At work with Gav

Gav836

1 hour ago, Gav836 said:

I'm not surprised, I've been seeing some of my friends comments on Facebook from down your way as to how dry it is, it's unbelievable how it can still be so dry down with you after all the rain elsewhere in the East, it's not that greater distance between us really either! Hopefully you'll get some rain with you soon and that the forecast is wrong!

Cheers mate, but I have a feeling we are in for a cold, dry winter. 25mm of rain would be nice to set things in motion. If not, we will be having a lot of Spring barley!

I have to agree unfortunately, no rain to speak of in the forecast for here and turning colder in the next week. Hopefully we're both proved wrong. I think Spring barley could be popular around here next year as well but for different reasons. There's a lot of decimated OSR crops around here thanks to CSFB, in some cases neighbouring fields are a mix of one good stand and its neighbour is bare!

• 8 months later...

Nothing too exciting been happening so far this year, I've only done 5 days of farm work all year as the training side of my business has really taken off since Christmas when I took on the Pesticide training for two other groups and then work for another two in the past few weeks meaning I now carry out training for 7 independent training groups across the East of England. 

Just a few pictures from the past few weeks telehandler training. JCB 550-80 and Claas Scorpion 7040 on which I have done refresher training for one of our members.

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

• Like 3

I've started carrying out training for the NPTC Pa3 orchard sprayer assessments as well so getting to see a few different machines with this one. We don't do many a year though so not common still. 

IMG_4233.JPG

• Like 2

Did a little bit of pulling down for sugar beet back in the spring with a JD 7230r and seedbed harrow. That's the total of my tractor work so far this year and not planning much during harvest yet either due to training commitments. 

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gav836 said:

No, still got Pumas, Maxxums and a couple of Quadtracs on that farm Paul. 

,why the fendt then Gav? i know a couple of velcourt farms have gone from new holland combines to claas ones,they allways ran case tractors and new holland combines,mind you that fendt combo looks impressive

Edited by Paul Palmer

Our local Agco agent told me that the reason they sell lots of 936s and very few 939s is because the extra 30hp on the 939 is only available through the PTO...........therefore only farmers needing to power large 30 tonne grain auger wagons or wood chippers have the 939..............like Velcourts at Stamford.

Still,  Vestys at Thurlow use 3 x Case Magnum 335s on their 3 x 30 tonne RWs,   So do you really need the big Fendt??

On 7/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, Gav836 said:

I've started carrying out training for the NPTC Pa3 orchard sprayer assessments as well so getting to see a few different machines with this one. We don't do many a year though so not common still. 

IMG_4233.JPG

Pa3 would be useful to have as I use air assist sprayers at the vineyard

On 7/12/2017 at 5:54 PM, Gav836 said:

Nothing too exciting been happening so far this year, I've only done 5 days of farm work all year as the training side of my business has really taken off since Christmas when I took on the Pesticide training for two other groups and then work for another two in the past few weeks meaning I now carry out training for 7 independent training groups across the East of England. 

Just a few pictures from the past few weeks telehandler training. JCB 550-80 and Claas Scorpion 7040 on which I have done refresher training for one of our members.

IMG_4305.JPG

How much is the test now Gav ?

2 minutes ago, CMB said:

Pa3 would be useful to have as I use air assist sprayers at the vineyard

Sure I could sort that for you if you were a bit closer. Makes a change doing those sprayers to the normal boom type ones. 

1 minute ago, CMB said:

How much is the test now Gav ?

I can't give you a fixed answer on that Chris as I don't issue certificates myself, I sub contract to a much larger company who does that bit along with the pricing.  Would estimate £100-130 for a one day refresher though based on 3 people on the course. 

2 minutes ago, Gav836 said:

Sure I could sort that for you if you were a bit closer. Makes a change doing those sprayers to the normal boom type ones. 

The owner has been promising to pay for two of us to do this course for the last 2 years now (amongst other courses), but nothing has materialised as per usual. otherwise id take up the offer if I could afford it. im keeping money aside for my telehandler renewal which I think will be more useful generally.

3 minutes ago, Gav836 said:

I can't give you a fixed answer on that Chris as I don't issue certificates myself, I sub contract to a much larger company who does that bit along with the pricing.  Would estimate £100-130 for a one day refresher though based on 3 people on the course. 

That sounds cheaper than the original 3 day course at least, I forget where I took it now.

5 minutes ago, CMB said:

That sounds cheaper than the original 3 day course at least, I forget where I took it now.

Refreshers are only one day so should be much cheaper. 

As long as you have your Pa1, the Pa3 would be in the region of £210-250 including the training and the assessment fee as a ballpark figure. 

5 minutes ago, Gav836 said:

Refreshers are only one day so should be much cheaper. 

As long as you have your Pa1, the Pa3 would be in the region of £210-250 including the training and the assessment fee as a ballpark figure. 

Thanks Gav, I do, and will mention this to the vineyard (although they're more likely to want me to do my trailer test as I have pointedly refused to tow their trailer on the road)

• 1 month later...

Not updated this for a while as I've not been on the farm at all this harvest, I've still been training people all through the period. 

Today I had to do a Pa2 sprayer course on something a bit different though at a large plant nursery in the fens so thought I'd get a few pictures. The machine in question was an 8m wide spraying "robot" which is piloted up, down and across the greenhouses on tracks with a self contained generator on board. It can also pick up a large quantity of plant trays and transfer them to a platform for stacking and transport, all under the control of one man. 

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG

• Like 4