What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Smithy old mate have you not heard of that sticky stuff that's comes in Tubs or Cartridges that would stop you mouldboards going rusty,

but it doe's look like you have done a half decent job without gps, hope your well Goody.

sticky stuff?? We used to put a coat of old engine oil on ours, lot cheaper
  • Like 2

Smithy my maths are not good but surely 4.5 tons at £100 an acre is better than 3 tons per acre at £140 a ton,sorry i forgot you old boys like

5.5 tons an acre at £140 a ton.  Only Joking Smithy it doe's help us if you do well, and all the model suppliers who you buy from including Marty.

Your maths are not good to me always to many 0 on the end

only joking goody hope you had a good holiday will call and see you soon might bring that lovely wife off mine  

• Like 1

Friday 21st August welded shaft back in place on 945 baler and back in action did about 800 bales which me and the wife was carting up to midnight on Friday and finished Saturday morning then went combining till about 12-30am sat night/sun morning in the mean time the big baler boys had turned up at about 11pm and by midnight had baled and stacked on the headland appox 20 acres of straw the picture is me at about midnight started again at 9am today (sunday) and by 2pm had finished harvest by 3pm it was raining

post-1115-0-72263100-1440368486_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Is she an Ayrshire x Frisian pat? Do you block calve them all as now?

She's a Swedish red out of (I think) a kiwi cross x fresian, but don't quote me on that I'd have to ask to be sure.

Currently block calving 650ish in a 12 week block, meant to start on the 20th of August but by that date we had 42 calve already. I'm currently on my placement year from uni here, coming from high input system to a lower cost grazing based one has been a steep learning curve. Very interesting and gaining a lot from it though

• Like 1

Is the kiwi where she gets the darkness from then? Swiss reds are lighter aren't they? Grazing that many will be a challenge, we AYR calve and have less than 1/10 if that number. The milk price is still heading the wrong way into winter but the proposed floor price to be paid by some of the big supermarkets is promising, so long as it isn't just words.... Again.

Edited by mb86

Is the kiwi where she gets the darkness from then? Swiss reds are lighter aren't they? Grazing that many will be a challenge, we AYR calve and have less than 1/10 if that number. The milk price is still heading the wrong way into winter but the proposed floor price to be paid by some of the big supermarkets is promising, so long as it isn't just words.... Again.

The darker colour probably comes from the cross breeding with black cows. Grazing can be a challenges but we use big groups and a paddock system along with measuring grass growth.

The two main problems I see are that there is too much milk being produced on the world and milk in this country doesn't have a recognisable brand (small exception is cravendale) so can't be marketed very well

You are spot on there, UK production is falling slowly and so is the national herd, where as world production is growing rapidly, ahead of consumption, leaving a huge excess of milk driving down spot price which coupled with the weak euro gives a cheap product to import.

I don't know how much difference a premium brand for UK produced milk would make to the price, supermarkets are always going to have a cheaper product from imported milk, I don't think many consumers will choose the more expensive uk produced product over this cheaper option in the shops, maybe in rural towns it will be different, but not in big towns and cities, or at least not until the cheap stuff has sold out.

Been to Cambridge and Ely this morning and apart from the bus fare I didn't spend a penny, thinking about jumping on the half 2 bus to Bury st Edmunds and getting my monies worth out of the ticket

Went to Bury in the end and got a few bits for my modeling.

As in baby oil and g string or as in tractor modeling?

Oh an angry face at a JOKE hence the SMILEYS attached to it!!!!! .i have no doubt theres genuine reasons why,and i certainly dont want to know them and i am sure you wouldnt say either , at no point was the comment ment to be nasty or malicious , lighten up for heavens sake, lifes to short to be miserable all the time

Yawn Sean until you know the reasons why I'm not working don't make comments like this thank you >:( in fact I don't think I'll bother posting on here anymore.

Come on mark keep up the posting I am sure Sean was saying his comment as a joke I now I have made remarks like that in the past to things and then said to myself I hope he see the funny side of it .I now you may be fed up as people don't post replies about some of the things you have built but that is this forum so keep up the posting mark as we need your help to keep it going and to keep them pesky grass men in check .(sorry grass-men that is a joke)anyway I had better shut up now as its stopped rain for now and got things to do see you all later   

• Like 1

Only now got in from work ,started hedgecutting  at 7-30 am Friday morning and stopped about 7-30 pm the wind had dropped a lot so went of to spread 25 tons of lime on next years beet ground had to get it done as somebody else wants the spreader Saturday morning also spreading it in the dark people cant see the dust cloud that follows you across the field    

• Like 1

Took spreader back at 7am then went of and sprayed 10 acres with roundup then went off to Doe powers demo of the Rowtrac Magnum for my second time what a machine I could soon get the hang of driving that all day lovely leather seat good all round visibility and good tracks putting the power down on the ground . When I got home I went ploughing till 9pm   

• Like 1