What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

well that 2 weeks of holiday went hellish quick, temps of mid 30’s for most of it topped of 40 for two days while in lisbon, nice easy 2.5 hour drive back this morn from southapton, left 7.30 home just before 10 , nice and quiet, no proper traffic to deal with, unlike the 4 and a half hours up on the sat two weeks ago

• Like 4

What is the 'etiquette' at these events?

Bring and use your own tool?

Arrive empty and use an unattended tool?

Bring a tool and use swap / turn about with others?

Do you cultivate what someone has just ploughed or plough something freshly cultivated?

Yes it looked a bit of an odd beast. Think I got some shots of it ploughing later. 

This morning I've been out removing the front wheel bearing on the 785. Ended up removing hub and wheel together as they've rust/fym welded together. As they say one job leads to another, looking at the thread for the castle nut on the end of the stub, it's really flattened and chewed up. Possibly why we've got problems. I'm going to have someone with more knowledge take a look, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to put a new king pin in, never done that before! 

IMG_20230828_101102052.jpg

IMG_20230828_160220014.jpg

IMG_20230828_160225957_HDR.jpg

Edited by SirTainly
Better photos of the worn bit
  • Sad 1

On 8/28/2023 at 10:47 AM, SirTainly said:

Yes it looked a bit of an odd beast. Think I got some shots of it ploughing later. 

This morning I've been out removing the front wheel bearing on the 785. Ended up removing hub and wheel together as they've rust/fym welded together. As they say one job leads to another, looking at the thread for the castle nut on the end of the stub, it's really flattened and chewed up. Possibly why we've got problems. I'm going to have someone with more knowledge take a look, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to put a new king pin in, never done that before! 

IMG_20230828_101102052.jpg

IMG_20230828_160220014.jpg

IMG_20230828_160225957_HDR.jpg

I had one do similar on our 5000 and had to get a new kingpin and the castellated nut was sloppy from new! So cut through one castellation with angle grinder and squeezed it tighter around the thread and then welded the closed gap so nut was then a really good fit. When ploughing the nut has a big load on the land wheel as the wheel is angled to keep in the furrow and the outer hub bearing is pushing against it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NIGEL FORD said:

I had one do similar on our 5000 and had to get a new kingpin and the castellated nut was sloppy from new! So cut through one castellation with angle grinder and squeezed it tighter around the thread and then welded the closed gap so nut was then a really good fit. When ploughing the nut has a big load on the land wheel as the wheel is angled to keep in the furrow and the outer hub bearing is pushing against it.

Thanks, makes sense why one side would be so mangled compared to the other.

Been busy mowing and baling last week making the most of the sun. Out mowing on Saturday and there were a couple of people with drones messing about. had a chat with them and got them to send me some footage. 

Was working close to home so wife and boy came out to see me.

Quite pleased with the video I was sent!

• Like 4