At work with Gav

Gav836

i have seen info saying that jd are behind on engine technology compaired to the likes of nh and mf/fendt and the rest, and may struggle to meet the new emissions rules to, as they went down a different route to the rest and it didnt work, sure jez will tell me if thats wrong, but 5 l average more is a hell of a difference, its great that all have been tested under the same conditions, really shows the differences nicely , but i cant belive it took 10 months to get a demo in, thought you were going for a 7930 to??

Not really sean... we are using a different technology that offers different advantages for interim tier 4.... All other manufacturers are more or less using what their engine suppliers are giving them... e.g on the smaller NH tractors they will use the same technology as us.. but on the larger ones the UREA treatment.. Also all engines will end up the same more or less... also we can make and use tier 3 engines for longer because we make our own engines...

I am very surprised at your figures gav... did the dealer just drop it off and leave??

Hope not...  >:(

Thats exactly the problem Jack, the basic frame of the tractor and cab dates back to the 90's, they're way behind the times with features and operator comfort. The 7530 has to be the noisiest new tractor I've had on demo, it rattles like a bag of spanners at certain revs and is still thirsty despite more tweaks today, 29-32 ltrs an hour downhill and 30-35 uphill

My personal opinion as a driver of 6000/10 and now 30 series is that the 6000 were the best tractors ever produced by Deere. The 30 series have differences but its probably true that Deere need a massive revamp on a 20 year old design. I do like my Deeres which probably influences my opinion somewhat but I think they are still a competative tractor. Your views and observations have been very informative though Gav.

Yes they are all around the same price Sean despite a certain dealers trick of pricing a base spec model to be cheapest.......didn't bank on me rumbling what he was up to and speccing it up to match the others ::)

Interesting discussion in here... I'm surprised at the Deere dealer really... not a good demo to just leave you to it Gav... don't get me wrong.. I am not suggesting you don't know what you are doing.. but I'd have expected the dealer to set it up to it's absolute optimum performance for you - with them knowing the machine inside out  :of

Massey Ferguson have written 'handbooks' on how to do a good demonstration... and how to destroy your chances by doing the opposite.. I suspect Deere have too... but this dealer obviously hasn't read it often enough.

I'd like to share one of my "How to demonstrate an MF" books... but I suspect it would be deemed inappropriate by MF to share their thoughts with the competition.  :(

I'm going to be hugely interested in your final decision... I know that mate

They haven't just left me to it Marky, had someone out for two hours this morning with me, incidently my predecessor at the farm who now works there and he's also going to call in again tomorrow and see how I'm getting on with it ;)

Nope, we know the fuel meter isn't 100% accurate on it but no matter what we done with everything in the computer we couldn't get consumption down to match the others. I even left off at a reasonable time today as I'd had enough of driving it for the day ::)

Oh dear... or... Oh Deere I should say  ::):D :D

Looks like you won't be joining the JD fan club for a while then mate

It's a shame really... but MF went through the same kind of thing with the 6100 and 8100 ranges a while back I guess... progress seems to 'leapfrog' these two manufacturers.. I guess it's the same for other makes too  :-\

• 3 weeks later...

The Axion was good Josh but just a bit too bulky for some of the jobs it would have to do.

The decision has now been made and we will be having a Case Puma CVX 165 with an extended 4 year/4000 hour warranty on it. Its a high specification tractor including 50kph transmission and air brakes whic we have been informed will add value at trade in time and the air will prove usefull at other times as well. Its taken a long while to decide due to having so much to compare but at the end of the day the Case had more positives to it on standard specification than the John Deere, one big one being a higher hydraulic pump output which will help with the potato harvester, another being armrest controls and 4 electronic spools, this being an £800 option on the John Deere just for the armrest with 3 electronic spools. Even at that specification level the Case was still £1000+ cheaper than a John Deere 7430 specced with cab and axle suspension, 3 mechanical spools and a 5 year /5000 hour warranty, theres having an excess of £150 to pay on each fault though unlike the Case warranty which has no excess charge

It does indeed Sean along with a nice big cab with more space in it. Delivery should be around May/June but hopefully before, salesman marked it as urgent as wants to get my 6920s traded in and sold asap preferably to Poland or Hungary (his words, not mine) ;D ;D