move with the weight of tractor pushing down plenty of heat and my mate spud on the big hammer brute force and ignorance it moved rest of tractor all works fine a few dents here and there and a broken back window as the person that was using it last was not that carful I think he thought it was a Tank it was then left outside for about a year hence the seized kingpin    

• Like 3

7 hours ago, smithy said:

we tried it in a press yesterday ,not much to push against on the bottom and with some heat on it the bearing housing was bending we had 15ton of pressure on it and not moving so plan B plenty of strong block of wood under tractor front end in case it did slip ,stub axle upside down with a hyd/jack pushing up on the bit we needed to move with the weight of tractor pushing down plenty of heat and my mate spud on the big hammer brute force and ignorance it moved rest of tractor all works fine a few dents here and there and a broken back window as the person that was using it last was not that carful I think he thought it was a Tank it was then left outside for about a year hence the seized kingpin    

Good to see you can't work without a bag of biscuits Smithy that are sat on stool in front of tractor ;)  

• Like 2