At work with Gav

Gav836

Colm i more than love it, i drove an identical one U1600s 1998 on a R plate  for 7 years prior to the U400. They sound lovely has to be one of the best engines ive come across 17000 hrs not even a new starter motor my boss only replaced the engine because Mercedes were doing an offer on exchange units and it worked out cheaper than buying various parts like manifolds etc that were getting eaten away by fertiliser.

Whose are the carrotts Gav???

'Ere Gavvers..... with a bit of luck I may get a play in a 7050 this week, the place I am at is awaiting a 6080 to be delivered but the front linkage/PTO is taking a while to arrive at the dealers for fitting. So they have agreed to loan their demo T7000 series for the short term. I may have to go off for silage but hopefully it will come before then  :P

Gav, are you still driving the T7030 or is it gone already? What is your final verdict about the blue machine?

Got the joy *cough* to drive one of these myself recently, an ex-UK tractor actually freshly imported, and I was impressed how much better it was over the dreadful T6000's. NH still has a long way to go though, lots of little niggly bits that start annoy you. As I have only driven it for a few hours I was wondering what you thought of it? Especially the build quality I would presume to be better on your old Deere as opposed to the NH. Am I right?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to disagree there, the NH was streets ahead of the JD in every respect in my opinion

Finally got my new potato harvester home this week, been having a look over it today and putting a couple of extras back onto it that had been taken off for transport. Its basically the same as the old one except this has more cleaning, more advanced electronics and a couple of optional extras that the old one didn't have.

005-21.jpg

006-19.jpg

007-16.jpg

Hydraulically driven diablo rollers, an optional extra the old one didn't have, they should prevent the rollers bulldozing in more powdery soil

008-15.jpg

Automatic elevator height adjustment, when activated will raise and lower the elevator according to load height, should help to minimise fall related bruising

009-22.jpg

The control box, has more features, including a programmable start/stop function which will turn on or off all harvester functions in the sequence programmed in instead of having to do each function manually.

004-23.jpg

The display screen, by scrolling through here the performance of each drive on the harvester can be monitored

002-25.jpg

Wide angle camera already fitted to the machine showing the larger cleaning area

012-12.jpg

I like it's ability to 'see' in the trailer to adjust the height of the unloading elevator. Quite a clever idea that and I should think the diablo rollers will be pretty good, do they travel slightly faster than forward speed or what and do they adjust their speed speed themselves as regards to the forward speed you choose?

Control box..... Blimey. Get your head round that!!!

(When is the NH coming to pull it then?)

The diablo roller speed is manually adjustable on the control box, there isn't actually much that you can't adjust the speed of on there.

I spent yesterday morning having a play around with the box (without reading the manual of course ;D ) pushing buttons to see what they done if I wasn't sure which is how I found the programmed start/stop function which is brilliant in my mind and will save me needing to press many buttons within seconds of each other. It switches the following on in the order listed:-

Digger share lowers

Automatic depth

Diablo drive

Digger web

Stars

Second web

Roller table (cleaner on box)

When the Programme Stop button is pressed it just reverses the sequence, raising the share last of course. All that I have to start manually is the discharge elevator and the agitation if required, will certainly save a lot of fast finger work by myself and speed up the setting in and coming out of the rows.

My JD is with us until early next year unfortunately.......just had a new fuel tank sender unit and some fuel pipes yesterday ::)

Yeah I guess you could liken it to HMS

We have a Puma CVX, MF 7485 and JD 7430 to come on demo in the autumn, maybe a Deutz as well but I'm not convinced yet on that one

I'd love to hear all about the Deutz, I hold thought that we would see more in my area if we had a dealer. The UK importer used to be based in the town I live on the edge of and thus there was a big following years back.