Tax/ Tax disc holders

farmernick06

Question

OK guys, first of all do tractors have tax discs  :-\ It's just i have a range of pictures and some do and some don't and the particular tractor im trying to make perfectly has one so how could i make one in 1/32 .. was thinking maybe find a picture and shrink it  :-\ Maybe a decal expert could do a couple  :-\

I'll leave that with you guys an interesting concept  :)

( P.S. Can anyone properly tell me the story of tax discs in tractors? )

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Here is the information you need regarding tax discs. All tractors should display a valid tax disc somewhere on the vehicle. Be it in the window or a holder fixed to any part of cab or body work. There are 2 main type which are both free. Number 1 is "Agricultural Machine" and second is a "Vintage / Historic" category. There was also a type called "Restricted" but I think it is now gone ( But correct me if anyone knows different ) The tax was charged at 40 quid a year until around 2000 or 2001 if I recall then it became free. You still have to display the disc at all times on the road or the plod will charge you for not displaying a valid disc if they catch you :(

Here is the information you need regarding tax discs. All tractors should display a valid tax disc somewhere on the vehicle. Be it in the window or a holder fixed to any part of cab or body work. There are 2 main type which are both free. Number 1 is "Agricultural Machine" and second is a "Vintage" category. There was also a type called "Restricted" but I think it is now gone ( But correct me if anyone knows different ) The tax was charged at 40 quid a year until around 2000 or 2001 if I recall then it became free. You still have to display the disc at all times on the road or the plod will charge you for not displaying a valid disc if they catch you :(

Thanks alot TS135A Driver thats cleared it all up, do you have display it in a field?

And im going to try and find someone who can scale an image down for me and print it as a decal  :) Thats the plan anyway  :D

Thanks alot TS135A Driver thats cleared it all up, do you have display it in a field?

And im going to try and find someone who can scale an image down for me and print it as a decal  :) Thats the plan anyway  :D

I wonder with it being so small would you see it or would it just be a white sticker  :-\ :-\

And im going to try and find someone who can scale an image down for me and print it as a decal  :) Thats the plan anyway  :D

I don't think you would need a valid in date disc if you only ever spent time in the fields but all you need to get a free disc issued is a valid insurance certificte. There is one of my customers who keeps 7 tractors on his farm. Only 2 ever go out on the road but all 7 have a valid disc displayed on them.

OK guys, first of all do tractors have tax discs  :-\ It's just i have a range of pictures and some do and some don't and the particular tractor im trying to make perfectly has one so how could i make one in 1/32 .. was thinking maybe find a picture and shrink it  :-\ Maybe a decal expert could do a couple  :-\

I'll leave that with you guys an interesting concept  :)

( P.S. Can anyone properly tell me the story of tax discs in tractors? )

How about using the small cirles from a hole punch ;) ;)

Way too big I'm afraid Paul, we have them on some of our Nuffields, the glass type with screw-on chrome rim, but theyre cast into the shroud under the diesel tank as they are so small. We suggest touching it in with silver and then green/red/ blue on the top half of the inner circle if you've got a steady hand/small-enough brush.

Corgi toys did some stick-on ones along with no. plates back in the 60's that are still on some of by boyhood tractors from then, 1/43 scale though. You might find some on ebay(?) I think I've got some that I bought there years ago.

Here is the information you need regarding tax discs. All tractors should display a valid tax disc somewhere on the vehicle. Be it in the window or a holder fixed to any part of cab or body work. There are 2 main type which are both free. Number 1 is "Agricultural Machine" and second is a "Vintage" category. There was also a type called "Restricted" but I think it is now gone ( But correct me if anyone knows different ) The tax was charged at 40 quid a year until around 2000 or 2001 if I recall then it became free. You still have to display the disc at all times on the road or the plod will charge you for not displaying a valid disc if they catch you :(

On the V5 my combine is classed as 'restricted use' :-\

i was always under the impression that if the tractor had never been registered even with the free tax disc it never needed them but if you do get the tax disc registered on the tractor it will always have to have one else you will get the fine.

as any without tax discs being registered wont get the tax reminders through the post.

Three of my vintage tractors are taxed and the class is "historic". All you need to get the free tax disc is a valid insurance certificate. I tried to do it only line but DVLA were asking for a MOT certificate !!!.

Obviously they had not considered the number of tractors on the roads or are they in fact thing of having MOT's on them in the future???

Printing a 'tax disc' for fitting to a model tractor is perfectly feasable but not so much for a cabless ones. On 1:16 scale models it is more feasable and for 1:32 scale cabbed tractors. Just photocopy a good clean old disc and reduce to the size you require and print on label paper but you will have to apply it to the outside of the window. Corgi used to supply tax discs on a sheet that you could apply to the windscreen of the cars back in the 60's, go on their website and email them and see if they could still do them.

