Few pictures from round the farms *Updated on - 10/03/13*

Deere-est

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think she is on an R. Since it has been wet I havn't been on with them but will do soon. Think she has a new set of front tyres now. Hours I think are about 6k or so. A real gem she is too. My mate wanted to get her sprayed up but then though, she is totally original so to mask it under a new coat of paint may be a shame in the end si decided to leave her as she is.

Well this week I have been back at my old place of emplyment - would be there in a flash full time if I could - and the first part of this week was spent on the other ground the farmer owns up at Winchcombe in Gloucestershire. Gotherington Hill to be exact. First job with the kit left up there (being the 6900 and McConnel PA93) was to trim the grass and the bushes down the bridleway as it was starting to look a bit forgotten.

OutandAbout001.jpg

Next job was a bit of topping which I have to finish tomorrow. Most of the land is set-a-side bar two fields so I have made a start on the free fields, with the rest to do next week by himself I expect. First job was to give the slip clutch a spin though, these McConnels can be a bu66er when the slip clutch doesn't do it's job. A quick slacken off of the bolts, knock it in gear two or three times, then tighten them back up up again. As you can see, the tyres on this old girl arn't the best for the job!!! The 7840 is on the straw chopper back at the main farm here in Wiltshire though.

OutandAbout024.jpg

OutandAbout023.jpg

OutandAbout025.jpg

OutandAbout026.jpg

OutandAbout027.jpg

Then today I was back on the doorstep at the main farm in Potterne to fetch in the silage bales, missed the contractors who were there yesterday and today mowing, baling and wrapping!!  ::)

OutandAbout028.jpg

OutandAbout029.jpg

OutandAbout030.jpg

OutandAbout031.jpg

OutandAbout015.jpg

OutandAbout016.jpg

And with that, here are a few of the animals around the place. The farm is based on a suckler herd of about 40 with calves, bull beef - scaled down from 400 - to make way for Aberdeen Angus heiffers, 12,000 free range chooks and 500ac of crops/pasture. Tried to catch what wildlife I could but the two Harrier Jumpjets, two Hercs, two Thunderbolt Tankbusters, one Lynx, one Puma and one Merlin didn't help anything to stay still for very long  >:(

OutandAbout011.jpg

OutandAbout017.jpg

OutandAbout018.jpg

OutandAbout021.jpg

OutandAbout013.jpg

OutandAbout038.jpg

OutandAbout014.jpg

A top row on that trailer means a snapped drawbar. he made it himself years ago, fine for straw but not that heavy in the steelwork for silage. I only had to go from one side of the field to the other so it wasn't too bad. Not only that, the top row can be a bu66er to get off with those squeezer things. As for bird pecks, yeah. . . hell yeah. .. . seagulls. .. ..  Don't get me started!!!

Thats how I hauled on another farm, here though it is a ring fence. I don't have to travel more that 500yrds with the trailer. For the ease of it, it's better this way. Secondly, it is kinder on the machine as they arn't intended for towing too much really.

You've got a good eye for a photo Tris :) Some nice pics there, I particularly like the bridleway trimming shots, nicely composed.

Reckon that farmyards a bit too far gone for Barn Conversions :o

More nice pictures Tris........Lifting silage is a good job isn't it........Has the 3200 lost its door mate?

Its for all the times that you have to get out and fix the thing  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry lads couldn't resist  ;D

Cheers lads, yeah I love loader work Mart. Gimme a digger, loader or artic shovel and I'll keep quiet all day!!

As for the door, the frame for the bottom half is in the owrkshop minus it's glass along with the top door glass!!! I suspect a gatepost may have been invoolved or a barn staunchen!!

Cheers Kev, doubtful but you never know. Your going to have a brilliant skyward weekend mate!!!! Lucky swine. We usually see the bigger aircraft circling down here like the C-5, B52, B2, C-17 and the VC10 tanker over the weekend. Not the smaller faster stuff though.

Okay... I feel sufficiently at home now to show my ignorance to you lot :-[

But I've only noticed this type of tractor around in the last few years... but they've become really popular. What is the idea behind them..? i.e I understand they don't replace traditional-type tractors, but evidently they are very useful. So, it would be great if someone could explain the benefits of them to me, and how they compare with the traditional type of machinery ???

i cant quite answer that question but the main reason would be that u can tow alot with them hence not needing another tractor just to pull the trailer

Are you referring to the John Deere loader pics Mand?

If so, the boom has two stages so that it can extend like a telescope to double it's reach. This gives a greater height for loading lorries, stacking bales and spud boxes etc, industrial versions are able to hold steelwork in place for erecting buldings, lifting materials up to scaffolding etc. As well as this, pushing up grain can be easier as you can reach further forward without burying the wheels in the grain, as the same for muck, stone, etc etc.

The axles both steer, giving a very tight turning circle, handy for yard work in confind spaces. You can lock the rear wheels so that only the front steers for a more stable ride of distances. You can also selct both sets of wheels to steer sideways -'crabsteer' very useful when rolling silage in a pit. There is no clutch as such. Some have a clutchless powershift whewre by you just turn a column mounted stalk to change gear, others have a mechanical gearstick like a car but with a button on the side which is depressed when shifting gears to disengage each gear as a clutch pedal would. The brakes are activated by a 'dump clutch'. On the first click, drive is disengaged, further pressing of the pedal activates the brakes. A lot kinder on the left leg and it is designed so that you can ride the 'clutch' without damaging it as you would in a car. They are not specifically designed for towing, this is obvious by the sound they make when they pull away under load.Power is distributed via a torque convertor as most of it''s functions are hydraulic not mechanical. All in all, very versatile. The farmer I was working for had an MF390T loader tractor before this, about 100hp. He took ages to trade it in for a loadall/teleporter/telehandler, alwys umming and ahing over cost etc. Now he has made the change he couldn't do with out it!!

we have differant trailers to you ,we have dolly trailers  :) it depends on how wet it is if its dry we have a full top row but if its a bit wet we have three on top but in the pic i had 1 bale left over  ::) tipical  :D

You do realise it is illegal to pull a trailer like this loaded with a telehandler tris?

Hope you don't get caught mate. Has she got any brakes?

You do realise it is illegal to pull a trailer like this loaded with a telehandler tris?

Hope you don't get caught mate. Has she got any brakes?

Even if it was a rigid trailer I think it may be getting close to the limits of what the machine is rated for and in the case of yours Rich, way over the limit as most are only rated to tow 10-12 tonnes. You're asking for transmission trouble if you pull anymore than that with it :-\

Archived