Deere-est

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

Well, well, well. Now I am online with the laptop I can finally get my photo's all rounded up and posted. Firstly, you have seen in this topic what we got up to in New Zealand back along, the silage work and the fires! Now I can show you what the actual peat harvesting entailed.

First up, these guys have the contract for hauling the harvested peat off to the grading and bagging plants. Lovely trucks, Mack (Renault) and Isuzu.

post-227-132639222167_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639222191_thumb.jpg

So, the ground is drained. I think it's something like 50m lands but I can't remember for the life of me. One of the guys here has the 716 and ditch cleaner. Two wheels closer at the bottom and forming a V-shape to clean the bottom of the drain and shape the sides. The ground is sponge like to no lateral drains in the lands themselves are needed, the water finds it's own way through the ground to these drains.

post-227-132639222242_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639222263_thumb.jpg

The loose peat is allowed to dry for a day, weather and temperature depending and then it is turned over with 'The Spoons'. A folding frame with loads of miniature plough shares on, they don't cut into the soil and are not depth controlled. All they do it slick the loose peat over to allow the soil to dry throughout. A bit like an acrobat does for a swath of hay. Here they are on my tractor.

post-227-132639222402_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639222412_thumb.jpg

Once that has dried off after another day or so, it's time to blade. This is a huge blade which mounts from the front, side and rear of the Fendt and blades the loose soil in to windrows. There are to windrows per land and it takes three passes to build a windrow usually. More passes are needed as the season draws on and peat takes more working to get at.

post-227-132639222466_thumb.jpg

Fitting it to the tractor takes about half an hour. No linkage is used, firstly the front suspension if the Fendt it lowered to locate the front pins into the blades frame.

Once this is situated and locked in then a support bar from the framework runs out from under the tractor and attaches to the blade about halfway along it's length.

post-227-132639222728_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639222743_thumb.jpg

Cheers, David. Always nice to add a bit of narrative text to photo's I think. Looking back at the photo's feels like I only left the place yesterday but truth be know this is two years ago almost to the day, we flew out on New Years Day '07!