What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Don't now how many Quality Street (other chocolate sweets are availably) I have worked of today but this morning a mixed up by hand two barrow loads of concrete and laid it to mend my mates path that we had to damage to rescue a cat , but that's another story and then this afternoon I filled a 4 ton trailer one and a half times with the muck out of my chicken shed I now it was not 4 ton when full but it was still a lot to put on with a 4 tine fork about ready for another Quality Street now  

• Like 1

T B testing cattle. We have done 720 over the last two weeks, blood and skin tests, 135 to do tomorrow, and then that's all of them done once. Bad news is, we have had 15 reactors and 5 inconclusive on the bloods, so we have to re- test again in 60 days.three other farmers in this part of Essex have tested positive aswell, so it looks like the disease is spreading fast.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 5:41 PM, chris.watson said:

T B testing cattle. We have done 720 over the last two weeks, blood and skin tests, 135 to do tomorrow, and then that's all of them done once. Bad news is, we have had 15 reactors and 5 inconclusive on the bloods, so we have to re- test again in 60 days.three other farmers in this part of Essex have tested positive aswell, so it looks like the disease is spreading fast.

That not good Chris all the work cattle take to look after them and then they fail the test then you have it on your mind the next 60 days ,and I thought arable farming was hard glad I not got cattle  

18 minutes ago, smithy said:

That not good Chris all the work cattle take to look after them and then they fail the test then you have it on your mind the next 60 days ,and I thought arable farming was hard glad I not got cattle  

We will get there smithy mate, it takes so long to do as we have such a large herd. Other parts of the country have it worse than us.

4 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

You got any livestock at all smithy?? Or used to ? Or has it always been crops and that's it 

Only got 3 horses and 8 hens on the farm now ,up till about 1990 we used to have up to about a dozen beef cattle on the farm but as was not making a lot out of them and working away from farm a lot did not have a lot of time to look after them so got out ,been crops ever since then

8 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

We will get there smithy mate, it takes so long to do as we have such a large herd. Other parts of the country have it worse than us.

I used to help a neighbour that had 50 cattle a few years back with his blood testing used to take up to 2 days to get the crush and gates /rails in place then another day to test them so I now what hassle it is  

52 minutes ago, smithy said:

Only got 3 horses and 8 hens on the farm now ,up till about 1990 we used to have up to about a dozen beef cattle on the farm but as was not making a lot out of them and working away from farm a lot did not have a lot of time to look after them so got out ,been crops ever since then

Interesting, I only very recently found out that we started as a mixed dairy and pig unit on my granddads farm way back when, my mother can just remember the last cows going , and the dairy unit getting ripped out, my uncles have no recall of it at all, that would have been around the early 1950's , it appears that the other two were full dairy from the early 1900's until then to  , when my great grandad took over from his father . That's also when he swapped from fordson tractors to mf's ,again something we didn't know. One of my uncles has been going back through stuff found in my nan's pics ect, and checking with the two remaining brothers .

• Like 1

On 5 January 2016 at 5:41 PM, chris.watson said:

Sorry to hear that Chris, it is terrible when there is nothing you can do. Are you tested every year and have you had reactors before? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

Interesting, I only very recently found out that we started as a mixed dairy and pig unit on my granddads farm way back when, my mother can just remember the last cows going , and the dairy unit getting ripped out, my uncles have no recall of it at all, that would have been around the early 1950's , it appears that the other two were full dairy from the early 1900's until then to  , when my great grandad took over from his father . That's also when he swapped from fordson tractors to mf's ,again something we didn't know. One of my uncles has been going back through stuff found in my nan's pics ect, and checking with the two remaining brothers .

My father had about 60 sows up till 1969 but one of them nocked a heater lamp and the hole building went up in flames got the pigs out ok but building completely

destroyed remember it well as I had a hole week of school to help look after them in temporary buildings insurance paid for building but sold the pigs off over the  following weeks         

39 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Sorry to hear that Chris, it is terrible when there is nothing you can do. Are you tested every year and have you had reactors before? 

Thanks Martin. We are a TB 4 area here, and were due a test next year, but had a beast go for slaughter and the vet spotted lesions in the throat so we had to have a test, and that's where we have found it in other animals. We have bought stock in, all allegedly TB clear, but our mate 7 miles away has a totally closed dairy herd and he has had 5 reactors on a recent test, his was picked up in a cull cow that went for slaughter. 

I hope that you don't have any more reactors. Is your mate in a 4 area? One problem is you can't control your neighbours stock, we have a dealer not far from us who deals in, for want of a better word, s*1t. God knows what diseases he distributes round the area, he has to be TB tested when ever he moves beast though, which he complaines about but the rest of us don't!

Edited by mb86

Pouring down of rain at moment so sat at office desk trying to fill in grain assurance paper work as got a inspection coming up in next few weeks ,also sorting out dates and booking in to all the training days we have to go on ,as don't wont to clash with the doe show and other free shows . First meeting is tomorrow morning with my Agronomist to complete my Nutrient Management Plan 2016 then next Wednesday 13th January at the Imperial War Museum Duxford , Cambridge where Frontier are holding a 3D THINKING SEMINAR not sure what this one means but it say at the bottom of booking in form LUNCH provided so that's good enough for me .Better get of he now and do some more boring paper work   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Is your nutrient management plan 2016 your agronomists way of booking you into a care home smithy mate, be careful what you sign up for.........

Yes Chris it sounds like that plenty of nutrient in baked beans if that's what they feed me at lunch time but I hope I got a few more years before they put me away haha 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MadMark said:

Been packing my model stuff as I'm giving it a rest for a while, lost the spark for doing it.

We all loos the spark at sometime Mark ,and as they say a change is as good as a rest . At least you can still pop in and out of the forum when you like not like some that have chucked in the towel of late ,you don't have to be building/converting models all the time to join in as you often make me smile with some of your quotes  and funny pictures you put up look forward to your next ones Greengrass ,or MadMark or what ever .

Smithy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MadMark said:

I'll still be here smithy just not doing any conversions or scratch builds. Might buy the odd model but running out of room to display them, so more selective I'll have to be.

images.jpg.2dc76bac9b378d1ec3e6de79112bf

that's just what I meant by funny pictures thanks mark

• Like 1