Greenbelt Forage Deck

This is something that i have never seen in the flesh so was something of a novelty when i was asked to make it by a certain barn building member on here. Used in conjunction with a blower it is used to fill up silo type silage bins, with the load being tipped onto the bed and then being tipped up onto the back section of floor before being pulled through a pair of beaters (yet to be fitted) by a slatted floor and then conveyed into the blower. I'm sure that Garret can answer any questions on the workings of one of these better than i can. It's managed to keep me out of trouble all day today though ::):D :D ;)

post-334-132638565043_thumb.jpg

post-334-132638565047_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blimey i haven't seen one of those for a long while  :o

looks very good gav  :)

Thanks, I'd never seen one of these until Garret sent me the info the other night, everyone here is on clamp systems, can't remember even seeing a silo around here :-\

ive seen a few off these in my time have put a couple off silos up the harvest store type  these used to be common kit but i think clamps and big bales have taken over  but i know a farm in welshpool still use them . used to go to a farm in banbury that had self unloading trailers just used to discharge into the blower but looking good gav ;) ;)

ive seen a few off these in my time have put a couple off silos up the harvest store type  these used to be common kit but i think clamps and big bales have taken over  but i know a farm in welshpool still use them . used to go to a farm in banbury that had self unloading trailers just used to discharge into the blower but looking good gav ;) ;)

same her graham, seen a farmer put silage sides on a couple of old (new then) kidd XC feed wagons

I demand you stop all this scratch building now GAV.........green (with envy) is not my colour  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Looks awesome you are really doing some great work.  :P :P

Thanks and to answer your request, I've given it some thought and ...... well..... the answers NO ;D::):D :D :D :D ;)

I hadn't a clue what he was talking about when he asked me to build it, I'm glad he found someone to build it in the end.  :)

Have you built the blower yet??

I hadn't got a clue either until I saw the pictures, stirred a memory of a pic I'd seen in a kids Usborne book years ago. Not started the blower yet, thats going to be the more awkward of the two to build I believe :-\

Holy Smoke Gavin I'm crying with happiness you are one hell of a scratch builder ;) Thanks Gav. This is like the Oscars, I'd like to thank The Other Green for helping me find the info on the blower and deck and Gav for the build :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Holly Berry eat your heart out. Now I'll get building the silo ;) Here's two pics of both now decomissioned silos near me. I just have to go now to find some 9 inch pvc pipe ;)

post-77-132638565136_thumb.jpg

post-77-132638565142_thumb.jpg

Holy Smoke Gavin I'm crying with happiness you are one hell of a scratch builder ;) Thanks Gav. This is like the Oscars, I'd like to thank The Other Green for helping me find the info on the blower and deck and Gav for the build :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Holly Berry eat your heart out. Now I'll get building the silo ;) Here's two pics of both now decomissioned silos near me. I just have to go now to find some 9 inch pvc pipe ;)

Thanks Garret, only too glad to be of assistance. You've made me blush now :-[:D :D ;)

I'm glad that you had the info on this as I spent over an hour yesterday afternoon trying to find colour pictures of it on the internet with no success, all I could find was the document that you had sent me :-\

how u get forage out again?

shear grab bite into the metal???  :D :D

There's an unloader at the base of the silo it's like a chainsaw, cuts into the forage and feeds  out into a conveyer or straight into the forage wagon

The farm with one of these silos still has two trailers with unloaders attached. They are now used as wagons to ferry dung to a spreader in the field. Not a bad use of redundant kit.

A question for you on silage.

Silage bakes are they stored inside the barn or are they staked up outside on a real farm ???

Mike you can store your silage bales outside, just as long as there on dry ground a little bed of gravel makes an ideal base for storage.

the unloaders in the permastore silos are awsome bits of kit garrett they work just like a sweep auger they just rip the silage out  :o if the silage has been made in the right condition it is better than any clamp or bale silage lovely stuff

One of the farms that I got the pics from is considering restoring the silo for maize silage, according to the guy who owns it, it is ideal for storing maize as it keeps better in smaller tight heaps than large pit silage. That's why I decided to make one in 1/32 need it for my dairy unit ;)