What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Had one of those days today,been out in the shed and did some more on the beet harvester,however in the 2 hrs out there the heater packed up,and I spent as much time picking stuff up of the floor as attempting to make the thing,no idea why ,might be down to the cold,as even with the heater on before it went bang,it still felt cold,so came in and ripped up the front roadway into ash tree up,and started to fit the new banks and ditches in with the shaper sheet , seems very easy to use but I think it's going to need the plaster with it to,as with the contours I suspect even set with paint it's not going to sit right,with the plaster I can do it in sections and work along, got most of the big bits cut and in,just need to finish a few bits and I can plaster it up to set.

• Like 3

I was asked by the solicitor and the Exeter's to the will of some land that I rent if I could put some antifreeze in the two tractors that remain on the farm and get them in the shed ,well I did the 474 but the 414 when I found it I just let the water out will do that one another day   

20160114_113935.jpg

20160114_110512.jpg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, smithy said:

Started the McCormick up today to keep the battery's topped up then the wife said she will take it for a drive round the village

IMG_14891.jpg

Have you got your van stuck in the field smithy, she looks like she is going to get in the tractor to pull you off.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, smithy said:

Started the McCormick up today to keep the battery's topped up then the wife said she will take it for a drive round the village

IMG_14891.jpg

MR SMITH! That's bad so much that poor old Julie has to take her clothes off as the cab is that dirty so she don't mess up her only set of good clothes shame on you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mf135 said:

MR SMITH! That's bad so much that poor old Julie has to take her clothes off as the cab is that dirty so she don't mess up her only set of good clothes shame on you. 

Yes and do you now what she said   DOES MY BUM LOOK BIG IN THIS

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, mf135 said:

No I think she said quote "Do I have to be a bum to drive a McCormick" 

I think I my memory is correct that you was the first person to drive it on my farm late one night carting sugar beet a few years ago when it was lent to me by Suffolk Agri Center so hue is the bum now? 

12 hours ago, smithy said:

I think I my memory is correct that you was the first person to drive it on my farm late one night carting sugar beet a few years ago when it was lent to me by Suffolk Agri Center so hue is the bum now? 

Yes and loved it! Was it Boxing Day or day after proper Xmas that. In fairness it pulls like a train but I won't try it from Liverpool street to Norwich though! 

On 7 January 2016 at 9:37 AM, mb86 said:

I hope that you don't have any more reactors. Is your mate in a 4 area? One problem is you can't control your neighbours stock, we have a dealer not far from us who deals in, for want of a better word, s*1t. God knows what diseases he distributes round the area, he has to be TB tested when ever he moves beast though, which he complaines about but the rest of us don't!

11 more beasts this week.all on first stage failed blood tests, including our best saler bull. A real chocker but he has to go. We have tested some for the second 60 day test, and they went clear so a few green shoots of hope. Downside is that we can't move cattle out on to rented ground that we were strip grazing as they wont give us a movement licence so 30 acres of mangels / stubble turnips are sat in the field going to waste. More money down the plug hole.

1 minute ago, mb86 said:

Oh sh1t, were these reactors in the same group as the last ones? Do you have to have a clear test before you can move stock again?

These reactors had not been tested before, we are still on first test for some of the herd, as they have only just come in a month ago, grass grew well in the mild December so they stayed out. We will test 120 tomorrow and then that's 857 head that has been done at least once.  Good sign is that we have done 134 head for a second test and that group has gone clear. For some stupid reason, the ministry won't grant a licence to move cattle to parts of the fam that we rent the land, we can only turn out on owned land. We rent a whole farm next door of 186 acres, have had it for 10 years and we are the only ones there, but they say it's not our own holding, what's the sense in that. As you can imagine Martin, with everything home we are getting through straw, baled silage and fodder beet at a fair rate. After tomorrow we will have to test everything again in 60 days, and if that's clear , another test at 6 months I think. Welfare issues will come into play in the spring, so hopefully we can turn out under licence then.

12 hours ago, chris.watson said:

These reactors had not been tested before, we are still on first test for some of the herd, as they have only just come in a month ago, grass grew well in the mild December so they stayed out. We will test 120 tomorrow and then that's 857 head that has been done at least once.  Good sign is that we have done 134 head for a second test and that group has gone clear. For some stupid reason, the ministry won't grant a licence to move cattle to parts of the fam that we rent the land, we can only turn out on owned land. We rent a whole farm next door of 186 acres, have had it for 10 years and we are the only ones there, but they say it's not our own holding, what's the sense in that. As you can imagine Martin, with everything home we are getting through straw, baled silage and fodder beet at a fair rate. After tomorrow we will have to test everything again in 60 days, and if that's clear , another test at 6 months I think. Welfare issues will come into play in the spring, so hopefully we can turn out under licence then.

At least the 2nd tests were clear, but not much consolation I know. When have the ministry ever used common sense, do you think they are going to wait till you have a clear test to grant the movement licence? You could potentially have the holding number on the rented land changed to the same as your own land which may mean they can't stop you. we did this with 60 acre next door on a yearly tenancy which made moving grass maggots (sheep) round a hell of a lot less complicated.