1948 Nuffield M3

Gav836

I have managed to find a few pics of my old Nuffield M3 this afternoon, I have a load more somewhere that I will post as soon as I find them. It was bought for a very small amount in the early 80's when i was about 4 years old to be restored when I was old enough to help. It was found in the 4 wheel configuration but after looking at the model number it should have been a 3 so we spent a few years trying to find the centre wheel assembly which my uncle found on a scrap heap with nothing wrong but a bearing failure. Then started the painstaking job of cleaning up the body work and rebuilding the engine, sourcing original parts when ever we could, the spark plugs being a difficult one and costing ?16 each. Work was started in 1993 but then due to time issues had to stop and it recommenced in 1996/7 being finished the night before it's first outing in the september of that year and 3 weeks before my Father was diagnosed with Cancer, we often say he knew deepdown somehow what the future held so this is why we done it then. I have all the receipts for work done on this along with an original workshop manual, the tractor has since been sold due to space issues which I do regret but there was no other way :'(

As found, only with the Winsam cab removed, I even looked young then :D

scan0004.jpg

Engine back in, partly rebuilt/resprayed (loads more pics before and after this stage somewhere) :)

scan0005.jpg

Finished and at it's first outing, more pics will come when I find them :);)

scan0003.jpg

Beauty Gavin. Very few tricycles going about, so it must've been a wrench to sell her......Good memories though.  ;)

It was John, especially as it was the last thing myself and my late father done together before he died, I think if I ever came across it in years to come and had the money I would buy it back. I'd love to know where it was at the moment though as I know the person who bought it off me sold it on again :-\

Now here's some more pictures of her during the rebuild :)

The back end and chassis all stripped down awaiting wire brushing/sand blasting before priming

scan0006.jpg

Chassis rails removed to allow for better inspection of back end and easier painting of underneath

scan0007.jpg

Backend/chassis rails back together and primed

scan0008.jpg

From the front

scan0009.jpg

Back end view showing the hydraulics

scan0010.jpg

Engine temporarily in for part fitting, chassis rails and backend painted Nuffield Orange

scan0011.jpg

Engine out and painted, Morris Commercial TVO engine

scan0012.jpg

First day out and running under its own steam for over 30-40 years, myself and my late Father with it (brings a lump to my throat :'( )

scan0013.jpg

All finished-Front view

scan0014.jpg

Side/front

scan0015.jpg

Rear/side

scan0016.jpg

At work rolling on her first day of work at a vintage tractor day at The Norfolk Museum of Rural Life

scan0017.jpg

What a cracking read Gav, well done. :)

Ditto that... many thanks for posting mate... she looks like a cracking machine... and you and dad look proud to be around her...

What a resto... you just HAVE to find that lady mate and get her back where she belongs  ;)

Great post Gavin and excellent pictures on the restoration project.It is really good to see what came be done with a lot of money time and patience. I got my Nuffield DM 4 out of storage on Saturday for the first time in a couple of years. Charged the batteries checked fluids turned on the switch key pulled the starter and hey presto she burst into life. Went for a run around the streets and the kids all loved seeing it. I must get some photos and do a post on this one since it was new to my grandfather in 1957.

• 2 weeks later...