At work with Gav

Gav836

• 1 month later...

Had a bit of a change today, in order to try and save some money on repair bills I'm now trying to take on some of the repair jobs on the older tractors in house. First candidate has been our JD 6910 thats suffered a failure of the front crankshaft oil seal. This should have been a fairly simple job however our one has a front pto fitted so its meant I've had to remove the radiator, oil cooler/air con condensor (the latter also now needs replacing due to my colleague dropping it and putting a hole in it >:(::) ), header tank, battery tray and air cleaner in order to remove the pto drive shaft off the front of the crankshaft to gain access to the crank pulley retaining bolts. After spending just over 4 hours on it today I've managed to get it stripped down to the point that I can now remove the seal first thing tomorrow morning and insert the new one. Here's a few pictures from today anyway.

The offending pulley and driveshaft

DSCN2078.jpg

Undoing the shaft retaining bolts. Allen key was used to hold the crankshaft still while cracking off the four retaining bolts on the front face of the ring with a 24" breaker bar

DSCN2080.jpg

The offending seal can now be seen with everything removed

DSCN2081.jpg

A little project of mine from a couple of weeks ago, the original weight frame we had for the 6810 was cracking up badly so I decided to rebuild it using much thicker steel on the original Ransomes single leg subsoiler headstock. All steel used in it came from our scrap pile and is between 0.75" and 1" thick so should stand up a bit better to punishment in future

DSCN2079.jpg

We don't need a tool box on that tractor as all it usually has the weights on for is topping or occassionally terra discing and the latter has a parts rack fitted to it, alot of extra effort for how little it would be used.

tidy but you should have incorporated a tool box wile you were that length

just what every jd driver needs to hand every day eh ricky ?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

looks a nice rebuild gav, as for the other job, you think you can get it back together quicker than it came apart mate?

Yeah, it should go back together quicker as I know how to do it all now and don't need to spend so long looking at exploded diagrams or parts to see how the come off. Need to get the dealer to come out and put a new oil cooler on though as the air con system will need evacuating and recharging to do it.

Yeah, it should go back together quicker as I know how to do it all now and don't need to spend so long looking at exploded diagrams or parts to see how the come off. Need to get the dealer to come out and put a new oil cooler on though as the air con system will need evacuating and recharging to do it.

The front PTO on the 8360 wasn't handy but was easier to get at than that! New multi-V belt too, while it's all off?  :D

Thats one of my jobs for tomorrow, check the belt and if there's so much as one mark in it that shouldn't be there it'll be changed. The shaft on my 6920s was easier to remove than this one as well. If it wasn't for the drive shaft the seal would have been done and the tractor back together again instead of needing a £680 oil cooler fitted to it and only being halfway through repair ::)

Continued from yesterday........first job this morning was to drill two small holes in the old seal, insert two self tapping screws then using a pair of molegrips clamped onto the screw prise the seal out with a bar against them. Wasn't too bad to do and this was the result

DSCN2083.jpg

The new seal was then packed with grease on the rear and fitted by gently tapping it in with a hammer and punch making sure it located evenly in the process

DSCN2084.jpg

The crankshaft pulley and damper could then be refitted

DSCN2085.jpg

This is where the step by step pictures cease due to the dealers turning up to fit the new air conditioning condensor/oil cooler and we were all working in the same area together. Finished result looks like this though, new belt was brought out by dealer today so I could fit that while it was apart. Engine was refilled with oil, new coolant in the engine and all started and ran with no leaks so a good result I feel.

DSCN2086.jpg

DSCN2087.jpg

The offending oil cooler showing the hole in it where it landed on the edge of the bonnet rails yesterday, new cooler cost £680 ::)

DSCN2090.jpg

Belt only took 2 minutes to fit as there was nothing in the tractor forward of that point and the front pto unit drive shaft was already out. Changint the belt is a major task on all our 6 cylinder tractors as they all have a front pto fitted so its severall hours work, if it wasn't for that it would only take a few minutes, just use a 15mm socket and breaker bar to lift the auto tensioner off the belt and feed it off all the pulleys and out around the fan before doing the reverse with the new one.

Belt only took 2 minutes to fit as there was nothing in the tractor forward of that point and the front pto unit drive shaft was already out. Changint the belt is a major task on all our 6 cylinder tractors as they all have a front pto fitted so its severall hours work, if it wasn't for that it would only take a few minutes, just use a 15mm socket and breaker bar to lift the auto tensioner off the belt and feed it off all the pulleys and out around the fan before doing the reverse with the new one.

We had every thing infront so that is why it was a pain! ;D

• 1 month later...

We've been doing some groundworks in the yard this week at work, we've recieved a grant for the construction of a bio-bed to deal with surface water/residue coming from the concrete pad where we fill the sprayer up. Not much to see with regards to this, just a couple of holes dug, one lined with sand, geo textile and pondliner and the other with a large container sunk into it to act as a sump at the moment.

These are the two machines getting the most use in the project other than our teleporter, the Case digger has now gone back as I finished with it last night after we'd dug the holes and trenches out, the 135 and mixer is doing all of the concrete mixing for the job.

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

The groundworks contractors have also moved in this week to start doing the base for our new potato store. The store itself measures approx 30m x 30m and will hold 2000 tons. At present we are only able to store half of our crop on farm, the rest has to go to a store over 30 miles away and the rising cost of transport along with hold ups caused by waiting for bulkers and the increased bruising risks have meant we've gone down the route of having our own purpose designed store built on farm. The building will be temperature controlled by 6 large fans so should give us the ability to store other varieties than those that we grow now.

Yesterday morning these 3 machines turned up, 2 Terex 9 ton dumpers, one of which is new and a nearly new JCB JS130 digger which I was hoping to have a play on but the contractor turned up to soon. I'd rather use a machine that size than the small Case in my previous post, they are much more controlable.

DSCN2186.jpg

DSCN2187.jpg

I'll try to keep this topic updated as the build progresses :)

Not at all but if you speak to any operator of tracked diggers they will all tell you that the bigger they are the easier they are to operate. It'd been over 10 years since I'd last used a digger before yesterday but within 10 minutes it had all come back to me with digging the hole then scraping the spoil off the grass without pulling that up too.

2000 ton bulk store Niels in 2 x 1000 ton bays, no boxes. Its not a case of we must be making money to erect our own store its a case that its costing us money in downtime and haulage with our current system and Walkers are getting more and more into the carbon footprint involved with their crops so with ours being stored 30 miles away we could see our contract with them being lost. As an example of costs, in 2011 it cost us more than £6500 in transport costs to get the potatoes to store add to that the amount of hours lost due to a lack of available bulkers or changing bulkers over at the grader then the new store should pay for itself within a few years. It wasn't unusual to lose 3 hours or more a day with our current system due to these hold ups, during that time I was usually sitting in the field twiddling my thumbs, its not good sense to have the harvester sitting still when the conditions are good.

Our builder/my sometime boss prefers driving the smaller machines, but it's more to do with his love of the intricate nature of the work (smaller project landscaping as oppose to larger excavations) than the comfort of the operation I think.

Gav, I can see why you are building a new storage just I wouldn't think you'd fit 2000 ton of potatoes in there. How high do you pile them up? People are talking about carbon footprint here but will be a few more years I reckon before the company's really start looking into it.

What system (equipment) do you use to store them?