Tax/ Tax disc holders

farmernick06

Question

OK guys, first of all do tractors have tax discs  :-\ It's just i have a range of pictures and some do and some don't and the particular tractor im trying to make perfectly has one so how could i make one in 1/32 .. was thinking maybe find a picture and shrink it  :-\ Maybe a decal expert could do a couple  :-\

I'll leave that with you guys an interesting concept  :)

( P.S. Can anyone properly tell me the story of tax discs in tractors? )

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Marky ,I agree with what you are saying about tax discs and the need to have insurance. I may have myself bent the law on the occasions when I run my French Farmall cub round the block since although insured it is not registered. I should really get that done but the trouble is I haven't been able to get a serial number listing of the French models to ascertain the exact yerar and then get a confirmation letter form anyone. I don't suppose the "old bill" would accept that story though!!

I am sure we have all "bent the law" a little in our time though  :-\ :-[ - I was more thinking of the big loads hauled by poorly maintained equipment really I guess.  I suppose if your tractor is not registered your insurance company would say it was null & void in the event of a claim anyway - they seem to have an excuse for just about everything these days  >:(

I am sure we have all "bent the law" a little in our time though  :-\ :-[ - I was more thinking of the big loads hauled by poorly maintained equipment really I guess.  I suppose if your tractor is not registered your insurance company would say it was null & void in the event of a claim anyway - they seem to have an excuse for just about everything these days  >:(

Well the insurance company which is NFU for vintage stuff were quite happy to insure two as not being registered and on the certificate is the serial number of them. The other one is my tracked Ransome Simms and Jefferies MG2 caterpillar. I don't go for runs round the block on that one since it plays havoc with the tar!!!!  Mind you Marky you have got me thinking I may be breaking the law with that too since I don't think I have the class of tracked vehicle on my driving licence. I suppose I would be alright  however if I displayed a set of L plates but then "Tractor Bill" would really be the laughing stock of the village!!!!

:D :D take us a picture as well then Bill....  :D :D

I'm with the NFU for my tractor as well... great policy... I think it covers up to 20 implements as well  :o - not the cheapest.... but bar far the most comprehansive policy as well  :)

Yes Marky I did promise to do a post on the MG crawlers earlier this year. I must get my act together and get pictures together and put a post in over the winter months but I'll pass on the "L" plates!!!!

dont lok to bad mate I would go a little bit smaller ;) If I remember rightly someone did fitted a tax disc on one of there tractor conversion on here, think it was a david brown tractor or white case :-\

I would if i could mate  ;) ;) The smallest hole punch i've got im afraid but does the job to me. And i have seen it done, was in CT on a classic NH or clayson combine.  :)

:D :D take us a picture as well then Bill....  :D :D

I'm with the NFU for my tractor as well... great policy... I think it covers up to 20 implements as well  :o - not the cheapest.... but bar far the most comprehansive policy as well  :)

I wouldn't be happy with the N.F.U. for my insurances Marky. I owned a Ford 6610 a few years ago that caught fire after an electrical fault. The fire was put out before too much damage was done and the local N.F.U. office were called to ask what should be done next. Their advice was to arrange to get tractor taken in and repaired and have bill sent to them.  Well this was done and when the bill was put to N.F.U. office they refused to pay out as it was an electrical fire. When asked what would have happened if the tractor had burnt out completely if I hadn't been able to put out fire. I was told we would have paid up then  :o So N.F.U. insurance stands for No Fires Underwritten or the No F***ing Use insurance company  >:( Be insured by them at your peril. Read the very small print to see if fully comp really does cover everything, because I didn't see the fully comp excluding electrical fires in my policy  >:( They didn't get any more business after the renewal came round. Bunch of con artists

I wouldn't be happy with the N.F.U. for my insurances Marky. I owned a Ford 6610 a few years ago that caught fire after an electrical fault. The fire was put out before too much damage was done and the local N.F.U. office were called to ask what should be done next. Their advice was to arrange to get tractor taken in and repaired and have bill sent to them.  Well this was done and when the bill was put to N.F.U. office they refused to pay out as it was an electrical fire. When asked what would have happened if the tractor had burnt out completely if I hadn't been able to put out fire. I was told we would have paid up then  :o So N.F.U. insurance stands for No Fires Underwritten or the No F***ing Use insurance company   >:( Be insured by them at your peril. Read the very small print to see if fully comp really does cover everything, because I didn't see the fully comp excluding electrical fires in my policy  >:( They didn't get any more business after the renewal came round. Bunch of con artists

Bit of a bu**er that. I have been with the NFU since 1961 and never had a problem with them. Your branch sounds like they have some questions to answer, I bet that if you were insured third party fire and theft, they would have paid out. You ought to confront them and say that a fully comprehensive policy is just that and wonder where they would stand legaly if you were to take it higher and further. Your comp policy should have covered you but, like you say, if it was in the small-print that you were not covered, I would say that a fire is a fire and you saved them a fair bit of money by not letting it total the tractor. Sounds like a fob-off.

My policy with them covers such things as fire also implements, machinery, trailer, load, even if what's behind the tractor is someone elses, I think the wording is, 'any implement, machinery, trailer and load, wheather owned by, hired or used by the insured connected at the time to the tractor'.

My tip.... Threaten them with the insurance ombudsman - works a treat every time  ;)

Tell them you intend to escalate your claim - they will give in eventually... if not immediately  :-\

That must be 16 years ago now and they lost the whole farm policy, the house and contents policy and all the vehicles and the N.F.U. membership over that incident Changed to a local broker after that who saved us 25% on premiums and got higher cover values too, compared to the No F***ing Use insurance policies. Their actions made them big loosers too when you think how much premiums they had received over the years with never a claim made either and over that they lost future business. Should have let the tractor burn if we had known what a bunch of crooks they would be to deal with, But it was too good a tractor not to try and save at the time.

What happened to the tractor in the end?

We got the tractor back all neat and tidy and repaired and were left with the bill for nearly eight hundred quid for the rewiring, replacing sound insulation under front of cab which was damaged by fire and a bonnet respray and redecal job. I am sure the dealer hiked the costs up as they were under the same impression as I was that the insurance company were picking up the costs  >:( This price also included the dealer coming out to the farm with their truck to collect the tractor and take it in for repairs. I drove it back home. The tractor stayed on the farm for about 3 years more and worked fine until it was replaced by a tidy low hours second hand 4wd Ford 5610 with a SQ cab.   :)

Here's my first attempt at a 1/32ish tax disk, with holder made from the clear plastic stuff that sticks to glass/plastic. I think it works okay... but I'll have another go at making a tidier circle later... :-\

TaxDisk.jpg

Looks absoelutly awesome to me Mandy, great job there keep it up  ;) ;)

Here's my first attempt at a 1/32ish tax disk, with holder made from the clear plastic stuff that sticks to glass/plastic. I think it works okay... but I'll have another go at making a tidier circle later... :-\

looks great!!!, i wouldnt worry about neatness!!, tax discs can be ripped easily! :D :D

Well... maybe Ben, provided I can get them consistently spot on. One thing I did learn is that it would be incredibly difficult to do them without long finger nails... they are sooooooooo fiddly :D

you havent seen Julies!!  :o :o :o (she uses them to scare the kids with! :D :D)

Perhaps should be posted in 'hints and tips'-- but the decals I make and print on label paper, I find that if you use the tip of a very very pointed small craft knife/scalpel blade to lift the backing paper off by turning the tax disc/decal backing paper side up and just sort of ***** the paper at an angle close to the edge and lift, this seperates it perfectly. I must admit though, with something as small as a tax disc, very fiddly.