Well what about this then... Did anyone ever use one of these ???

Lord Ferguson

Well... I know it as a veg Sean... little used nowadays... but it WAS popular... from the brassica family I guess... I guess we should assume it was cattle food  ???

Is from the cabbage family isn't it?  :-\

Here's the definition....  ;)

'Curly-leafed member of the cabbage family which grows in loose bunches. The strong-tasting leaves are rich in vitamins A and C, potassium, calcium and iron; frequently eaten boiled or used as garnish.'

I've heard of it ..... can't think were though. But what springs to mind is the Cabbage family. But im pretty sure it was on the Simpsons for whatever reason..... they were making a model man out of it i think ..... may have got that completely wrong but thats what springs to mind.  :D Weird

I will ask Alan Tichmarsh  ,I have his number somewhere,believe it or not we were in southern Ireland last year and ther was a demolished farm near where we were stayin and we saw one of these ,I hadnt a furkin clue wot it was ,so cheers ,I can now put my Father in Law out of his misery  ;D and a small pic for NH2 courtesy of Tracterror

post-118-132638557134_thumb.jpg

My grandfather had one of these!

I never saw it being used for cutting kale, but it made a great bale carrier once we had hacked off the rocker arm in the middle and removed the associated gubbins.

We got a toplink off a Massey 35 digger and modified it with a section of box iron and a hair trigger.

A very young spn would come down the haggard with a load of bales on't back, stand on the sidebrake just before hitting the elevator, spin the steering wheel, reach back, smack the trigger, the toplink would release, spilling the bales in front of the elevator, drop the hydraulics to lower the buckrake, thus resetting the toplink, and straight back out the gate I came in, and away back to the field for the next 25 bales.

All this without touching the clutch!

I got very skilled at placing the bales exactly where I wanted them after a while.   ;)

kale ! yeah drilled loads of the stuff, mixed in with stubble turnips , cows go mad for it , but a complete barsteward trying to move the electric fence for them every day !

once all the leaves are stripped , just the stalk is left looks familliar to sprout stalks , bugger to plough in mind . the last dairy farm i worked on grew approx 30 acres of the stuff, makes a good break crop from grass all the time

take the  silage from it , plough , drill the kale , for winter feeding , plough ready for maize  :)

My grandfather had one of these!

I never saw it being used for cutting kale, but it made a great bale carrier once we had hacked off the rocker arm in the middle and removed the associated gubbins.

We got a toplink off a Massey 35 digger and modified it with a section of box iron and a hair trigger.

A very young spn would come down the haggard with a load of bales on't back, stand on the sidebrake just before hitting the elevator, spin the steering wheel, reach back, smack the trigger, the toplink would release, spilling the bales in front of the elevator, drop the hydraulics to lower the buckrake, thus resetting the toplink, and straight back out the gate I came in, and away back to the field for the next 25 bales.

All this without touching the clutch!

I got very skilled at placing the bales exactly where I wanted them after a while.   ;)

Thanks Stan.... I find myself closing my eyes and imagening all that... must have been quite a scene  :)8)

kale ! yeah drilled loads of the stuff, mixed in with stubble turnips , cows go mad for it , but a complete barsteward trying to move the electric fence for them every day !

once all the leaves are stripped , just the stalk is left looks familliar to sprout stalks , bugger to plough in mind . the last dairy farm i worked on grew approx 30 acres of the stuff, makes a good break crop from grass all the time

take the  silage from it , plough , drill the kale , for winter feeding , plough ready for maize  :)

Did you ever use the cutrake then Marcus  ???

Did you ever use the cutrake then Marcus  ???

no i have never used one mark, seen something simmilar working but not a fergie one. the only fergie one i have seen was at a 'yesterdays farming' event

Drilled a lot for pheasant cover around field margins, then let the sheep strip it down. They make a far better job than cattle at getting rid of the stalks. Very nice in a bit of scotch broth.( Both sheep and Kale )

lot of kale for phesant cover round here graeme , along with maize :)

up till a few years ago ,my nan used to cook kale  for sunday dinner & is still available in some supermarkets

you can zero ,strip graze harvest it

on to the turnips we used to strip graze that and as you said marcus

a pain to electric fence it

we used to top one strip and fence on the topped strip so the leaves diddnt earth the fence and used a topper because we would be months

cutting with a hand siphe the size of field we strip grazed

there's many things like that sean . was reading an article in trucking mag once & this haulier was running the M5  bristol >exeter everyday, can't say i'd ever seen his trucks ,but from then on i saw 2-3 of them everyday afterwards  :-\

Drilled a lot for pheasant cover around field margins, then let the sheep strip it down. They make a far better job than cattle at getting rid of the stalks. Very nice in a bit of scotch broth.( Both sheep and Kale )

Exactly what is says on page 16 of this weeks farmers guardian and there also colour pictures if anyone not sure.  ;)