At work with Gav

Gav836

They were moving barley from the potato store to the corn store yesterday apparently he's bent the pipe rack over on the trailer, ripped the brake pipe off the axle and the tailboard hoses are ripped off, he reckons they caught on the lift arms when turning............what a load of ballcocks, must think we fell off the last banana boat ::)

you did but and landed on the bannana tree and hit every bent banana branch on the way down

Here's a few pictures of the new Baselier topper we bought today, it was only decided that we needed another one last night so we've acted fast. Basic problem is the old one topped the ridges then dropped it straight back down again which was causing the harvester to block up, yesterday it took 2.5 hours to unblock the star seperation and roller table and repair the driveshaft in the process. The new topper has a conveyer in it which collects the tops and sprays them out to the side out of the way, we were after a used one but there's no about so we had a demo of this one and its staying with us, my forwards speed has increased as has the cleaning of the potatoes.

001-5.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-4.jpg

Its a horrible job Will, the haulm is like rope when it wraps around something, just won't break up this year, the chemical we used to kill the haulm off hasn't worked very well for some reason, just have to use a beet hook and pull it out a bit at a time >:(

Its a case of whats available Mark, there were no Standen machines about, these ones come highly recommended by Standen and I can see why now, our neighbour has bought a big one this year as well. Its identical to our existing one only with the addition of a cross conveyor

you'll regret the conveyer type topper when you try to plough, the tops lying in rows block in the plough if you are ploughing in the same lines as the potatoes were drilled

now forgive me ifi am being silly, but dont you alway plough at 90 degrees to the old crops line?? wheat beet spuds what ever, where ever possible, so the soils well turned and you dont get them issues, thats what we did where ever possible, planted the new crop the same way

The conveyor is actually spreading them the full width of the previous pass so don't see why I should have any problems ploughing them in especially as they are chopped up, the old topper was rubbish and left the things whole meaning they went through the harvester in lumps which are a nightmare to plough in. Got a decent plough now anyway so it won't block up like that Kverneland crap we had before

A few pictures from today. The first one is where there was a problem with the de-stoner, left a massive pile of stones on the bed spring time, wouldn't have done the harvester of the topper any good had I have hit them :o

010-4.jpg

It takes 4 beds like this one to heap up a 14 ton trailer with as many spuds as I can get on it

009-5.jpg

Good crop of spuds as well, shame I can't keep the soil in the digger web till the end of it as it acts as a cushion, its just too dry to stay in :-\

002-7.jpg

008-3.jpg

Very dry indeed Gavin, what variety were you lifting? Luckily the Baselier topper still does you proud. How wide is that harvester (the actuall web, 60" and lifting 72" beds or something?

The variety is Pentland Dell on contract with McCains.The digger web is 1700mm wide and beds are 1500mm

what sort of speed do you have to go at gav?

When its as dry as it is now I'm pushing the harvester at speeds up to 6kph, would be quicker still if it was a lighter crop and not so many stones going through it