Childrens Farming Books.

These books now seem to be very few and far between and those that are printed nowadays seem to be aimed at very young children and come in a variety of media such as cloth and board format.  Back when I was a child in the 1950's and 60's, these books were more educational and the artwork in them was superb and actually produced by professional artists and illustrators and the illustrations were very accurate to life on the farm depicting a farming activity and scene with the facing pages actually describing the scene and what was going on in it. I am sure that these books inspired a lot of children and gave them an interest in farming especially in the years after the Second World War when food was still in short supply and greater importance was put on farming and food production than is the case now.

Do any of you have or collect these old books?  I try to pick them up when I see them. I am sure that there are still numerous ones around. Here is a list of the ones that I have to date..... I will post up pictures of them later.

'Timothy's Book Of The Farm'.  by David Stephen. Illustrated by A.E. Kennedy & T.E. North. Published by Collins. 44 pages. Price 2/6. No date but around 1958/60.

'The Wonder Book Of The Farm'. Published by Ward & Lock. Actual b&w photos with some colour illustrations. 224 pages. Not dated but around 1955/59.

'The Boy's Book Of Mechanised Farming'. by Frank Griffin. Published by Burke. Aimed at the slightly older boy, 14 years I would say. Chapters cover farming from primitive times up to the time this book was published in 1964. 135 pages with b&w photos and drawings. Very interesting end chapter on 'future possibilities'.

'The Farmer'. Ladybird book from the 'People At Work' series. 52 pages, colour illistrations. 1963. Price 2/6.

'Farm Machinery' Ladybird book from the 'How It Works' series. 52 pages, colour illustrations. 1970. 'Revised' price (just as we changed to decimal). 15p.

The only oldish one I have is a Puffin book 'Machines on the Farm' from my childhood dated 1975.  I remember it was my favourite book and although it has been read a multitude of times it is in great nick.  Currently residing in a plastic wallet in a ring binder - I shall never part with it.

I reckon you must have been looking over my shoulder at Toytrac, Powerrabbit, because I bought both of those titles from the same vendor along with a young farmers badge and a case db badge. He showed a 50's/60,s childrens book to a couple, who bought it, I would have otherwise ;) Prices were originally 2'6 and 40p, a bit more now though. I do have another couple of ladybird books along the same vein but cannot remember what they are called, they are in loft, I think  :)

I reckon you must have been looking over my shoulder at Toytrac, Powerrabbit, because I bought both of those titles from the same vendor along with a young farmers badge and a case db badge. He showed a 50's/60,s childrens book to a couple, who bought it, I would have otherwise ;) Prices were originally 2'6 and 40p, a bit more now though. I do have another couple of ladybird books along the same vein but cannot remember what they are called, they are in loft, I think  :)

Strange that! No I did'nt buy any at Toytrac but I do remember those, that's why I did'nt buy them. The ones I have I have had for several years, picked them up at a book fair, cheaper at these usually.

I can remember going to the library when I was five or six and on my way out after getting my books, I noticed a farming one in the returned tray. Two books was my limit however and my mother said I could get it the next day, but I never saw it there again  :( It had a picture of two Ford 7710s cutting silage just inside the cover iirc, anybody else ever come across this book?

I can remember going to the library when I was five or six and on my way out after getting my books, I noticed a farming one in the returned tray. Two books was my limit however and my mother said I could get it the next day, but I never saw it there again  :( It had a picture of two Ford 7710s cutting silage just inside the cover iirc, anybody else ever come across this book?

i have one like that but i cant find it

I've got this one from when I was a kid as well as Andy B

Marvelous book that, it now shows its age.  Amongst other little gems, it has the old drag pea viners in it. (Viners being close to my heart and all that) ::)