At work with Gav

Gav836

I also spotted this field when I was out near where I used to live the other day, looks like its been put into an arable reversion scheme as it was fairly poor growing land in a wet year, not seen so many poppies in a field for a very long time though

Image0128.jpg

Variable chamber Cerin.

Today I got handed the most hated job on the farm as our self employed chap finished yesterdau to have a few days off before he starts harvest elsewhere.......weed wiping the weed beet, the boss hates it and I hate it as well. Its a slow and unrewarding job with no signs of you have done any good for around two weeks. A certain farm management company have a lot to answer for in years gone by for letting things get to infestation stage they are on the farm now. Steed for the day was the JD 6420s which has a knacked 3 point hitch rock shaft on it at present so I had to be careful if the tractor hit any bumps as the weedwiper had 8 inches plus of up and down travel at the boom tips ::)

6420s and Edlington weedwiper

084.jpg

085.jpg

The weed beet......theres some sugar beet plants in there as well!!!

081.jpg

082.jpg

Because they are bolted sugarbeet plants so the genetic basics are the same as the sugarbeet crop in the field, the sprays that would kill the weed beet would also kill the sugarbeet hence the weed wiping with round up and a few passes with the tractor hoe early on

As I mentioned elsewhere our neighbour started cutting his Flaggon winter barley yesterday, I've been dreading baling this after last year when it just shattered on contact with the baler but no such problems like that this year for me only with the net wrap thanks to my boss buying 4200m rolls that take two people to lift into the baler and the fact the net chamber is made for 3600m rolls at the most ::)

On with the pictures......

Lexion 440

001-40.jpg

002-43.jpg

003-35.jpg

006-35.jpg

007-29.jpg

Just a couple from the baler side of things......I'm in the dog house at the village pub at the minute as it bounced on the road outside covering several of the regulars with baley harns and pieces of straw last night :-[;D ;D

control box

005-35.jpg

The view from the seat, the Case dwarfs the baler unlike the JD used to, will get more pictures when we start gong again.

004-40.jpg

I think its a 20' cut, there won't be much straw about this area this year after all the dry weather we had during the spring and early summer, that was his best field as well. Lexions do leave the straw in a tighter swath than many combines do as well so there does look to be less than there was in places on there

We started cutting our winter barley yesterday afternoon, 22 acres done and baled by 8pm but then had some showers overnight and no real dry out today so this morning I cleared the bales to the edge of the field then cultivated the field this afternoon ready to drill the forage rape on Monday.

A few pictures from this afternoon

005-36.jpg

010-23.jpg

The readout from the tractors computer after I finished the field showing area worked, distance travelled, average fuel per ha and per hour and total fuel used

012-23.jpg

Not really ahead Sean, we usually cultivate where the fodder crops are going as soon as we can after the fields have been cut and baled so we can get them drilled asap

That field will be drilled by Monday lunchtime if it all goes to plan, should get the fodder rape off to a good start.

They haven't been round yet as in his words the other week "We'll give you four weeks notice as that should give you time to get it tidy"  >:( >:(::)

so are you ahed then gav? ??? wouldnt normally be doing the tillage stuff this early i guess would you?

guy over here Sean does that as soon as he can after harvest!!, took a bike ride today with Harry looking for stuff, he's OSR fields are broken up already! :of

no i am sure its the norm for big acreage farms, but ours was always after harvest and muck spreading had been done, that way we had the pads for the beet to go on rather than in the fields, even once we stopped the beet, you would never see the 1250 or 699 out until all the crops were in,

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a few updates, I've taken a few pictures from harvest so far and also got one of our students to take a few for me while I've been on the combine or baler (one of the few harvest tasks he can do without raising my blood pressure ::):-\ ). All of our winter barley has been in the store for two weeks and I put all the rape in the barn last weekend after pulling a 10.30pm and 11.30pm finish last Saturday and Sunday which surprised the boss, 40 acres in 11hrs with our combine isn't bad going especially without a rape extension hence why the stubble is so tall. We started the wheat on Monday as the spring barley wasn't ready and had got the best part of 100 acres in the barn by wednesday afternoon when it rained despite the combine trying to eat one of its own cross shaker tines Monday evening and a field fire on Tuesday evening.

Heres a few from cutting and baling a 66 acre field of wheat, well was 61 acres after Tuesday's incident ;D

002-44.jpg

003-36.jpg

005-37.jpg

006-36.jpg

007-30.jpg

001-41.jpg