A question to the farmers.... for an 'olden days' to modern times comparison

This old Massey 712 Manure Spreader is claimed to be capable of spreading 25-30 tons in one day.. I reckon this is about 1963 judging by the code on the brochure...

So with one man... loading himself with a modern day tractor and a modern day spreader... (any type)... how many acres could one cover in a working day now  ???

post-292-132638600493_thumb.jpg

Tricky one to answer trouble is spreaders are alot taller than they used to be back in the day so unless you've got a really long handle on you pic fork your gonna struggle unless you use a ladder/scaffolding which would mean cilmbing up then back down again so you'll probalbly only do one load a day with a 10-12 tonne spreader  ??? sorry i can be any more help but please feel free to ask anymore questions as i'm here all week

Tricky one to answer trouble is spreaders are alot taller than they used to be back in the day so unless you've got a really long handle on you pic fork your gonna struggle unless you use a ladder/scaffolding which would mean cilmbing up then back down again so you'll probalbly only do one load a day with a 10-12 tonne spreader  ??? sorry i can be any more help but please feel free to ask anymore questions as i'm here all week

Mmmmmm.......  ???::)

All depends on amount being spread per acre really. I have seen a 13.5 acre field given 30 loads spread by a Samson 10 tonne in 6 hours. Working at a rate of 5 loads per hour spread that includes loading time that worked out at around 300 tonnes spread very quickly  :o change in 40 years  ;)

All depends on amount being spread per acre really. I have seen a 13.5 acre field given 30 loads spread by a Samson 10 tonne in 6 hours. Working at a rate of 5 loads per hour spread that includes loading time that worked out at around 300 tonnes spread very quickly  :o change in 40 years  ;)

:o :o :o blimey... I thought that may be the case... thanks for that... as you say... how times change  :o :o :o

I know where I worked during the winter they ran a fleet of 8 10 ton ECE and Richard Western spreaders, usually as two gangs of 3 spreaders and a loader and two spares, it was quite possible with a spread rate of 3 tonnes an acre of turkey litter for them to cover 150+ acres a day

Marky, with Agrivert we could spread 700t at 10t acre with a TerraGator 2104. I think it was per acre anyway. .. may have been per hectare. Either way 700t was not going balls out all day either, more of a steady hurry.  :)

did the spreaders brake down that regularly that they needed a spare on hand all the time?  :(   Good policy though if they were "written off on the books" as it keeps the gang going at max efficiency, assuming the duff one gets repaired before a 2nd one fails.

Marky, with Agrivert we could spread 700t at 10t acre with a TerraGator 2104. I think it was per acre anyway. .. may have been per hectare. Either way 700t was not going balls out all day either, more of a steady hurry.  :)

Is that loading with a 4 or 5 pronged hand-fork? ;)::)

• 1 month later...

The date of the Massey land-drive spreader is about right as I think the MF tri-logo came after about 1958 when they dropped the Massey-Harris name. As regards the daily output of these spreaders I suppose it depended on how fast you worked and how much dung the loader fork would hold. We had one of these spreaders around 1971 and it was nothing but a load of trouble, especially if you were spreading fairly compacted straw dung that had been in the shed all winter and was relatively fresh, we spent more time unloading the damn thing with a four-prong by hand as the bed chain would be constantly breaking. This spreader was intended for spreading dung that was well rotted and more loose and would work a treat if it was hand loaded and not piled up too much. One thing you did have to be careful of though, was not to have any stones, bricks or concrete blocks in it as these hard objects would always be flung forward and would give you a fair crack on the head, in fact there was an instance reported in a Farmers Weekly in the 1960's of a chap being killed by being clouted on the head by a stone in this way. Nasty.

Having seen the rate they spread the paper pulp around here, that kind of tonnage wouldn't surprise me at all. The crew who work this area have a pair of MX220's pulling samson spreaders and a 20 tonne CAT and as soon as they start they don't take long to shift a huge heap of pulp and spread it over a small area.

I'm a bit skeptical, what does "a day" constitute?

Did MF actually run the spreader for a day, or take the time taken to spread one full load and worked it out from there?

The wording could mean that the spreader has the capacity to physically spread that much in a day assuming it was constantly topped up, it does not have to mention loading or travelling which is an unknown given you could have a chain gang on pitch forks and a 5 mile trip to your muck :D

On the behalf of FTF, I will get onto the ASA first thing monday and get this "mess" sorted out! ;)