Graham's Work

graham

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started installing a new milking parlour this week, on Guston Court Farm, Nr Dover. Here are some pictures of what we have been doing and some general stuff of the farm and some of the mobile milking bail that myself and brother-in-law built, you can tow it behind a tractor but my brother-in=law hires it out to other dairy engineers, we had to get it back from Leicester.

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF2037.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2040.jpg

There is an odd one out in the pics of the cows on the bail can you spot it?

One of the cows in one of the pics in the rosette room was the highest yielding cow in Britain in 92/93

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2057.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

These are some pics of the parlour taking shape, it will have twelve cows each side so it is a 24/24. so 24 can be milked at once.

The buildings are a bit old and light isn't very good but he seems happy enough with his new parlour, milking 223 at the moment but going upto 300. It's always nice to have your nails cut.

What is the little Ford Graham?

The cows look nice and clean and well bedded! Always a good sign of a well maintained farm!

the little ford is a 46  something it is a narrow version he bought it from a local fruit farm, the cows are high yeilding mate that is for sure

GRAHAM any chance of more pictures of the 2140 along with the lenght of the bonnet please

of course i can get you more pics p pete i will mesure bonnet tommoz as well  ;)

get any milk from that bull?

he loves it up there mate  ;)

thanks mate want to build one as it was one of the tractors i used to cart of tatties when i was 16. good tractors to drive even with the gears inbetween your legs

nice memorys then mate i drove a 3130 many years ago same cab nice and roomy inside that cab two look forward to seeing your model i will be on pics tommoz fella ;)

Unusual mix of machines there clearly no allegiance with any particular manufacturer ;)

He doesnt seem to have any favourites nash but the local case dealer has just stopped dealing in case and gone to massey. so maybe a few more massseys around the place soon.

Got your pics to-day Pete of the 2140.  The bonnet length is 59". ;)

DSCF2059.jpg

DSCF2060.jpg

DSCF2061.jpg

DSCF2062.jpg

DSCF2063.jpg

DSCF2064.jpg

DSCF2065.jpg

If you need anynore pics just let me know, should be on the farm for another couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

We finished the milking parlour to-day but still a few bits and pieces to do still but they milked the cows in it for the first time this evening and all went o..k. Here are some pics, they maybe helpful if someone is making a model, some pics are not that brilliant. As you can see there is a lot of schizen around already.

DSCF2069.jpg

DSCF2068.jpg

DSCF2071.jpg

DSCF2072.jpg

DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2075.jpg

DSCF2076.jpg

:) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics of various farm that I have been working on lately. The pics of the rotary parlour, myself and brother-in-law built 7 years ago with two other men. This is the first time I have been back.  Some you might enjloy some you might not. :)

DSCF2100.jpg

DSCF2101.jpg

DSCF2102.jpg

DSCF2103.jpg

DSCF2104.jpg

DSCF2106.jpg

DSCF2108.jpg

DSCF2109.jpg

DSCF2110.jpg

DSCF2111.jpg

thanks sean the rotary parlour the main benefit is it is virtully non stop once the first cow has entered they just walk on go round time they get to the exit they are milked and just walk off. unlike the heeringbone parlours where the cows stand behind each other once milked you have to get say twelve cows out and another twelve in it all adds to the time of the job , the rotarys are mainly for the large herds that one milks 340 cows twice a dayit takes two hours to milk them each milking there are hour meters on the pumps that drive it and on the clocks they say it has run for 13,000 hours up to now very busy bit of equipment , hope that explains a bit mate ;)

OK, next stupid question. With a rotary parlour, do you ever get a situation where a cow has gone round but has not been fully milked? If this is possible? How do they work out the correct speed? Is it variable?

Archived