What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

3 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Bit of a surprise at work today, it's 20 years since Crossland took over Massey Tankers, there's only a handful of us ex Massey men left now, I started as an apprentice back in 1995 the Monday morning after my last GCSE exam and been there ever since, Crosslands took over in September 2003 so as a thank you for our 20 years service to Crosslands we got gifted some flowers and a card that was signed by the management and included a voucher for a meal out..... have to say job has its ups and downs but keeps the cash coming in. Maybes I'll stick at it for another couple of years 🤣🤣

received_690487572953416.jpeg

received_700190648813350~2.jpeg

As some off the lads said Paul. It's good to be appreciated. I myself have been in my job 23 years. My boss has retired and the business has been passed down to the next generation. Unfortunately this generation don't seem to value the long term experienced fabricatiors and welders as much and a few lads have moved on as a result. I myself would move on only my commute is short and I'm near the kids if needs be... Very hard now to get decent experienced guys in this trade. It could take years to have a lad up to scratch on all our products we make.. Things are alot different now to what it was 10 years ago.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:35 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Congratulations Paul! We had some 20/30 year men at Wheelbase and they knew more than any of the engineers, a very valuable asset but highly underrated. I was chatting to Conor at the Road Transport Expo about job opportunities at Crossland but I've gone to Thompsons Tippers instead.

Thanks James, aye you can't beat a bit of old knowledge, but unfortunately once it's out the door to pastures new you can't replace it..... I'll be the longest serving now in the chassis shop, and not wanting to big myself up but there isn't anyone else in the workshop that has the same knowledge of the jobs I do. Thompson's be abit more interesting than Wheelbase I'd have thought, but we could do with a right designer....just this week I got given a drawing for the location of a VBG drawbar hitch which if fitted in designer intended position would only give the close coupled trailers A frame the width of the chassis rails on the truck to articulate left and right and didn't much allow for any pitch or roll....... hence why I do say that CAD is short for Crayola Aided Design 🤣

• Haha 2

On 9/28/2023 at 9:41 PM, smithy said:

Well done Paul ,bet Gemma would like a bunch like that , every week🤣 hopefully the meal voucher covers both of you

Cheers Smithy, to be honest it doesn't seem like I been there that long..... but now getting time to think back there's been a hell of a lot of change in them years from Massey through to Crosslands today. 🤣 Yes hope Gemma doesn't get used to flowers like that all the time.... although I maybe should have brought the flowers home and said I'd bought another tractor 🤣.........I should think the meal voucher would cover the food, might need to add a bit to pay for a drink on top but it's not a bad surprise gift..... just wondering what we'll get for 25 years at Crosslands 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 10:13 PM, justy 46 said:

As some off the lads said Paul. It's good to be appreciated. I myself have been in my job 23 years. My boss has retired and the business has been passed down to the next generation. Unfortunately this generation don't seem to value the long term experienced fabricatiors and welders as much and a few lads have moved on as a result. I myself would move on only my commute is short and I'm near the kids if needs be... Very hard now to get decent experienced guys in this trade. It could take years to have a lad up to scratch on all our products we make.. Things are alot different now to what it was 10 years ago.. 

It is Justin, but I know what you mean with things changing, the young lads now aren't as keen they don't seem to want to get on and learn from old hands.... their attitude at times doesn't help, not that you can give them a crack with a hammer shaft on the elbow anymore.... they seem to get away with I'm not doing that, health and safety say I can't pick that up it's too heavy.... or it's not my job....... the old ways never did us any harm, one youth came and we set him on drilling a Volvo chassis for a set of rear bumper drops we showed him how to use drill and set him away whilst we carried on..... 45 mins later he still drilling, then he drilling but not making any progress at all...... so a further 20 mins we went to have a look at why an hour in he hadn't drilled the dozen holes only to find he managed to flip the drill into reverse and hadn't noticed and couldn't work out why it wasn't drilling......

We did say to management that it's time the youths need to do a aptitude test to see they understand a little bit of basic principles otherwise the current new starters probably still need be shown how to tie their boot laces 

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

It is Justin, but I know what you mean with things changing, the young lads now aren't as keen they don't seem to want to get on and learn from old hands.... their attitude at times doesn't help, not that you can give them a crack with a hammer shaft on the elbow anymore.... they seem to get away with I'm not doing that, health and safety say I can't pick that up it's too heavy.... or it's not my job....... the old ways never did us any harm, one youth came and we set him on drilling a Volvo chassis for a set of rear bumper drops we showed him how to use drill and set him away whilst we carried on..... 45 mins later he still drilling, then he drilling but not making any progress at all...... so a further 20 mins we went to have a look at why an hour in he hadn't drilled the dozen hopes only to find her managed to flip the drill into reverse and hadn't noticed and couldn't work out why it wasn't drilling......

We did say to management that it's time the youths need to do a aptitude test to see they understand a little bit of basic principles otherwise the current new starters probably still need be shown how to tie their boot laces 

We had the very same thing happen an apprentice with a pillar drill. He had it in reverse on a very high speed without coolant running and it was stores keeper alerted us to the amount off drill bits he was breaking. 😂😂 He blamed a Monday morning hangover.. It was one off the Mondays he showed up work. But he did not last long in the job.. 🙄😁

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, justy 46 said:

We had the very same thing happen an apprentice with a pillar drill. He had it in reverse on a very high speed without coolant running and it was stores keeper alerted us to the amount off drill bits he was breaking. 😂😂 He blamed a Monday morning hangover.. It was one off the Mondays he showed up work. But he did not last long in the job.. 🙄😁

The youth aren't like we were..... makes you wonder how some survive in every day life let alone the work place environment...... 

• Like 3

Went to operate spool valve while working other days and saw oil shoot out from under cab , return pipe had blown apart,got back to farm and striped it down,next morning I nipped over to Agri-hire and they was able to make me one up so soon got going again 

IMG_20231005_065129475_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231005_212630746.jpg

IMG_20231006_082533804.jpg

IMG_20231006_082549782_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231006_114923421_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231006_114930856_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Not long home from a week away touring the Scottish Highlands in my Defender with my better half Gemma, covered 1510 miles since we left home last Friday morning, visited Isle of Skye, Inverness, John o groats, the battlefield of Culloden, went Nessie spotting on Loch Ness, had a few hours wandering about Urquhart castle, dropped by Ullapool and returned home via Glencoe, been a good week only really spoilt by bad weather last Sunday but we no control in that... Gemma even found a new friend on Skye, 

IMG_20231008_120236.jpg

IMG_20231008_121151.jpg

IMG_20231010_123113.jpg

received_1736838956762622.jpeg

IMG_20231011_111444.jpg

IMG_20231011_130406.jpg

IMG_20231012_155120.jpg

IMG_20231012_155208.jpg

IMG_20231012_155340.jpg

IMG_20231008_140340~2.jpg

• Like 6