new 5 ton tipper trailer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cracking pair of scratch builds there, all need now is a JF viking

forager is next mate, got 2 options at the min, although that viking sounds intresting to, any pics

Have to find out the old 1's i think. there is this 1 from farmphoto

post-571-132638599692_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Excellent trailer there. When I was another nearby farmer used these type of trailer with a New Holland double chop forage harvester he also had a yellow wheatley silage traile the similar size.

thanks for the comment, and welcome to ftf as well, nice to see a first time poster ,

oh i say sean nice to see this topic again !  never did reply for the bale extensions , basicly the extension was two channed beams the slid up into the trailer floor rails & bolted , & yes the tailboard bars & catches just stayed where they were , so there would be a small gap between the trailer bed & the extension bed.

with my 5 tonner i strapped a railway sleeper to the end of the extension , so round bales wouldn't roll off the back , & loaded 8 bales on the bottom straddled with 3 bales along the top, no ropes , get back the yard , tip the trailer , bales roll off over the sleeper , straight back out to the field , then stack the bales later !

i think the biggest weakness was the lack of strength along the sides , would only take a few years of hauling sugar beet to buckle or stretch the 3mm plate used , the problem was it depended on the trailer spec , the MF 22 version i remember had the lower sides with tail board  hung on hooks at the corner stays , & for grain & potatoes that was fine ,  but for the higher sides  al four pannels were bolted effectively there was no top half of the tail board so again for grain & potatoes not an issue , but for beet the top pannel above the tail board had to be removed , thus loss of rigidity for the upper sides & thats when damage started even worse when the beet had to be tipped as the tailboard had to be released by hitting the ring over bar catch, then lifting / pushing up over till the hooks released the tailboard completely, thus severly splaying the sides right out , a braceing  chain would help but not much..............

WHOA..WHoa..whoa ..there seany, blimey my memory really has just kicked in !

the bar that locked the tailboard was attatched to the tailboard itself not the trailer , so when tailboard was removed the bar went with it leaving two caststeel hooks for the bar to catch into , so you may want to re-assess your trailer  :-\  the hay ladders were quite flimsy really, the uprights were 2" right angle steel with small blocks welded to the sides to stop them falling down through the trailer brackets , but unless they were tied or drilled & bolted  they jump out  ::)

post-211-132639184905_thumb.jpg

just one of them things i guess, the tow point takes 90% of the strain when travling so has to be the first bit to go, thats what went on our muck trailer, everything else was fine, guess adding greedy board to it and putting 6 ton in a 5 ton trailer over the years didnt help either mind