At work with Martin (NH2)

NewHolland2

MJB1

When you were chopping straw into the back of the shed was it Ammonia or Caustic Soda you were applying?

ooh now thats thrown it  ??? now you said caustic it probably was as we used to treat crimped wheat with the same stuff but having said that , the barrels used to say ammonia on the chopper trailer

not so sure about either now , for all i remember the straw was probably treated with rum & coke  :-\

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i have to say mart, i have never heard of that method in straw, i can understand the logic in it, but when stacked properly in a dutch barn like we did, or in the other implement barn when needed we never had a issue with damp straw, by the time you got to any on the outside it was spring/ early summer so they had dried out

well i have to say mart, i have never heard of that method in straw, i can understand the logic in it, but when stacked properly in a dutch barn like we did, or in the other implement barn when needed we never had a issue with damp straw, by the time you got to any on the outside it was spring/ early summer so they had dried out

Used alot up here in scotland Sean, Normally tubeline the straw and then inject each bale with ammonia. The ammonia makes the straw more palatable for the cattle. It is a great way of filling the sucklers cows bellies but not putting on much weight. You are supposed to take the bales out of the wrap and leave them to air before feeding them.

• 4 weeks later...

intresting pics mart, notice you didnt rave about the nh either, maybe we need to see a name swap from you now mate :D :D :D

ment to ask ,i may have missed this but, did you cut with the mf combine this year, or contractor again, and is the boss getting his own mf combine again as you mentioned a while back

intresting pictures mart, notice you didnt rave about the nh either, maybe we need to see a name swap from you now mate :D :D :D

ment to ask ,i may have missed this but, did you cut with the mf combine this year, or contractor again, and is the boss getting his own mf combine again as you mentioned a while back

That day I drove the T6070 it's totally different to look out of than the 6480, it's a much shorter bonnet to look over, whereas the 6480 is pretty long in comparison........

No we just went with the contractor again this year Sean for the time factor, the plan at the moment is to sell the 525 and 520 and keep the 525 Super II and get it up and running again as it's unlikely we'll have the same amount of ground in barley again so would be easier for us to do our smaller fields with it........ :)

very good point,has he bought anything else new then? other that what you have tould us about?? and has the dump trailers been out on rental as planned

Nothing else new as yet Sean, but the tattie trailers seem to be the way to go as they're all still out and about on hire, he's thinking of perhaps selling the Portequip we use and getting another two ten boxers, one with a detachable bale ladder so we can get the use of it too........

Herron 16 tonner has been out twice and we've had the Hudson tri-axle livestock float out once too, dumpers haven't been the greatest success yet, but we've certainly got the use of them........ :)

once people know you have them your away, i guess dumps are a one off thing for most people unless in the building trade so to speak. not many other uses for them like spud/bale trailers and grain trailers

I've made a few flyers up so they're doing the rounds now so this time next year we should be better placed hopefully once the word has travelled around a bit more........ :)

Nice update mart been keeping busy I see really but dont think your dump trailers will really start picking up till november as thats when farmers have finished flying round like headless chickens and start to think right lets sort those tracks outetc ready for next year;)

nice pics mart , that dryers a fair size mate , what capacity is that & whats the  expected throughput per hour

selling the 520 & 525 ,

MARKY get yer wallet out , thses two should be restored to summer show demonstrators , not enough of these machines are preserved  :)

Nice update mart been keeping busy I see really but dont think your dump trailers will really start picking up till november as thats when farmers have finished flying round like headless chickens and start to think right lets sort those tracks outetc ready for next year;)

Cheers Phil, good point mate, hopefully there will be a few jobs about for them........ :)

nice pictures mart , that dryers a fair size mate , what capacity is that & whats the  expected throughput per hour

selling the 520 & 525 ,

MARKY get yer wallet out , thses two should be restored to summer show demonstrators , not enough of these machines are preserved  :)

Drier is a 10 tonne model Marcus, was taking around 3 to 3.5 hours to dry the barley down to 14% moisture, we reckon it come off the field at around 18 or 19%. The last three loads were down to 2.5 hours as it was the last field cut so was the lowest moisture at cutting........ :)

Great pictures you have made.

Texas

Thanks Bas........ :)