Corn harvest - South Devon

RichardJW1

Nice shots - not so sure about sowing barley with a spinner though :-[

We also have a MF 30 2.4m so suits our 12m tramlines perfectly - a hoe coulter not disc like yours and row crop wheels on it ;)

I note a digger has been added to the fleet in your signature ;) ;)

Father and me are both not exactly over the moon about broadcasting in the barley, but its all down to my brother now. He decides....such is life.

When I worked at home I went out of my way to drill and tram-line, pushing in the sliders in the chutes manually and taking them out every four rounds, working on 10 metres. I guess everyone has their own priorities.

Yes, a Ford 655C has joined the line up, brother has just recently adapted a toe-tip bucket for loading corn this year......so no more lifting 4.5" augers around!!!

2enc186.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was digging thru the pics on this 'ere confuser and found this one of our first combine a 726 with bagger, must have been in the mid-'60s, prior to father upgrading to a 780 special - with a tank!!!!.......progress came in leaps and bounds  ;D 

zlxg1c.jpg

How's this then?

I don't really know when this was taken but its when the thresher turned up.....so say the '50s

The thresher is being driven by a Marshall (can't quite make out which series  ;))

There's a high Major E27N in the baler and you can see our old Nuffield M4 there with its nose looking out the gateway and a trailer hooked up

Picture1.jpg

This was a photo taken by the Western Morning News back at the same time.....

Picture3.jpg

.....and this was the inspiration to father buying his first 726 pictured above.

This one belonged to a contractor at the time, I'm guessing it was '62/'63 ish time

[tractorman, this is in the field up beside the main road where those old metal railings are]

Picture2.jpg

Tractorman,

Well I have these from waaaayyyy back, but the more recent ('70s & '80s) are unfortunately pretty minimal....I have some from dealer days in the early '90s but will need to scan them in - when I get back home

Anyway here's a few more from the days of the binder - an Albion binder, if you ever did!!!

Picture11.jpg

Picture12.jpg

Now maybe some of you folks with an historical excavator background maybe able to identify this machine - they were putting in the main water pipe in to Salcombe - way back 'then'.....you'll no doubt recognise this place along the road, Tractorman - just down in the dip by them steel railings

Picture13.jpg

• 3 months later...

Some excellent photos in this post especially some of the older ones ;) ;)

Its funny that you should say that because Father thought a Dyson would have been more suitable......oats will shed easy enough as it is without strong wind and rain to help.....another remarkable harvest!!!.......so by the law of probability we should be on for a drought next year!!!

• 8 months later...

yep some good pics,big hills too ............read about you broadcasting barley, thats the way the "experts" round here are recommending  we sow for arable silage or wholecrop........lookin forward to seeing " harvest on the edge 09"

steeper hills than yours round here worked to aint there richard, surprised you havnt got going yet, quite a few seem to have cornwall way, but when i was out south milton last week, i didnt see one field started, but did see the deutz(red one) combine parked up in the filed in the farm behind the garage in marlbrough, the one down in the valley ,pretty sure t wa sa deutz, they had it last time  isaw them cutting anyway

the broadcasting seed option seems to be used more & more on difficult soil , at upcerne nr dorchester we had chalk & flint brash , so seed was applied with an overum tive then run over with the discs, it was  very much a minimum input modest output croping system, had to be as the flint would take out a set of  reverseable points in 2 weeks & the discs didn't fare too well either