Ever wanted a closer look at a veg packer? ... Same!

farmernick06

Well i got a few pictures a while ago during the lettuce harvest of the veg packers, not really a technical machine as most of it is just a canopy to shield the workers. But nevertheless a striking machine.

Here are a few from the front, as we can see it drives over the rows of lettuce and the workers underneath pick them.

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

And here are a few of the whole of the 'rig'.

They were running two, one on a Case MX100C and the other on a John Deere 6400

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

Now were going to go a bit closer, i found this one by the edge of a field waiting to be moved. I took my chances and got a few sneaky pictures. Some are a bit absract  :D

IMG_3020.jpg

Firstly were going in the front

IMG_3001.jpg

As we can see the lettuce is picked and then passed onto the raised platform where it is then wrapped.

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

The wrapped lettuce is then sent down a conveyer into the back

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

And lastly a look in the back which can only be described as a mini warehouse, here it will probably be boxed. Then stacked and another tractor will cart the boxes back to the packhouse or farm warehouse.

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

And then lastly a few random pictures i took

IMG_3006.jpg

Emergeny hit button  :-\ Im not sure

IMG_3003.jpg

And lastly underneath the raised platform in the front was a small red wire, this being on the end. Im assuming this is like a last chance cable you would find on a chipper machine. Basically if you full under you can pull it and the whole machine would stop. I may be wrong so someone can correct me if i am  ;)

IMG_3019.jpg

Well done young Nick... I buy tonnes of lettuce... but I've never seen a machine like that working... what sort of lettuce are they picking... looks a bit like green batavia... or possible cos  ???:-\

Thanks Masseyboy  ;)

Thanks Marky, thought you might post in this topic  ;) The lettuce is iceberg lettuce  ;) It's quite an impressive thing to watch working or to look around when its left on it's own for a few minutes.  ;)

heck its a mobile marque  :D :D :D how the hell does the drive see where hes going then with that fixed to the front

You could have a mini disco in the back  :D :D And im not sure Sean, infact im not sure there is a driver until the end of the row then he jumps in to turn around. I know they do that when planting the lettuce. It's on 'cruise control' almost. Unless there is a driver and if he looks out of the door to see if he can see the tracks between the rows  :-\ Im not quite sure, i can't really see because of the conveyors  :-\

You could have a mini disco in the back  :D :D And im not sure Sean, infact im not sure there is a driver until the end of the row then he jumps in to turn around. I know they do that when planting the lettuce. It's on 'cruise control' almost. Unless there is a driver and if he looks out of the door to see if he can see the tracks between the rows  :-\ Im not quite sure, i can't really see because of the conveyors  :-\

if health and safety heard about that they may not be too impressed  ;D

i was going to ask how he see too,

That's amazing... never seen one of those :-\ How many people can work at a time Nick sweetheart?

There quite an interesting machine, there are loads around here  :-\ Im not quite sure Mandy, at the front theres 6 of those cella-tape stands for wrapping on the platform so im assuming about 12 in the front maybe 4-6 in the back? Something like that, quite a few they need minibuses to shuttle them on the field  ;)

There quite an interesting machine, there are loads around here  :-\ Im not quite sure Mandy, at the front theres 6 of those cella-tape stands for wrapping on the platform so im assuming about 12 in the front maybe 4-6 in the back? Something like that, quite a few they need minibuses to shuttle them on the field  ;)

Awesome - a factory on wheels :o

That's amazing... never seen one of those :-\ How many people can work at a time Nick sweetheart?

i have seen a few arround falmouth way before mandy and arround this way to,on the banks of the tamar in the tamar vally,so gunnislake way , but nothing as big as that most are just open fronted platforms, not much wider than the tractor

Certainly some piece of kit.....Thanks for posting those pictures mate.....It's a vegetable I've never seen harvested..... :)

Thanks again Mart, no problem i didn't think its a very well known machine so would be good to put it up  :) And no im quite lucky to see a large variety of unusual crops to see grown and harvested  :)