Filling joints in plastruct/plasticard

JC

Question

I've just been making a floorpan for a model and had to fill in a few joints along the way, I thought it would be good to share with you lot!

As you can see in the picture I have made some angled joints and am now left with a gap where the parts meet, it is a simple process to fill the gaps and worth the extra bit of time to get a better finished article.

I've taken a small dia plastruct rod and cut it slightly longer than the joint I want to fill;

26-9-07036.jpg

Add a good amount of plastic weld to the joint to fill it up and then position the rod in the gap;

26-9-07037.jpg

26-9-07038.jpg

Add more plasticweld to the joint and leave for half a minute, just enough time for the solvent to soften the plastic... then gently press the rod into the joint.

26-9-07040.jpg

I have four joints to do on this part so I have filled them all, now leave them to harden off, an hour will be long enough in most cases.

26-9-07041.jpg

Once you are happy that the joint has hardened off you can file the joint flat with a fine grade file.

30-9-07.jpg

7 answers to this question

Top bloke for sharing that with us all Jase, a clever little trick. Can think of a situation where I could use this. Whether I ever get myself far enough up the building machinery ladder to get into the said siuation is another story though!!  :D