Ford 7840......Before and After......

NewHolland2

biggest problem with these gearboxes mart is that when they got jumpy they needed re-calabrating , the biggest problem with them was farmers never got them done till it was going to cost big money  :(

know 2-3 lads with older white cabbed tractors & have never had major problems with them, but these are kept up together , i do know of some abused ones & cause trouble , more to do with the drivers than the tractors i suspect mate  ;)

if you're still looking at the 40 series , look for the 8240/8340

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

biggest problem with these gearboxes mart is that when they got jumpy they needed re-calabrating , the biggest problem with them was farmers never got them done till it was going to cost big money  :(

know 2-3 lads with older white cabbed tractors & have never had major problems with them, but these are kept up together , i do know of some abused ones & cause trouble , more to do with the drivers than the tractors i suspect mate  ;)

Cheers Marcus...... :)

Were the 8240/8340 less likely candidates for problems mate?

I know the 7840 is not as high hp as 8240/8340 and as you say they'd probably be a btter bet......

So many choices...... :D;)

Yeah sure did!!!

Something bigger would be good, but just depends on what your doing!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any 8240 or 8340 models nearer the end of the year for the right price too......

If I could keep saving I might not be far off a 60 Series models either as some of them seem to be creeping down in price and I've always liked the 60 Series, especially the 8360...... :) :) ;)

big money still i would think, but the 60's are some tractor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen some pretty decent prices on some 60 Series models......So I can keep hoping I can reach the required amount within the not too distant future...... :) :) ;)

I think a 40 Series is probably more realistic though......

biggest problem with these gearboxes mart is that when they got jumpy they needed re-calabrating , the biggest problem with them was farmers never got them done till it was going to cost big money  :(

know 2-3 lads with older white cabbed tractors & have never had major problems with them, but these are kept up together , i do know of some abused ones & cause trouble , more to do with the drivers than the tractors i suspect mate  ;)

:o :o :o Crickey Marcus for once you are so so spot on with your comments mate  :D :D

I would leave the 7840 well alone mate to be honest and as Marcus says you can pick up a cracking 8340 for that money and will be much more reliable

:o :o :oCrickey Marcus for once you are so so spot on with your comments mate  :D :D

I would leave the 7840 well alone mate to be honest and as Marcus says you can pick up a cracking 8340 for that money and will be much more reliable

yes it has been known to happen when i talk in ford -hew nollandish ;):D :D :D

If your after a Ford 40 series does it have to be a 6cyl.? An SL boxed 7740 is a little pocket rocket, Our one at college has clocked up 10450 hours, and another of my mates SL 7740 is coming up 9000 hours, they can be priced fairly decently too, some people have varied opinions on the 40 series, I personally think the older SLE boxes were poor (as mentioned) the SL & SL/DP boxes were rugged, often reliable but with sharp gear changes and quick shifting they often lock up. (Easy enough to fix, but a bit of a timewasting operation) The blue cabs were more reliable, blue cabbed Fords and the blue cab New Hollands, I havn't had alot to do with 6cyl. 40 series, although a mate of mine on Exmoor has a 7840 and he says the dog clutch tend to go after 6000 hours, where as on the 4cyl. this doesn't seem to be such a problem, our 6640 has clocked up a fair 6500 hours, trouble free, but my boss is very strict on the maintenance, which is a positive bonus, he carries out all the repairs himself and has qualifications in Agricultural Engineering, and we've owned the 6640 since 1997 and he says "It's one of the best all-round tractors we could have wanted" many contractors still use them today, so the bottom line is, if you find a right one thats been well looked after, preferably on a SL box or a SL/DP try to avoid the SLE's unless it's a blue roof, and you should be ok. Take my opinions for example and compare them with Nath's  ;)

Find a good one and you'll be happy!

Cheers for the info mate...... :)

If I was going to go for a 40 Series I'd rather it was a bigger 6 cylinder model due to the sort of operations around here......Having said that a good compromise would be an 8240/8340 with an SL/DP box......Just have to find one for a good enough price now...... ;) ;)

Well I think I missed the boat on this one...... :'(

Just checked the Agricar website and it's no longer listed......Looks like doing it up paid off for them......Must be coming up for about a year to the day they got it......There will no doubt be a cheer going up in the workshop as it leaves...... :D;)

Arn't you more concrned about saving up for your first car and insurance?

Now this is going to sound strange mate I know, but not really, I'd rather have a tractor...... :D :D ;)

Having said that once I've added all I want to add to it it will be a slightly done up tractor...... ;D ;D ;)

spoken by a true boy racer saxo man eh luke :D :D :D

thats a shame mart, but i am sure theres something out there with your name on soon mate,

Hopefully mate......By the end of the year the 2nd hand tractor market will be my oyster...... :D :D ;)

Ah well, hopefully you will be luckier next time mate. May sound a bit crazy, but it took me two years to get the lawnmower I have as nobody wanted to sell theirs. Just keep looking, we all know that hopefully soon you will get lucky and get your tractor.  :)

Ah well, hopefully you will be luckier next time mate. May sound a bit crazy, but it took me two years to get the lawnmower I have as nobody wanted to sell theirs. Just keep looking, we all know that hopefully soon you will get lucky and get your tractor.  :)

Cheers Tim...... :) :) ;)

Yeah i'm a Devon Racing G-Unit  :D :D :D :D :D

It's ok if the chicks up North don't mind being driven round in a Ford 8240!! Do what's best for you Mart! ;)

It's alright Luke, they don't mind......You wouldn't believe the number of advanced bookings of "can I come and drive your tractor" I've had...... ;D

We're all country bumpkins up here...... :D;)

Double Beacons  :-*:-* :-*:-* :-*

Well here's the planned list:-

Double Beacons

CB Radio

Name Plate with name of tractor at top of windscreen

Name Plate with "Big M" on the bottom of the windscreen

Air Horn

That's the plan so far......Don't want to add too much or it might spoil it but I know one lad's tractor that has plenty additions and it looks really impressive...... :) :) ;)