Regarding the taxation rules on agricultural tractors/vehicles, there is no fee but if a tractor is registered and has a current V5C, to take it on the road you need a valid disc which must be displayed clearly, all agricultural and historic vehicles qualify. If you don't tax a tractor you will have to declare it SORN (Statutary Off Road Notification), if you fail to do this you will pay a fine of ?80. You will still receive a renewal form from DVLA every 12 months and if you decide to put your tractor on the road between that time you have to fill out the appropriate aplication form. Most forms can be downloaded from the DVLA website. I always use my local Post Office to renew my tractor tax, easier and no hassle. documents you need to show are, current insurance certificate and tax renewal form and some offices will ask for the registration document as well, it's all done electronically now with barcodes.

One final point, did you know that if your tractor is classed as 'agricultural' the maximum distance you can travel on the road is 18 miles in one day, total journey.

Three of my vintage tractors are taxed and the class is "historic". All you need to get the free tax disc is a valid insurance certificate. I tried to do it only line but DVLA were asking for a MOT certificate !!!.

Obviously they had not considered the number of tractors on the roads or are they in fact thing of having MOT's on them in the future???

You could be there Bill. The M.o.T. test could be coming for tractors in the not to distant future  >:( As was featured in Classic Tractor a few months back I think it was.  V.O.S.A. and P.C. Plod think there are too many unroadworthy and poorly maintained tractors running around on the roads which they class as a safety issue and want to change that. I can see the point as there are a lot of older working tractors that are a bit past it still being used on the roads. More bl**dy expense to tractor owners in the future  >:(

Printing a 'tax disc' for fitting to a model tractor is perfectly feasable but not so much for a cabless ones. On 1:16 scale models it is more feasable and for 1:32 scale cabbed tractors. Just photocopy a good clean old disc and reduce to the size you require and print on label paper but you will have to apply it to the outside of the window. Corgi used to supply tax discs on a sheet that you could apply to the windscreen of the cars back in the 60's, go on their website and email them and see if they could still do them.

Regarding the taxation rules on agricultural tractors/vehicles, there is no fee but if a tractor is registered and has a current V5C, to take it on the road you need a valid disc which must be displayed clearly, all agricultural and historic vehicles qualify. If you don't tax a tractor you will have to declare it SORN (Statutary Off Road Notification), if you fail to do this you will pay a fine of ?80. You will still receive a renewal form from DVLA every 12 months and if you decide to put your tractor on the road between that time you have to fill out the appropriate aplication form. Most forms can be downloaded from the DVLA website. I always use my local Post Office to renew my tractor tax, easier and no hassle. documents you need to show are, current insurance certificate and tax renewal form and some offices will ask for the registration document as well, it's all done electronically now with barcodes.

One final point, did you know that if your tractor is classed as 'agricultural' the maximum distance you can travel on the road is 18 miles in one day, total journey.

That's an interesting point on the 18 mile a day when taxed as agricultural. I'm sure many farmers must be doing far more than that in a day. I'm sure this rule is not adhered to and it would be difficult to prove by anyone given tractors don't have mileometers.

You could be there Bill. The M.o.T. test could be coming for tractors in the not to distant future  >:( As was featured in Classic Tractor a few months back I think it was.  V.O.S.A. and P.C. Plod think there are too many unroadworthy and poorly maintained tractors running around on the roads which they class as a safety issue and want to change that. I can see the point as there are a lot of older working tractors that are a bit past it still being used on the roads. More bl**dy expense to tractor owners in the future  >:(

"Oh my heid Donald". I would hate to think of the hassle factor I would have taking my 4 to the "MOT station" for testing on a yearly basis. It would not worry me having an MOT since mechanically they are sound and roadworthy I mean some of the judges at the shows almost do an MOT when judging!!!. I'm just thinking of the added hassle and of course the cost of owing and maintaining these vintage tractors which is purely for a hobby purpose and not used for business. I would hope that if DVLA decided on this course of action they would give some sort of dispensation to us vintage chaps.

is this 18 mile a day rule because the tractor is running on red diesel?

That's me broken the law nearly every time I hit the highways then  :( The last silage bale carting job I worked on was a 26 mile round trip from field to farm where bales were dropped off for wrapping and storage and back for next load. Can't remember how many trip I made on this job and it lasted over 10 hours so that ran up well over 18 miles that day  :o  

That's me broken the law nearly every time I hit the highways then  :( The last silage bale carting job was a 26 mile round trip from field to farm where bales were dropped off for wrapping and storage and back for next load  

Go to jail do not pass go or collect your money.

I have read about tractors being fitted with tacho's and running on white diesel for road work but surely then you would need an hgv liecence because of the weight?

