First Project?

DustyK

Question

Ok guys.  My first project tractor showed up yesterday.  Its a CIH 9390 artic.  I would really love to make it into a precision like the stx but I think that is way to much work for my first project.  Anyway.  I need to find parts.  From my other TIRE thread IM still trying to track down where to get these tires.  IM also looking for some one who has junked a STX precision. I need all sorts of stuff from it.  Work lights, mirrors, draw bar, engine.  Being we dont have alot of parts out there for sale I was hoping to resin cast the work lights along with some JD 9420 lights so we can all have lights on our tractors.  Im also looking for suitcase weights to cast.  Right now I need ones for my 9390 but will take any that you guys might want done in the future.  There is one more thing well 2 more things.  We dont have nice detailed rims.  Well at least no here in the states. On this tractor there is an outboard planetary.  If any of you have an Ertl NH or Buhler tractor thats the style I need.  I just need the Dual setup instead of the triples though.  I also thought about trying to find the DCP Versatile Big Roy tires and Rims.  That has the same design in a smaller rim.  IF any of you guys have these parts please let me know. 

Thanks guys

Dusty

10 answers to this question

Thanks,

It sure is a challenge for me.  I can tell you anything you need to know about 1/64 but not 1/32.  I have lots of learning to do.  Tires seem to be the hardest part for me as here in the states we dont have many options.  I hope I can change that some day.  And the other parts like lights and what not.  I might just have to buy a precision and rob the parts from it.

I hope I can make this tractor what it should be. 

I got some mirrors I can send you Dusty for 1/32, I had a guy pick them up for me at Spalding last year.....also I think one of the suppliers there will mail you items......

Let me know how much Rick.  Any chance you have the suppliers email or web address.  Mirror seem to vary alot across tractor brands.  BUt its a start.  Im searching ebay for a cheap STX and 9420.  I have both in my collection but dont want to strip them down to make parts from.

Oh no cost for the mirrors however the bloke who sent them put them on a row boat they took six months to arrive.........I would be willing to send you a couple sets just to have but they are packed away right now since we are moving......now lets see  addy let me go look for some address for you..........later today......

Oh no cost for the mirrors however the bloke who sent them put them on a row boat they took six months to arrive.........I would be willing to send you a couple sets just to have but they are packed away right now since we are moving......now lets see  addy let me go look for some address for you..........later today......

Thats fine Rick.  Im in no hurry.  I think Im going to rebuild the cab anyway to make it not so thick and add glass and intiror to it too.

I think you'll have to buy an STX to part out as at the moment, most keep their STXs and put tracks onto them and I'm guessing with exchange rates that would probably work out cheaper. Arctic customization isn't too common as the real things aren't found too often on european farms, although the newer STXs' are making headway. The same with the Big Roy, the model is a lot of money so disassembling one doesn't happen often (if at all). Isn't there a TJ series model in 1/32? would that have the wheels you are after?

I was thinking the same thing.  Im slowly working on tracking some parts.  Im mainly looking for broken stuff that retailers cant sell as a model.  It might be a good idea to get one and tear it down anyway.  As for the TJ, it is made my scale models.  The rims and Tires are junk.  I like to keep the detail up as much as possible.  The new Big Roy rims have the planatary and look good, although a bit small for the size I need I was going to try and make them work.  Im still thinking on the best route for rims.  I may just have some Milled out of ALUM and be done with it.  The rims from the Ertl NH 9884 and Buhlers are nice too but at 42in tall they wont fit a 38in tire either.  Oh well.  This is all part of the fun.  Im am also working on something new.  I know alot of you like to put tracks on the stx.  Being the perfectionist I am, Im am working on redoing the correct fenders for a quad track, and also some better looking wheels for the tracks.  Not sure when Ill get them done but hopefully I will have a few for you guys to buy if you want.  Im still hopeing for a new STX quad precision.  But I think my hopes are glim.  Not sure if ertl will ever do another RED precisionII or not.  Would even like a 2588 combine but that wont happen. :)  Anyway.. Thanks for all the help guys.  IF you think of other ideas please let me know.