At work with Gav

Gav836

As requested here's a step by step of setting up a pull with the irrigator.

1. Irrigator is dragged along the headland from the previous run once legs are lifted and pipe disconnected. We use a bar on the liftarms for this as its quicker than lifting the stand everytime.

032.jpg

2. Put down the legs on the irrigator once its inline with the tramline

011.jpg

012.jpg

3. Take irrigator off tractor then take the irrigator out of gear

009.jpg

4. Press the Start button

010.jpg

5. Move the tractor round and hook the bar on the liftarms under the lug on the gun

014.jpg

6. Start pulling the gun across to field and stop when about 30m off the other end

017.jpg

7. Once pulled out go back to the irrigator and put it back into gear

020.jpg

8. Connect tap and pipe between irrigator and pipe valve

018.jpg

019.jpg

9. Press the pre-irrigation button so the gun doesn't start to pull in until the headland the other end of the field has had 15 mins of water

022.jpg

Computer now shows start and finish time.

10. Turn tap on then hope the irrigator starts working.......50/50 chance as the pump often cuts out, Usually involves frequent trips back to the yard and to the other irrigator before it decides to run!

Heres a few pictures of the pump set up :)

Pipes and pressure regulating set up, underground pump so not much to see of that :D

023.jpg

Pump control panel

024.jpg

Pump control panel lights, yellow one means its running, any red ones and the fun begins ::)

025.jpg

This is whats called a Murphy Guage, its what controls the pump and will cut the pump out if there is a problem or when the gun has pulled in to the irrigator. The left had needle is the low pressure cut out at 6 Bar so in the event of a blow out the pump cuts off. Right hand needle is the high pressure cut out set at 14 Bar so if needle hits that when the gun pulls in the pump switches off. Middle needle is the operating pressure

026.jpg

The step by step guide to moving the irrigator is very interesting, thanks for that. I often see a massey round here with a linkage mounted bar offset to one side and wondered what it was usd for, now I know.

One other question that i thought of when walking the dog past a working irrigator drum today was that as more pipe is wound on the diameter increases so the pull speed will also increase. Does the drum speed slow or is the difference in water application not enough to wporry about?

Glad I could help unravel a mystery :D

The pull speed doesn't alter as, in our case, its set to retract at 42m/hr so regardless of how many wraps are on the drum the computer will control everything to make sure that the application rate stays at 15 mm or 18mm of water depending on which reel it is ;)

The pull speed doesn't alter as, in our case, its set to retract at 42m/hr so regardless of how many wraps are on the drum the computer will control everything to make sure that the application rate stays at 15 mm or 18mm of water depending on which reel it is ;)

Very clever then. Thanks for that  :)

Gav do you use a trailer for the pipes like your other job??, any pictures if you can? ???

We do (short of sky hooks can't think of another way of moving 9m long pipes about ::):D :D) Will see what I can do, its nothing special just a heavily modified ferguson trailer, got to have it into the workshop to weld it up anyway.

This is why we keep the back window shut when pulling a gun out, done this most of the way down the field on one pull today

001.jpg

Looks complicated  ;D but great pictures  ;)

Thats what I thought until I started doing it, its the re-programing of the computer thats the complicated bit :D :D

Put any N on the spuds before irragation Gav? wash it in like.

They've long since had all of their N Ol, some before planting then a little just after they were through before the first irrigation pass

A couple of pictures of how the Saturna fields look at the minute, these are the first and second fields that we planted, lots of top on them and the first field is in full flower :)

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Here's the only two pics I got at the Norfolk Show today, first is a rather large spayer :o and the second is a local contractors new 434S with toe-tip bucket, was talking to its driver today, he was dribbling over it :D :D

014-1.jpg

013.jpg

Yeah, done a maize season with them. They've been out here today doing some wholecrop and grass silage for us, no pictures though as they were too far away for me to go to the field

Heres a few pictures from Cambride Machinery Sale this week

Couple of general ones of the tractors

004.jpg

003.jpg

Nice line up of 6610's, V reg one struggled to £11600 :o

005.jpg

2002 6810 Autopower that made £12000

006-1.jpg

Heres a few pictures from Cambride Machinery Sale this week

Couple of general ones of the tractors

Nice line up of 6610's, V reg one struggled to £11600 :o

2002 6810 Autopower that made £12000

Shame. Some of the best tractors ever made..........

How many tractors in total there Gav?

Our neighbour managed to get combining again today so I've baled my first straw of the season, seems to be a lot of it as well. Neighbours combine is a 2001 Lexion 440 which is shared with another local farmer who owns the Claas Ares 836 and trailer in the pictures. If all goes to plan the straw should be going to Bernard Matthews for the turkey huts.

010-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

009-3.jpg