At work with Gav

Gav836

So should he have called a halt a bit earlier with a lighter load, noticing he was starting to spin?

Exactly but he just can't realise that as he's in a dream world some of the time. He has a light load on the trailer, its not even half full as the back of the trailer is empty.

fair bit of soil infront of the trailer wheels to, so that wont have helped, almost like a wheel chock. you got much more to get up then gav??

We have about 20 acres left to do now so around 4 days but its a race against the weather now.

At least he has his own personal chain

After not lifting any potatoes since last Friday we tried to do a couple of loads this afternoon, the same driver as last time however managed to get himself bogged down again and we had to tug him out backwards this time. He reckons he can't watch to see if he is starting to spin out as he has to much to watch with the elevator in the trailer as it is.......patience is wearing thin.....very thin with him, its like talking to a brick wall telling him what to do/how to do something properly and I've given up now before I make myself ill again like I did with last years student >:( >:(

At least he's carrying his own chain with him! Potato boys up here aren't even moving on the light land. Heard the big SP lifter got stuck.

Nice job on the booms, boss. Is the centre section OK?

Edited by jdc

That was under my insistance after he got stuck the first time although this time we had to drag him backwards due to there being a large wet patch just to the front of where he's sitting. People are struggling here too at the moment but no where near as much as up your way.

Centre section was fine amazingly, his pride has taken a battering as there's a certain two employs with evil senses of humour who keep winding him up about it :angel:;D>:D

Looks a bit different out there, Gav.... Just saw your inter-row hoeing pics....... :ha ha!:

That spud store looks like a slick operation, very nice indeed. Ideal for lunchtimes during these long hot summers too, I'd say..

• 2 weeks later...

It's our 6420s that spends most of its life hooked onto the sprayer. Think the plan is to cultivate the ruts out then plough it if the weather allows. We have had a 6820 on loan for a short while while our 6910 was having its head gasket and injectors changed but no pictures of that.

Had another go at the spuds this morning Tris and what you can see in those pics has nothing on today, got across the field once, ok so there were a nice pair of wheelins so tried a second end as its usually better when you can get on fresh lifted ground........BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG mistake, had to reverse out with the harvester using the wheel drive in reverse to claw myself out, was in to its guts all the way back, didn't think I was going to make it out!

Here we go again........one part days lifting due to bulkers not being available now the store is full, looks like we should be able to get going tomorrow before it rains again tomorrow night!!

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Thats the old store just being used to hold loads short term while we wait for bulkers just so I can keep lifting them. Never seen so much mud come through the harvester. The two heaps at the right hand side of the first picture are from what went through the harvester when trying to get to where I had to back out from Tuesday, the ruts were so deep that I had to have the harvester running to stop the digger web filling up with mud, instead it clogged the discharge elevator solid as it couldn't cope with the shear amount of the stuff going up it.

thats bad, saw a team out the back of truro today picking up the spuds, and they didnt seem to be anywhere near as wet as your dealing with, ok they were muddy, but i couldnt see any ruts in the field ,other than the route in and out they were using for the trailer teams

Thats the old store just being used to hold loads short term while we wait for bulkers just so I can keep lifting them. Never seen so much mud come through the harvester. The two heaps at the right hand side of the first picture are from what went through the harvester when trying to get to where I had to back out from Tuesday, the ruts were so deep that I had to have the harvester running to stop the digger web filling up with mud, instead it clogged the discharge elevator solid as it couldn't cope with the shear amount of the stuff going up it.

Ah so that's what those mounds are, ejected mud. I spotted similar piles in a potato field locally and thought it might be extra topsoil the farm had tipped there to fill in ruts and wet areas... :-[

We do also cart the soil from the grader back to the field it came off so there's a chance that it was heaps of grader soil you saw as well Chris. Always try to put it back into the same field for disease control reasons, any pests from that field stay in that field then.

• Like 1

Cheers Chris, seems we are allowed two days of dry followed by more rain at the moment. I know a friend of mine had a bad day on maize yesterday locally, he got his Jaguar bogged, one trailer turned on its side and 3 trailers all stuck at various positions in the field at once, the joys of Broadland marshland! We've not even looked at getting beet up yet, need to get spuds done first so I can get my wheels changed and plough on to get right behind the harvesting contractor, see if we can get some more wheat in.

Seems spuds are a nightmare, so I don't envy you with sugar beet to follow although you do seem to be on reasonably light land. Up here, the local teams are averaging 3 acres/day per SP machine. They've now resorted to using tracked machines to haul to gate and normal tractor to haul on road - the trailer is more like a sledge in the field.

Seems spuds are a nightmare, so I don't envy you with sugar beet to follow although you do seem to be on reasonably light land. Up here, the local teams are averaging 3 acres/day per SP machine. They've now resorted to using tracked machines to haul to gate and normal tractor to haul on road - the trailer is more like a sledge in the field.

:of :of :of:o :o :o