I recall some word of having to use white diesel and fitting of tachos being the next thing coming along if it was non agricultural goods being hauled. eg Dumper trailers moving earth or rock or the like. I was told to take the back road out of the town and not along the high street to get to the main road a few years ago when working on a guys John Deere and dumper trailer while we were clearing top soil from a large garden plot which had been sold for a new house site as the 2 tractors and dumpers were both on red diesel. The same guy was also pulled up on the A96 for using red diesel in his J.D. 6820 when towing his own tracked digger on the low loader to a new job. Told him digger should have been on a truck, not a tractor towed trailer. Never heard the outcome of this incident before I moved up here though.P.S. H.G.V. licences could be next thing we will need to have as most tractors and even an empty trailer weigh in at over 7.5 tonnes

I recall some word of having to use white diesel and fitting of tachos being the next thing coming along if it was non agricultural goods being hauled. eg Dumper trailers moving earth or rock or the like. I was told to take the back road out of the town and not along the high street to get to the main road a few years ago when working on a guys John Deere and dumper trailer while we were clearing top soil from a large garden plot which had been sold for a new house site as the 2 tractors and dumpers were both on red diesel. The same guy was also pulled up on the A96 for using red diesel in his J.D. 6820 when towing his own tracked digger on the low loader to a new job. Told him digger should have been on a truck, not a tractor towed trailer. Never heard the outcome of this incident before I moved up here though

Yes I've heard of that down our way in Inverurie Donald. There is a housebuilder who is also a farmer and he used to use tractors and heavy lowloader trailers to move plant etc. One of his workers or in fact a self employed worker was pulled in on one of the A96 roundabouts at Inverurie since he was on his mobile phone. In addition to that offence he was empounded on the next layby and the book thrown at him for various offences.

As regarding the 18 mile rule, the Police only have to do a registration check and the address of the owner/keeper is obtained and from that the distance travelled will be known.

Tractors on the road will always be a bone of contention but the non-farming community has to be educated more on tractors as there are more accidents caused by people not giving them the respect required, only yesterday down here a lorry drove into the back of a New Holland towing a grain trailer and pushed it off the road killing the tractor driver. Drivers of other faster vehicles come up to tractors too fast and loose it. Then there are tractor drivers, coming home from town yesterday morning I was following a fairly new JD and mower conditioner, the tractor was travelling at 35mph and when it went around the corners the check chains or stabalizers were so slack that the mower was swinging right out on the other side of the road, absolutely stupid, a lot of tractor drivers need educating as well.

If you are on the road it is only common sense that your tractor must be maintained to a high standard, if you do this and anything untoward should happen then you should not have too much to worry about, in fact, I would say that tractor drivers have more of a responsibility on the road, treat everyone else on the road as idiots, they often are. I always say, with the pace of life now, a lot of people don't have a minute to live but you're a bloody long time dead.

We ought to start a new subject on tractor legislation, responsibilities and do's and don'ts.

As regarding the 18 mile rule, the Police only have to do a registration check and the address of the owner/keeper is obtained and from that the distance travelled will be known.

Tractors on the road will always be a bone of contention but the non-farming community has to be educated more on tractors as there are more accidents caused by people not giving them the respect required, only yesterday down here a lorry drove into the back of a New Holland towing a grain trailer and pushed it off the road killing the tractor driver. Drivers of other faster vehicles come up to tractors too fast and loose it. Then there are tractor drivers, coming home from town yesterday morning I was following a fairly new JD and mower conditioner, the tractor was travelling at 35mph and when it went around the corners the check chains or stabalizers were so slack that the mower was swinging right out on the other side of the road, absolutely stupid, a lot of tractor drivers need educating as well.

If you are on the road it is only common sense that your tractor must be maintained to a high standard, if you do this and anything untoward should happen then you should not have too much to worry about, in fact, I would say that tractor drivers have more of a responsibility on the road, treat everyone else on the road as idiots, they often are. I always say, with the pace of life now, a lot of people don't have a minute to live but you're a bloody long time dead.

We ought to start a new subject on tractor legislation, responsibilities and do's and don'ts.

Yes I think we should powerrabbit since we could be acussed of not staying on topic!!!

And I love that quote

a lot of people don't have a minute to live but you're a bloody long time dead... how very true

I am working on the assumption that a tax disc is a good thing for tractors... at least you have to prove adequate third party insurance to obtain one - I wonder how many tractors are driven on the road without the relevant insurance  ???

Lets just hope it remains free though  :-\ - I would have thought the government will be only too happy to find yet another reason to shart the Great British Farmer (what's left of him anyway)  >:(

I am working on the assumption that a tax disc is a good thing for tractors... at least you have to prove adequate third party insurance to obtain one - I wonder how many tractors are driven on the road without the relevant insurance  ???

Lets just hope it remains free though  :-\ - I would have thought the government will be only too happy to find yet another reason to shart the Great British Farmer (what's left of him anyway)  >:(

Marky ,I agree with what you are saying about tax discs and the need to have insurance. I may have myself bent the law on the occasions when I run my French Farmall cub round the block since although insured it is not registered. I should really get that done but the trouble is I haven't been able to get a serial number listing of the French models to ascertain the exact yerar and then get a confirmation letter form anyone. I don't suppose the "old bill" would accept that story though!!