Spearhead Hedge Cutter

britainswomble

Looks great in the box, nice too, handy that it can be used on either side.

Right, thats where the compliments end. It all starts going wrong as soon as its removed from the box and fitted to a tractor. Then its about as much use as a wet piece of string. The rams don't hold any part of the arm up, it doesnt stay in the work position because there isn't any way to stop it from breaking away and there seems to be a lack of a main lift ram. Have I got a particularly crap version of what should be a very good machine, or are they all like it.

As a relatively new member to the forum, I would imagine this subject has come up before, but I would be interested if any of you have found a way of improving this useless implement, or are they best left in the box to be admired, and kept for posterity.

Yours sincerely, Victor Meldrew, sorry britainswomble. >:( >:(

im afraid all your points apply to all that were made, i have started converting on, it dosnt swing round either way now (put a stop inside the casting) and have made the head fixing more reaslistic, its posted in implement conversions somewere. lots more work to do at it yet but waiting to get my real spearhead delivered next week to use as a patter for photos etc and driving it will give me an idea of arm movements etc ;)

im afraid all your points apply to all that were made, i have started converting on, it dosnt swing round either way now (put a stop inside the casting) and have made the head fixing more reaslistic, its posted in implement conversions somewere. lots more work to do at it yet but waiting to get my real spearhead delivered next week to use as a patter for photos etc and driving it will give me an idea of arm movements etc ;)

I shall look forward to seeing your improvements. It's such a shame it wasn't a success and I'm surprised they released a machine of such poor quality in terms of usage, ie. it doesn't do anything its supposed to. My thanks for your reply. Cheers old chap. ;)

U bought a spearhead??

twose mate twose

U bought a spearhead??

twose mate twose

They are all part of the same American group ALAMO, I believe they own Spearhead, Twose, McConnel and i aren't to sure if Bomford aren't a part of them too now :-\

• 1 month later...

Looks great in the box, nice too, handy that it can be used on either side.

Right, thats where the compliments end. It all starts going wrong as soon as its removed from the box and fitted to a tractor. Then its about as much use as a wet piece of string. The rams don't hold any part of the arm up, it doesnt stay in the work position because there isn't any way to stop it from breaking away and there seems to be a lack of a main lift ram. Have I got a particularly crap version of what should be a very good machine, or are they all like it.

As a relatively new member to the forum, I would imagine this subject has come up before, but I would be interested if any of you have found a way of improving this useless implement, or are they best left in the box to be admired, and kept for posterity.

Yours sincerely, Victor Meldrew, sorry britainswomble. >:( >:(

I unscrewed the bottom plate  and put a washer on the pole that holds the arm section on. See the diagram below. Be carefull however not to stip the threads when re tightening. Also, it is possible to squeeze the hinge point where the arm mounts to make this joint tighter.

Regards,

Jez. Failing that, find someone to build you a nice McConnel

post-705-132638576122_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
??? Only plac my one had a problem was it was far to lose in the slew so i taped the pole and shes good as now. The rams work ok. All i have done is taken the stay bar out and put a long Ram in there to adjust the angles more.