At work with Gav

Gav836

brillant pics as always gav, no such worrys down here though, havest is getting on well now. Apart from being  quite soft underfoot the crops arnt to wet at the mo but then we last had a big downpoor about 3days ago so they have been going okay the last 2days.  :) :)

Nice pictures and video. You have straight line with the plough.

I hope now that Marky don't see this topic so he can see how it works to make a straight line :D :D

Texas

I opened it up for him Bas  ;)

Good vid Gavvers.... more of that please... any job you do... we want video  ;D

been thinking about this for ages gav  :-[ but how does the press unhook at the end  ???

theres a hydraulic cylinder inside the end of the arm just pull on the lever to let go but dont forget to put it back because its a bugger if you miss it  :D

On the Kv arm there's a hydraulically operated catch in the end, pull the spool back to release it, then, as its on the turn over circuit, when you push the lever forward at the headland to turn the plough over it automatically pushes the catch down again, Lemken arms work on a similar set up. I can get you some pictures of the set up Monday if you like :)

theres a hydraulic cylinder inside the end of the arm just pull on the lever to let go but dont forget to put it back because its a bugger if you miss it  :D

Or if your press arm is old and worn and lets go of the press going across the field....also if the press is long overdue an upgrade due to worn arms that won't pick up easily...........I refer to my current press as "Spawn of Satan" due to how damned tempermental it is. I won't even repeat what I called it earlier in an outburst when it was playing up :o :o ;D:D :D

On the Kv arm there's a hydraulically operated catch in the end, pull the spool back to release it, then, as its on the turn over circuit, when you push the lever forward at the headland to turn the plough over it automatically pushes the catch down again, Lemken arms work on a similar set up. I can get you some pictures of the set up Monday if you like :)

Or if your press arm is old and worn and lets go of the press going across the field....also if the press is long overdue an upgrade due to worn arms that won't pick up easily...........I refer to my current press as "Spawn of Satan" due to how damned tempermental it is. I won't even repeat what I called it earlier in an outburst when it was playing up :o :o ;D:D :D

the one i used was quite similar to your gav, i remeber sometimes it would pick up and then randomly slip off any were across the field but it was the only one i have used so had nothing to compare it with i just thank heavens i didnt have to use it last summer  :D

I know some guys I worked with used to doctor it so they could plug it into the trailer brake and dabbed the break to release it.

Wow I miss ploughing........

I tried that with a Lemken press arm but couldn't get it to work, would release but not return the pin.

tell you what gav, all this dodgy kit baler plough pick up ect, your gonna be a busy boy over the winter getting them all fixed aint you :D :D :D just dont forget that little project your doing beet wise will you mind

The baler is sorted, plough is beyond repair really as the whole thing is twisted, at 15-20 years old its overdue an upgrade really so there's not much I can do to it. Got a project at work winter time as well by the sounds of it involving cattle barriers and a welder ::):D :D

As for the other :-X :-X :-X :-X

what ? catches ? sprung loaded pins? hydraulic catches ?

blimey you lot are spoilt ? when i used to plough with a press there wern't any catches or sping pins , it was drive forward till the press arm hooked up to the press & it would follow along, that was it , nothing to go wrong & it worked perfectly well & had no problem with it  :)

also had to carry a chain to tow it back into line  ::)

or out of the hedges  :-\

or even back off the main road when it had actually gone through the hedge  :-\ :o

or even as in one case from out of the wreckage of an old chaps greenhouse  :-[:-[

as when you ploughed down a slight incline & it would run away on it's own :-[

we didn't need telly , we made our own excitement  :D :D :D

what ? catches ? sprung loaded pins? hydraulic catches ?

blimey you lot are spoilt ? when i used to plough with a press there wern't any catches or sping pins , it was drive forward till the press arm hooked up to the press & it would follow along, that was it , nothing to go wrong & it worked perfectly well & had no problem with it  :)

also had to carry a chain to tow it back into line   ::)

or out of the hedges   :-\

or even back off the main road when it had actually gone through the hedge  :-\ :o

or even as in one case from out of the wreckage of an old chaps greenhouse   :-[:-[

as when you ploughed down a slight incline & it would run away on it's own :-[

we didn't need telly , we made our own excitement  :D :D :D

That should be in Qoute of the day, so was all that in just one day MJB ;);D Sounds like a fun machine to use then

no it didn't happen all in one day  :D

wasnt so bad on the more loamy/ sandy soils CP , but on the harder soils where the press didn't make as big impact on the furrows, yes the press would run away , but you soon learn quickly , soon as you reach the brow of the slope , you'd just lift the plough a bit & leave the press behind,& pick it back up again on the next run.